help with uninstall and reinstall please

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
CraigW
Level 1
Level 1

help with uninstall and reinstall please

Post by CraigW »

Hi,
I installed Mint 18.3 with a dual boot with Windows and tried to update Mint to the latest version but totally messed it up.
How can I totally delete Mint and then go back and install the latest version of Mint. Was I wrong to do a dual boot in the first place?
When I turn on the computer now it gives me the option to dual boot and I choose Mint but instead it goes to a black screen and asks for a
USERNAME ..which I don't know and a password which I do know, si that does not work, it never did that before. please help. Thanks! Craig
SMG
Level 5
Level 5

Re: help with uninstall and reinstall please

Post by SMG »

CraigW wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:01 pm
Hi,
I installed Mint 18.3 with a dual boot with Windows and tried to update Mint to the latest version but totally messed it up.
How can I totally delete Mint and then go back and install the latest version of Mint. Was I wrong to do a dual boot in the first place?
When I turn on the computer now it gives me the option to dual boot and I choose Mint but instead it goes to a black screen and asks for a
USERNAME ..which I don't know and a password which I do know, si that does not work, it never did that before. please help. Thanks! Craig
When you installed Mint, you were asked to create a username and then make a password as part of the installation process. That in the information the login screen is asking for.

I presume when you installed Mint you did the "something else" option in order to tell Mint where to install. You do not need to "uninstall" Mint in order to install a new version. You would just use the "something else" option again point the installer to the same place you did on the first install where it would overwrite what is there.

Also, I'm not sure if you meant to type Mint 18.3 (which is only updated until April 2021). Both Mint 19.3 (updated until April 2023) and Mint 20 (updated until April 2025) are currently available.

A dual boot is a preference and is neither right nor wrong. A dual boot can be a good thing because often BIOS updates are easier to do in Windows with certain computers.
LM20.0 Cinnamon
motoryzen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by motoryzen »

A dual boot is a preference and is neither right nor wrong. A dual boot can be a good thing because often BIOS updates are easier to do in Windows with certain computers.

-- I respect that point, but unfortunately I can't agree with it. I've seen time and time again particular Windows 10 updates and even some Windows 7 ones literally brick a person's ability to dual boot or even boot either os world. Grub and windows mbr are not and never have been designed to play nicely with each other also as one always ends up overtaking the other.

I couldn't agree more, however, with the troubleshooting ideas you get that person. *nods humbly* --
Last edited by Moem on Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed a quote. Make sure to always use both an opening tag [quote] and a closing tag [/quote], enclosing the quote.
missmoondog
Level 5
Level 5

Post by missmoondog »

motoryzen wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:50 pm
-- I respect that point, but unfortunately I can't agree with it. I've seen time and time again particular Windows 10 updates and even some Windows 7 ones literally brick a person's ability to dual boot or even boot either os world. Grub and windows mbr are not and never have been designed to play nicely with each other also as one always ends up overtaking the other.

I couldn't agree more, however, with the troubleshooting ideas you get that person. *nods humbly* --
couldn't agree more with everything you said.

thanks for saving me the time to type all that out! :)
Last edited by Moem on Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed a quote
pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

CraigW wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:01 pm
Was I wrong to do a dual boot in the first place?
I agree with SMG, it's a preference. There are pros and cons either way.
... goes to a black screen ...
Probably an installation error. What method did you use? In any event, please boot a live session, open GParted, take a screenshot of the drive (Alt-PrintScreen) and post it here, uploading as an attachment (option below text entry window).
CraigW
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CraigW »

thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it a lot.

Return to “Newbie Questions”