scroll: arrows, wider bar for file manager

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
coyote2
Level 2
Level 2

scroll: arrows, wider bar for file manager

Post by coyote2 »

The only place I need scroll arrows (aka steppers) and want a thicker scroll bar is in my file manager, when I'm selecting specific files to drag. Since my trackball has no scroll wheel, I want to click a scroll arrow to change the rows that appear on the screen without messing up my file selections).

Creating a .css file with instructions I found in another thread didn't affect the scroll bars of the file managers I'm trying.

(Oh, and the instructions made the steppers but not the bar bigger; though I disabled the .css anyway since it didn't work on the file managers.)

FYI think the file manager I want to use is:
Krusader 2.6.0

I'll occasionally also use:
Double Commander 0.9.9 beta (I covet it's Folder Size functionality, but can't get it to drag-&-drop)

I doubt I'll continue to use Thunar 1.6.15

Mint 19.2 Xfce
diapason
Level 4
Level 4

Re: scroll: arrows, wider bar for file manager

Post by diapason »

I don't know anything about the xfce desktop but in the cinnamon desktop you can change the scroll bar width easily by going to Settings > Themes Click on the settings tab and use the slider to change the scroll bar width. It's worth checking if you have that function in xfce.

Otherwise, I have done this in the past by editing the Theme. In the code below be sure to change your theme to your actual theme name when you copy and paste it in a text editor opened with sudo.

Code: Select all

/usr/share/themes/your theme/gtk-3.0/gtk-widgets.css
then scroll down to scroll bar slider and change the width value. Save the file.
Then browse to

/usr/share/themes/your theme/cinnamon/cinnamon.css
then scroll down to StScrollView StScrollBar and change the width value. Save the file.
Close the text editor and reboot and the scroll bar width should have changed.
diapason
Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon
Evolution Mail Client 3.38.0
coyote2
Level 2
Level 2

Post by coyote2 »

Thank you very much for your helpful reply, diapason!

I found /usr/share/themes/Mint-Y-Dark-Purple/gtk-3.0/gtk.css

(Xfce doesn't have Setting|Themes, just Settings|Appearance when I've chosen "Mint-Y-Dark-Purple")

Since it's read-only to me I think I need to ask:
How can I most safely assume root permission to make a backup and edit the file?

(I discovered that "sudo -i" made me root in Terminal, but I'm anxious about typing the wrong thing there as root.)

Then it looks like I just change

-GtkScrollbar-has-backward-stepper: false;
-GtkScrollbar-has-forward-stepper: false;
to "true".
MrEen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by MrEen »

Hi coyote2,

For editing that file, first run exit in the terminal if you're still root there, then run this:

xed admin:///usr/share/themes/Mint-Y-Dark-Purple/gtk-3.0/gtk.css
Make the changes you'd like, then save and close the file, ignore the warnings in the terminal, then log out/in or reboot for the changes to become active.

I should mention, if you have that annoying autohidy scrollbar thing and want to get rid of it, the change to /etc/environment in this post still works.
diapason
Level 4
Level 4

Post by diapason »

I see the excellent Mr Een has jumped in first so just follow his suggestion and use xed. I normally use Gedit to edit files and open it with sudo to get admin privileges ie

sudo gedit
You would still have to do the edit to xfce.css as well if such a file exists if you want to change the desktop scroll bars. I incorrectly mentioned cinnamon.css because I only think in cinnamon! The gtk-3 edit only affects the widgets but I see you are really only interested in the file manager anyway so it's probably irrelevant.

Good luck with it and do make a copy of your Mint-Y dark purple theme folder first before you start just in case.
diapason
Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon
coyote2
Level 2
Level 2

Post by coyote2 »

Mr. Een is excellent! (He even knew the autohidy scrollbar would annoy me even though I hadn't gotten around to noticing that it does!)

I treasure learning how confine my risk to editing those read-only files, thank you very much, Mr. Een!

But while (like the thing I mentioned I tried in the OP) it worked where I didn't need it to (to be specific, for example on the Software Manager and on the window that pops up when I hit the lower-left Mint button; I guess it works on OS things)
...it did not work on the Thunar and Krusader file managers.
(I'm gonna make it less huge LOL.)

I did also make the scrollbar width change on
/usr/share/themes/Mint-Y-Dark-Purple/cinnamon/cinnamon.css
However in it I couldn't figure out how to enable 'steppers'.
Searching on "steppers" and "FALSE" yielded zero results. There were a great number of hits on a search for "arrows" but I couldn't find one that seemed relevant.
MrEen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by MrEen »

The overlay scrollbar thing was the limit of my knowledge on this subject. Once that was done, I was happy with the scrollbars universally.

I know there's an about:config edit for Firefox's scrollbar width, but don't know of way to do the same for Thunar. But I know there are others who will know, so just wait a bit and I'm hopeful this can be successfully resolved. This is certainly a theme issue, and there might be specific thunar tags that can be used similar to thunar.scrollbar.width or something.

EDIT: Forget I mentioned that Thunar stuff. I forgot you don't really want to use it.

EDIT2: Keep an eye on this thread as it's sort of what you're trying to achieve: viewtopic.php?f=208&p=1886241#p1886241
diapason
Level 4
Level 4

Post by diapason »

Pleased you got a result.
... it worked where I didn't need it to ... I guess it works on OS things ...
As I understand it most settings in Themes are global so you can't make a change and apply it only, for example, to file manager. I don't know why it didn't work with Thunar or Krusader. Isn't Thunar the default file manager for xfce? Perhaps Mr Een will know.
I did also make the scrollbar width change on /usr/share/themes/Mint-Y-Dark-Purple/cinnamon/cinnamon.css
However in it I couldn't figure out how to enable 'steppers'.
I think the answer is you can't because steppers are not available there. I don't remember exactly off the top of my head but unlike other desktops, Cinnamon has some Cinnamon specific features which are not in gtk-3 which is why there is a cinnamon.css file. For example, if you change the cursor colour in gtk-3 the changes are not applied to desktop items. You have to change the colour in cinnamon.css for that.
diapason
Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon
coyote2
Level 2
Level 2

Post by coyote2 »

MrEen wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:35 pm
EDIT2: Keep an eye on this thread as it's sort of what you're trying to achieve: viewtopic.php?f=208&p=1886241#p1886241
Yes it is in fact exactly what I was wrestling with before I just viewed that thread!
(In other words, I can successfully change the slider width (on those OS things that I guess are called 'widgets'), but I haven't figured out how to adjust stepper width yet.)

Return to “Newbie Questions”