MintBox LAN crash

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
RSaunders
Level 1
Level 1

MintBox LAN crash

Post by RSaunders »

I have a relatively new MintBox (MBM2) which I was filling up with files using rsync over ssh. A couple of GB in, the MintBox stopped talking on the net. Completely, the green "data" light was dark, and pings from other machines on the LAN went unanswered. The Cinnamon GUI was still working, and the box seemed oblivious to the loss of the network connection, unless I tried to browse the Internet.

Rebooting did nothing, but removing the power and restarting "fixed it". I'm not a fan of random power cycling, as I hope to have this machine operate headlessly once I get it configured.

Is this sort of thing common? I was looking for a hands off storage server. When I search the forums here, there is a lot more discussion of the Mint software running on a Windows box than on the MintBox hardware. Is there a separate forum somewhere else I should look in? If it happens again, I'll probably have to investigate, is there a list of things to check? I did a quick netstat, it was listening on a bunch of usual ports, including the ssh one, but there were no connections established. That didn't seem to tell me much.

Return to “Newbie Questions”