How to clone a computer and boot on a different computer

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
amit_27
Level 1
Level 1

How to clone a computer and boot on a different computer

Post by amit_27 »

Hi everyone,

I have an older computer that is running Linux Mint 20, I will be decommissioning this machine, so I was wondering how can I clone my current laptop? I would like to have my newer computer boot with same programs and same applications and settings. My current laptop is a Dell Studio 1558 and newer computer will be Asus FX53VD.

Is it possible? Thanks~
gittiest personITW
Level 8
Level 8

Re: How to clone a computer and boot on a different computer

Post by gittiest personITW »

Hi,
There are several options for you.
They are all boot disks which means that you'll have to download the software and burn the iso to a dvd/cd or use 'rufus' or similar software to put onto a USB drive.

Clonezilla - bit of a clunky interface 1980's interface but works well if you realise that it asks for the destination first, then the source drive.
Foxclone - snazzy and neat and has other tools/apps included with it - also has been created by one of the forums brightest lights.
Macrium Reflect - Also good but you'll need a Windows computer to install/burn to dvd but once that is done will clone most systems.

The only limitation might be if you are attempting to clone from a large hard drive to a smaller one - but there are ways around this.

You might be lucky and get it all running smoothly immediately but occassionally it doesn't happen as smooth as could be because of sound/graphics drivers - but see how it goes and post back if you need more info.
pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

A quick glance confirms the old computer is BIOS, where the new one pretty much has to be UEFI. Transferring from one to the other will be tricky.

if your Linux-fu is very good, you can do this yourself with rsync. I wrote a demo describing how I did a BIOS-to-BIOS system transfer, then I have a demo on rsync-for-system-backup which explains how to handle the BIOS-to-UEFI issue (third to last paragraph). I honestly don't think this is difficult, but it's probably not something you've done before, so there's a learning curve. Also, obviously, it requires use of Terminal.

If that's more than you want to tackle, the best answer probably will be Aptik. Never used myself, but gets good reviews on the Forum. Do a search for prior discussions. Consensus seems to be, use the paid version or don't bother.
motoryzen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by motoryzen »

pbear wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:17 pm
A quick glance confirms the old computer is BIOS, where the new one pretty much has to be UEFI. Transferring from one to the other will be tricky.

if your Linux-fu is very good, you can do this yourself with rsync. I wrote a demo describing how I did a BIOS-to-BIOS system transfer, then I have a demo on rsync-for-system-backup which explains how to handle the BIOS-to-UEFI issue (third to last paragraph). I honestly don't think this is difficult, but it's probably not something you've done before, so there's a learning curve. Also, obviously, it requires use of Terminal.

If that's more than you want to tackle, the best answer probably will be Aptik. Never used myself, but gets good reviews on the Forum. Do a search for prior discussions. Consensus seems to be, use the paid version or don't bother.
-- I wonder if all that person need to do on the UEFI PC is just either disabled quick/fast boot and allow/enable legacy mode? My dell inspiron broadwell intel cpu laptop from 2015 has the legacy mode option. (shrugs). --
pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

Sure, legacy mode probably is an option, but that only eliminates one issue, and the issue it eliminates is manageable.
Meanwhile, UEFI replaced BIOS for a reason and there are advantages to embracing the change.
Petermint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Petermint »

You could install LM20 on the new machine then copy the partition contents across. You might have to change a disk ID UUID in /etc/fstab.

If the old machine is going out, you could unplug the old disk and use it as input to the new machine via USB but USB converters are unreliable when used with formatted disks. Copying to a new external USB disk is more reliable plus it becomes a backup.

Clonezilla can be loaded onto a USB stick, booted, then used to copy partitions or disks. It works when you copy like to like. If the new disk is smaller, use Gparted from a live boot of LM20 to shrink partitions before the copy.

Backup before using Gparted or anything else that changes disks.

Backup. Backup. Backup. Three backup disks gives you protection against backup disks failing when you unplug then too early or bump them off the desk onto the concrete floor.

After the copy, you can use Gparted to expand partitions, letting you use all the available space.

Clonezilla has weird menus. You can copy a disk or a partition. Some of the wording about the options are not clear. Sometimes source and destination seems backward. If any step is in doubt, copy the screen and post it here.
AndyMH
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AndyMH »

Cloning with either clonezilla or foxclone will work as long as you can set the BIOS in the new machine to legacy boot. If you can't then the clone won't boot. Can be fixed - you'd need to create an EFI partition and re-install grub. Might be easier to do a fresh install.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

Return to “Newbie Questions”