boot kali and mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
catrunner75
Level 1
Level 1

boot kali and mint

Post by catrunner75 »

I want to create a dual boot mint and kali. ive read thru some stuff and while i know its safer to run kali in a VM or even bootable usb, the spped wont be there as well as the ability to do many of the network pen testing? ive already got windows 10 partitioned, im not too sure i can get another OS in, and im not sure how to evaluate what i have for RAM and disk space. anyone want to talk to me about this?
ajgringo619
Level 8
Level 8

Re: boot kali and mint

Post by ajgringo619 »

OK, I'm confused - you mentioned a dual-boot with Mint and Kali, but then describe partitioning for Windows. Is this really going to be a triple-boot?
Mint 19.3 XFCE [kernel 5.4.0-47-generic]
Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core w/16 GB RAM
AMD Radeon R9 290 w/4GB RAM
zcot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by zcot »

read in the pink box above
pnin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pnin »

@catrunner75: While I have no idea how easy it would be to set persistence for a Kali ISO, if I was you I'd take a look at Ventoy (https://www.ventoy.net/en/doc_start.html). YMMV, though. :|
Last edited by pnin on Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zcot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by zcot »

pnin wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:21 pm
@zcot: While I have no idea how easy it would be to set persistence for a Kali ISO, if I was you I'd take a look at Ventoy (https://www.ventoy.net/en/doc_start.html). YMMV, though. :|
My comment was more about figuring out the specific deeper details of doing that exact setup related to dual(triple) boot kali and mint with possibly Windows10. Creating a bootable iso is easy and to me didn't seem to be an issue of the topic.

But maybe using kali with persistence is a more interesting solution, and then the other stuff doesn't really matter.
MrEen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by MrEen »

I assume pnin meant to speak to the OP, catrunner75, and not zcot.

Otherwise, the post does read like it's simply spamming a product. A free one, yes. But still comes across as spammy.
pnin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pnin »

MrEen wrote: I assume pnin meant to speak to the OP, catrunner75, and not zcot.

You're right, my bad. Fixed.

And advocacy isn't spamming. It took me years to find such an easy to setup multiboot program and I have tested many, believe me.

I offered an on-topic clue and got called a spammer. What did you bring to the table in the present situation? Take it as you wish...
MrEen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by MrEen »

As I said, it did come across as spammy when it was directed to the wrong person.

Just like you now say you were called a spammer, which you weren't by me, words on a page can easily be misinterpreted.

And as a moderator, watching for spam is one of my duties. Hence my comment giving you the opportunity to clear the air. That's what I brought to the table.

All is good here. Carry on. :D
pnin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pnin »

Great then. 8)

As a moderator on a software forum, I can sympathize; it's just that I haven't had the warmest welcome here, since in my few posts I got called out twice already by high rank users -- instead of just being ignored, which would be the more expected outcome.

Return to “Newbie Questions”