Autocad Alternative

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
robiulawal
Level 1
Level 1

Autocad Alternative

Post by robiulawal »

Hello guys, I'm civil engineer, everyday i use Autocad. I tried many times install autocad in linux mint using wine but i can't. I love linux mint so it's not possible to leave linux mint . If i install windows in virtual box,after install windows if i use autocad how much ram i need? Is 4 gb ram enough for it?
Lord Boltar
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Autocad Alternative

Post by Lord Boltar »

With a 64-bit Windows 7 OS, AutoCAD requires a 1 GHZ of CPU speed, 4 GB of memory (8 GB recommended) and 4 GB of hard disk space for installation. Therefore, you will need to set up your VM with these parameters as a minimum. Then it should run pretty good.
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members

The only way for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing
zcot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by zcot »

Librecad is a good alternative.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

What about setting up Autocad in Virtualbox instead of Wine? That way it still thinks it is running in Wingewoes but cannot affect Linux. OR, you could dual boot,
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

If possible upgrade your machine to 16GB of RAM to run AutoCAD in virtual machine. 8GB would be the minimum installed amount of RAM I'd want to try it with to leave enough resources for the host machine to carry on operating normally too. I use AutoCAD but have never run it from Linux with WINE or in VM. I am also a qualified Civil Engineer but these days use it primarily for planning network and comms infrastructure for retro-fitting or integration into new build projects.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor

Return to “Newbie Questions”