Linux Mint without GTK and its inbuilt "save as" anti-feature? [solved]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
XP-refugee
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint without GTK and its inbuilt "save as" anti-feature? [solved]

Post by XP-refugee »

Is there a Linux Mint flavour that doesn't have GTK?

The anti-feature of the dual highlighted "save as"/"search for" fields has become unwanted.

Discussion of this "feature" can be seen at viewtopic.php?t=318349
Last edited by XP-refugee on Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Linux Mint without GTK and its inbuilt "save as" anti-feature?

Post by MrEen »

As smurphos points out in that thread, it's the toolkit the application was built with that determines that. i.e. Mint has nothing to do with that. You could try to find qt apps to replace all of your GTK apps, but I don't think you'll be able to cover everything. A KDE distro is your best shot, as most apps written for it use the qt toolkit.

Mind you, I'm not 100% certain that qt apps don't have this issue, but I'm close to it.
XP-refugee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by XP-refugee »

Thanks MrEen.
That seems to leave me looking at the KDE version of Linux Mint 18.3 or moving to another distro. The 18.3 is hopefully the smallest learning cliff. And Mint has been pretty much what I need in terms of ease of use, a helpful forum and available recipe-book incantations for the command line.

It would be nice if GTK eventually includes the option for users to choose the behavior of their "save as" windows.
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

XP-refugee wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:25 am
It would be nice if GTK eventually includes the option for users to choose the behavior of their "save as" windows.
Agreed. And I don't believe it'll ever happen. I've read some bug reports that indicate they are not willing to be flexible on this and other issues.
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

MrEen wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:58 am
... You could try to find qt apps to replace all of your GTK apps, but I don't think you'll be able to cover everything. A KDE distro is your best shot, as most apps written for it use the qt toolkit.....
However I seriously doubt very many KDE users use just KDE apps, some of them are awesome but in most cases there's a GTK app that's much better. Many KDE apps are actually prettty rubbish. I'm saying this as a KDE user, it's my favorite DE.
diapason
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux Mint without GTK and its inbuilt "save as" anti-feature? [solved]

Post by diapason »

Would someone spell this issue out for me as I don't quite understand.

When I use the Save as feature, if I am editing an existing file, the file name appears in the search bar with the part before the file extension highlighted in green. If I just click save, the file saves with its existing name. However, if I start typing a different name, the green highlighted text disappears and is replaced with what I type which I can then save. I can also select a different folder to save it to.

If I am creating a completely new file, similarly, when I click Save as, a default name of Untitled1 highlighted in green appears and I can just overtype it and also change the destination folder.

Am I completely misunderstanding the OP's issue? I would like to know for my own benefit.

I use LM20 Cinnamon 4.6.7 Nemo File Manager and I have no issues with File/Save or File/Save as.
diapason
Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon
Evolution Mail Client 3.38.0
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

diapason wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:00 am
Am I completely misunderstanding the OP's issue? I would like to know for my own benefit.
Yes. Under certain circumstances, when the user starts typing the filename they want, it acts as a search function, so if the first letter was p, the pane showing the files jumps down to the files beginning with p, even though the filename text is still highlighted. I believe this only happens when you change the directory in the left pane first.
diapason
Level 4
Level 4

Post by diapason »

Thanks MrEen.
Now I understand. I have never encountered that before but I have just tested and, indeed, if I change the destination folder first and then start to type, a search function takes over. This does not happen if I type the required filename first and then select the destination folder which is what I have always done.
diapason
Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon
Evolution Mail Client 3.38.0
Schultz
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Schultz »

diapason wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:35 pm
This does not happen if I type the required filename first and then select the destination folder which is what I have always done.
This is a good workaround (if one can remember it), but this bug still needs fixed.

Return to “Newbie Questions”