What Cloud Drive will sync to a Linux Mint machine?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Fran_3
Level 2
Level 2

What Cloud Drive will sync to a Linux Mint machine?

Post by Fran_3 »

It appears that I cannot use Google Sync to maintain a copy of my Google Drive files in a local folder on my new Linux Mint 20 machine... or vise versa.

Is there another such service that offers as much, or almost as much, free online storage and backup?

After spending the last 4 weeks learning about Linux..,. and Linux Mint in particular... and configuring 3 machines...
and just assuming that you could sync Google Drive to a folder on the local machine...
I was surprised to learn this was an issue.

I was able to use Software Manager to setup Google Drive under Network > my Google Drive
And, I could mount it and see the files on the Google Drive... but they were not on the local hard disk.
And, when I attempted to open one of them (a GnuCash data file) with GnuCash...
and added a checking transaction...
then save the GnuCash data file back on the mounted Network > My Google Drive...
the name was changed to a string of characters.gnucash
and the added transaction was not there when the file was opened on a Win10 machine that was sync'd to the Google Drive account...
bummer.

Thanks for any help on solving this issue.
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Re: What Cloud Drive will sync to a Linux Mint machine?

Post by AZgl1500 »

my motorcycle forum is hosted on CloudFlare, don't know what options it has, most likely anything you need.
they are one of the Biggies in the cloud stuff.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Fran_3
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Fran_3 »

We have tons of our active files on the Google Drive and it is sync'd to 4 Win10 machines at two different locations...
So no matter where we go we can access the files locally with out having to download them first.

This works great if you are using any program on the local machine to work with the files...
programs like GnuCash accounting, Inkscape, Audicity, or whatever.
You just open the file locally, do your work, save the file on the local machine... and it is immediately backed up to the cloud.

So, I'm hopeful we can find a way to either sync the Google Files between the local machine and the online Google Drive as it would be a nightmare to try and migrate everything... unless we can find something with free storage and features coming close to those on the Google Cloud... aka Google Drive.
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi Fran_3,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your system setup like which edition and version of Linux Mint you are using. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

You should be able to sync your Google Drive using various methods and applications. There are no native free Linux sync clients, perhaps ODrive. You should be able to access your Google drive accounts through Linux Mint, but syncing them is different.

FYI: Any cloud provider with a Linux sync client should work including Google Drive. Mega.nz is a good one.

How To Sync Ubuntu To Your Google Drive
https://helpdeskgeek.com/linux-tips/how ... %20inside.

Sync Google Drive on Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa Gnome Desktop - LinuxConfig.org
https://linuxconfig.org/sync-google-dri ... me-desktop

How to Use Google Drive on Linux
https://www.howtogeek.com/196635/an-off ... -ever-get/

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 and 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
Fran_3
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Fran_3 »

Hello phd21 and thank you for your kind assistance.

I'm including the info you requested at the end of this post. Lots of stuff but basically the computer in question is an AMD 64-bit machine running Mint 20... which was just installed about 4 weeks ago.

I also looked at the first link you provided...
How To Sync Ubuntu To Your Google Drive
https://helpdeskgeek.com/linux-tips/how ... %20inside.

Case in Point:
I had already added the Google Drive account using the referenced GNOME Built-in Method...
So now on the Mint system I can click on Files > Network > My Google Drive
and see the files up in the Google Cloud.
BUT, as noted in the article this does not download the files to the local system...
So when you attempt to use one of the files... like... myAccountingData.gnucash
by opening GnuCash on the local Mint system and then clicking File > Open >
and then navigating to Files > Network > My Google Drive > myAccountingData.gnucash
It seems to work..
BUT... when you save the GnuCash file... the file name changes to a string of characters...
and any changes you did to the file don't appear to be there...

We can, as referenced in the article, drag the file from the Google Drive to the Desktop or wherever...
Then work on it with the GnuCash program on the local Mint system
Then, I guess, drag it back to Files > Network > My Google Drive
But compared to what we have been accustomed to, that can be problematic...
especially if one gets interrupted (as often occurs) and then forgets to drag the file back up to the cloud.

