Which Linux things do I really have to learn?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
catrunner75
Level 1
Level 1

Which Linux things do I really have to learn?

Post by catrunner75 »

ok, so i want to learn right? im in tears tonight because absolutely nothing i do is working. dive right in? just get to it. but see, about all i do is watch you tube videos and movies. i really dont do anything ! so where do i start? i dont work with files, never have a need. i rarely have to tell the computer to do anything,so how do i learn how it works if i really have no need to learn, but for the sake of learning itself? i started a course on begining python and its bad, real bad. its just gibberish and space talk to me. strings, integers, floats, do this but not that unless your doing this but only if your doing that when doing this..."string" or 'string"stringstring" ) but not if ""string"" string"string".>>>im just ranting now. time for bed.
Last edited by karlchen on Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title: rephrased it so that it hopefully expresses the question more clearly than "noob questions about noob"
deck_luck
Level 6
Level 6

Re: noob questions about noob

Post by deck_luck »

Youtube is full of a lot of junk videos of many people pretending to know a subject. Unfortunately, you have already made that discovery. I guess the most obvious question is what do you want to learn?

Linux Suggestions:

If you are visual oriented learner, Joe Collin's EzeeLinux Youtube channel has some beginners bash lessons. Bash Basics Playlist. Also, the EzeeTalk forum belongs to him.

When you get some free time I would encourage you to check out the The Linux Command Line training web site. It is a reasonable site for learning the command line and understanding bash. Also, the site has a free The Linux Command Line A Book By William Shotts downloadable PDF book.

For a free formal general Linux introduction course, The Linux Foundation in cooperation with edX.org offers a free "Introduction to Linux" online course. See the following link: Introduction to Linux The course is free if you do not wish to gain the certificate of completion. For new Linux users looking to gain a general insight in to Linux, I highly recommend it.
🐧Linux Mint 19 XFCE 💡Give a friend a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a friend how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️ Proverbs 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Which Linux things do I really have to learn?

Post by karlchen »

Hello, catrunner75.

Very obviously for a pure computer user, who may have little knowledge about how computers work in general and Linux Mint in particular, trying to start learning Linux Mint by diving into Python software development is absolute overkill. :lol:

We (some forum users) may be able to advise what might be really useful for you, in case you can give us a (brief) list of tasks, for which you do use your computer. Tasks like the one that you mentioned:
1. watching Youtube videos and movies

Is there anything else, which you use your computer for?
Ah, yes, installing virtual machines. Yields
1. watching Youtube videos and movies
2. installing VmWare Virtual Machines

What else?

Best regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
bendipa
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bendipa »

You should familarise yourself with the basic heirarchal directory structure of the Linux system, with particular emphasis on what is meant by root / and /home. Another important location is /media/username, as when you plug in an external drive that is where it is found. If you're going to stick with Mint, learn how to use the Cinammon desktop. There are some good LM tutorial series particularly from this guy.

You have to work with folders and files, at the very least when it comes to backing up your data . You need to find where your personal data is stored - probably in /home/myusename. So arguably one of the most important things to learn first is how to organise and back-up your data (presumably you will have data to back-up), using the rsync command. A good tutorial is found here.
Last edited by bendipa on Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Computer: Dell Vostro 470
Systems: Linux Mint 19.3, Ubuntu 18.04, Windows 10 (1909), Windows 7 Pro
RollyShed
Level 5
Level 5

Post by RollyShed »

catrunner75 wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:35 am
about all i do is watch you tube videos and movies. i really dont do anything ! so where do i start? i dont work with files, never have a need.
Do you own a car? Do you strip the engine and gearbox down completely to find out how it works or do you simply drive it down the road to buy a hamburger?

If the latter, it sounds like your computer use too. The computer is a tool to use to do things with (watch YouTubes). If you want to get your hands greasy, that's a totally different scenario. There is absolutely no need to go any further than use it to watch Youtubes, especially if, as you say, you never work with files.

I absolutely recommend you don't dive in any further.
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

RollyShed wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:11 am
I think in the initial post catrunner75 has over-simplified things.
There are hints that catrunner75 wants to do more than just watching Youtube videos in Firefox. If this were the only use, then why does catrunner75 try hard to set up VmWare Player e.g.? [1] [2]
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

It all depends on what it is that you want to learn. You say you want to learn for the sake of learning... but what is it that you want to know more about, or that you wish you were able to do?