Oh well... TLDR I'm sure :-)

Here is the results of the two commands you asked me to run...
$ inxi -Fxzd
System:
Kernel: 5.4.0-42-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0
Desktop: Cinnamon 4.6.7 Distro: Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal
Machine:
Type: Desktop System: Hewlett-Packard product: p6716f v: N/A
serial: <filter>
Mobo: FOXCONN model: 2AB1 v: 1.00 serial: <filter>
BIOS: American Megatrends v: 6.04 date: 09/07/2010
CPU:
Topology: Quad Core model: AMD Athlon II X4 640 bits: 64 type: MCP
arch: K10 rev: 3 L2 cache: 2048 KiB
flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4a svm bogomips: 23940
Speed: 800 MHz min/max: 800/3000 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 800 2: 1800
3: 1800 4: 800
Graphics:
Device-1: AMD RS880 [Radeon HD 4200] vendor: Hewlett-Packard
driver: radeon v: kernel bus ID: 01:05.0
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: ati,radeon
unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1600x900~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: AMD RS880 (DRM 2.50.0 / 5.4.0-42-generic LLVM 10.0.0)
v: 3.3 Mesa 20.0.8 direct render: Yes
Audio:
Device-1: AMD SBx00 Azalia vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: snd_hda_intel
v: kernel bus ID: 00:14.2
Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-42-generic
Network:
Device-1: Realtek RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet
vendor: Hewlett-Packard Pavilion p6774 driver: r8169 v: kernel port: e800
bus ID: 02:00.0
IF: enp2s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:
Local Storage: total: 931.51 GiB used: 23.25 GiB (2.5%)
ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WD10EZEX-60WN4A0
size: 931.51 GiB
Optical-1: /dev/sr0 vendor: hp model: DVD A DH16ABLH rev: 3HD9
dev-links: cdrom,cdrw,dvd,dvdrw
Features: speed: 40 multisession: yes audio: yes dvd: yes
rw: cd-r,cd-rw,dvd-r,dvd-ram state: running
Partition:
ID-1: / size: 915.40 GiB used: 23.25 GiB (2.5%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5
Sensors:
System Temperatures: cpu: 24.0 C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Info:
Processes: 227 Uptime: 1d 9h 42m Memory: 5.56 GiB used: 2.02 GiB (36.4%)
Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 9.3.0 Shell: bash v: 5.0.17
inxi
$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0bda:0151 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. Mass Storage Device (Multicard Reader)
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 002: ID 046d:c404 Logitech, Inc. TrackMan Wheel
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 04ca:0040 Lite-On Technology Corp. HP USB Multimedia Keyboard
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
$
pete of ebor
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pete of ebor »

I used googledrive on Win XP, 7 8 & 10 and was a total convert until I started using Linux. Googledrive never offered full Linux support, so when I started 'tinkering' with Linux, I tried Pcloud. Seems to work for me. It works on Linux, Windows, iOS and Android. I can now access all my pcloud files on any on my devices. There was an app called Grive which synced Googledrive with Linux, but that was not 'automatic' - you had to manually sync before and after changing any cloud file. pcloud is fully automatic. It keeps all your files in sync. Does what I want it to do..
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

I'm currently using Mega storage for local storage sync between Mint, Windows 7 and Android platforms. Mega has a fine Mint/Ubuntu desktop client resembling the Dropbox client. It offers 50GB of free, encrypted online storage with up/down speeds comparable to the well-known sync services, and handles local file sync easily with the well-designed client. For over a decade I used Dropbox the same way, but when it limited free service to three devices - making dual boots "two devices" each - I tested and switched to Mega.

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/mega

(I'll throw in, one of my pet beefs about the available Ubuntu-supporting file managers I'm aware of, is the lack of support for online storage services like Google, Mega, Dropbox, OneDrive, that is readily available with several file managers on Android. I don't know why an Ubuntu Linux file manager can't display the folder trees and operationalize access to these online services as Android file managers easily do.)
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual booting LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook).
pnin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pnin »

I recently droped Dropbox in favor of Koofr.eu, which is much lighter on my aging laptop.

Koofr has pretty similar features, including desktop clients for Linux and Android.

BTW, if you use my referral link (https://k00.fr/3e5r4q20), then both of us will get an extra 500MB of storage... 8)
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi Fran_3,

You are welcome...

I have been using "Insync" for a Google Drive sync client which works very well. "Insync" is not a free Linux Google Drive client, but it is an excellent application and works with multiple Google Accoumts.

I have also used "pCloud" and use "Mega.nz" which also has very good sync clients.

The links I gave you before describe various other applications and options for syncing Google Drive.

I just upgraded (?), my system to Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon and Linux KDE Neon both based on Ubuntu 20.04. For some reason in my KDE Neon, the built-in Google Drive access is not working through the excellent Dolphin file manager, "The process for the gdrive protocol died unexpectedly". "Its an upstream bug . waiting for a fix ". This worked well before. The Insync client works though.

I did not see anything wrong with the results of the commands. Although you might check to see if there are any Bios updates since 2010 and apply those.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 and 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.

Return to “Newbie Questions”