If your answer is 'I want to know more about Linux and how it works', then you could do worse than starting here: https://linuxjourney.com/
It offers a structured path to more knowledge. Too structured for my personal liking, but it may suit you.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

Takes the cake as the most incoherent question I've ever seen, here or possibly anywhere (even after being moderted for more clarity.)
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual booting LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook).
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

I2k4 wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:14 am
Takes the cake as the most incoherent question I've ever seen, here or possibly anywhere (even after being moderted for more clarity.)
My fault if the question is too general, too unclear or too incoherent. Imagined my rephrased question might be clearer than the original one (to be spotted in the edit comment of post #1). - But, please, feel free to suggest a better, clearer, more coherent title. No hard feelings would be hurt by correcting the thread title. :wink:
JerryF
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JerryF »

catrunner75 wrote:
ok, so i want to learn right? im in tears tonight because . dive right in? just get to it. but see, about all i do is watch you tube videos and movies. i really dont do anything ! so where do i start? i dont work with files, never have a need. i rarely have to tell the computer to do anything,so how do i learn how it works if i really have no need to learn, but for the sake of learning itself? i started a course on begining python and its bad, real bad. its just gibberish and space talk to me. strings, integers, floats, do this but not that unless your doing this but only if your doing that when doing this..."string" or 'string"stringstring" ) but not if ""string"" string"string".>>>im just ranting now. time for bed.
First off, can you specify what you mean when you say "absolutely nothing i do is working"?

Another thing: learning Python won't help you learn Mint. Did you have to learn coding when you learned to use Windows or macOS?

Now, do you have Mint installed?
*** IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts. ***
AndyMH
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AndyMH »

Before you do anything, get a backup system in place, file level and image level and make sure it works. At the file level timeshift for the system (backs up / excluding /home) and backintime (backs up /home only). At the image level, rescuezilla or foxclone. There are other alternatives for all of these.

Once you have them set up you can break your system to your heart's content - it's the best way to learn and we've all done it.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
missmoondog
Level 5
Level 5

Post by missmoondog »

RollyShed wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:11 am
catrunner75 wrote:
about all i do is watch you tube videos and movies. i really dont do anything ! so where do i start? i dont work with files, never have a need.
Do you own a car? Do you strip the engine and gearbox down completely to find out how it works or do you simply drive it down the road to buy a hamburger?

If the latter, it sounds like your computer use too. The computer is a tool to use to do things with (watch YouTubes). If you want to get your hands greasy, that's a totally different scenario. There is absolutely no need to go any further than use it to watch Youtubes, especially if, as you say, you never work with files.

couldn't agree with the latter part of that comment more. if all you do is watch youtube and movies, what is there to learn? trust me, i've been using linux for a while and i know almost nothing about command line and file system structure, but have no problem just using my computer as much as i ever did with windows. i am a lot better at working in windows, but mint is just much smoother.

as far as learning python, what in the world would you even think of doing that for if having issues just using the computer?! that will doo absolutely nothing for you, in that regard.
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

karlchen wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:13 am
I2k4 wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:14 am
My fault if the question is too general, too unclear or too incoherent. Imagined my rephrased question might be clearer than the original one (to be spotted in the edit comment of post #1). - But, please, feel free to suggest a better, clearer, more coherent title. No hard feelings would be hurt by correcting the thread title. :wink:
Not faulting you at all, it was clearly a completely well-intended "intervention" to try to help the poster. And all the thoughtful responses were to your question. As I read back to the original, unmoderated post I formulated my comment - I have nothing more to say on it. Best regards, I2k4
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual booting LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook).
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

What a pity. I really do not consider this thread title one of my linguistic master pieces. Certainly the question could be phrased more elegantly and more clearly.
jonau01
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jonau01 »

Here are some suggestions of leaning that you can start with ( this is valid for any operating system) :

0) Linux directories and mount points ( what is /, /home, /etc .... )
Basic linux commands ( cd : change directory, cp : copy files, rm : delete file, cat : view content of text file, vi or vim or xed : how to edit a text file,
find : find a file on your computer )
Basic file permissions and related commands ( ls -l, chown, chmod .... )
Mount point vs Directory
What is a disk, a partition

1) Backup
- copy your personal data to an external device (disks, usb ... )
- copy your Linux Operating system an external device ( so you don't have to reinstall it from scratch, reinstall all updates and application )
Example : how to configure and use Timeshift

Later on : rsync, tar

2) Recovery
- restore your backup data from an external device (disks, usb ... ) to your computer
- restore your Linux Operating system from backup ( you don't need to understand every thing, just what you need to do to retore your
linux OS )
- Understand some important configuration files : /etc/fstab, /boot/grub/grub.cfg
- how to re-install grub : this is part of recovery your sytem

3) Verify free space on your computers ( how to do some cleanup if needed )
( example : df -Th : space used and free on each mount point, du <directoryname )

4) Learn to install and uninstall application, drivers

5) Create / remove / modify users

6) Keep linux and application up to date ( patch installation )
Create a snapshot before an update

Return to “Newbie Questions”