WinRAR for Linux?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
13mh13
Level 2
Level 2

WinRAR for Linux?

Post by 13mh13 »

WinRAR is something I miss from MS Windows. It was literally avail from right-click drop-down. Is there anything similar for Linux?
BOTTOM LINE: Very few steps to get the compressed file you are after. So no way on Linux terminal command-line tools.
Linux Mint 19.3 xfce 32-bit (on Feb. 2004 DIY build with Pentium 4); Linux Mint (mystery version) on Sept. 2020 i7 DIY build.
DAMIEN1307
Level 10
Level 10

Re: WinRAR for Linux?

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Maybe this will be of help to you...let us know...DAMIEN

https://alternativeto.net/software/winr ... form=linux
ORDO AB CHAO
"I refuse to be assimilated, I refuse to become one with the Borg Collective"
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install rar unrar
.... and your Archive Manager (file-roller, the default) should have acquired the capabilities needed for creating and unpacking .rar archives. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
13mh13
Level 2
Level 2

Post by 13mh13 »

About that Archive utility (Right click, in Linux).
Well, it REALLY, REALLY sucks, because:
(1) It's slow!
(2) No options for compression levels. In WinRAR, you got several including the super-fast "Store" option (this does not compress but only converts files/folders into a same-size single RAR file -- very useful for stuff already compressed to death, like mp3, flac, etc)
(3) No ".RAR" format for output. Only ".WAR" , whatever that is!
Last edited by MrEen on Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Initials for swear words and excess punctuation removed.
Linux Mint 19.3 xfce 32-bit (on Feb. 2004 DIY build with Pentium 4); Linux Mint (mystery version) on Sept. 2020 i7 DIY build.
Kadaitcha Man
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

13mh13 wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:02 pm
There's no point complaining here about it. Take it up with the highly restrictive winRAR copyright holder.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.
13mh13
Level 2
Level 2

Post by 13mh13 »

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:09 pm
13mh13 wrote:
There's no point complaining here about it. Take it up with the highly restrictive winRAR copyright holder.
Huh?
Hey, I ain't complanin' 'bout WinRAR. I'm complanin' 'bout Archive. You know, the pre-installed right-click utility in LM.
Surely, there is a way to config. Archive for various levels of compression.
Last edited by MrEen on Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Single word removed.
Kadaitcha Man
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

13mh13 wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:19 pm
Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:09 pm
13mh13 wrote:
Huh?
1 + 1 = 2 must be too much for you.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.
MartyMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MartyMint »

You can run IZArc with Wine if you're more comfortable using a clicky-clicky, brightly coloured Windows solution...
zcot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by zcot »

If you want an uncompressed archive select .tar.

If you want fast then select tar.gz, gzip is good common standard, or even faster is tar.lz4.

You can do .rar if you want to, you have to install the non-default package for it.

You could customize the file manager options and use the "custom action" feature if you wanted to use a specific compression level, set up a specific right-click option for what you are looking for.

And of course there's this rating running WinRAR using WINE: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... on&iId=391
GS3
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GS3 »

Have a look at this thread I started viewtopic.php?f=90&t=329773
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

Returning to the initial question, asked in the thread title:

WinRAR is a commercial software. Its source code is not available to the public. Hence no Linux distribution can and will include a Linux port of WinRAR.
Only the WinRAR developer himself would be permitted to create such a Linux port.
So the closest, which a registered WinRAR user may get to "WinRAR on Linux", is by using Wine and installing WinRAR through Wine.
No idea how well WinRAR runs on Wine and what the performance penalty will be when running WinRAR under Wine.
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

13mh13 wrote:
About that Archive utility (Right click, in Linux).
(....)
(3) No ".RAR" format for output. Only ".WAR" , whatever that is!
Nonsense. It will have that for output if you simply install rar and unrar, as I mentioned in my previous message.
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

Hm. I do understand, why users like 13mh13 as well, may not be too happy with running RAR or other packers under Archive Manager.
As far as I can tell, there is no obvious way of configuring how the selected packers are invoked by Archive Manager.
Packers like ZIP. RAR and 7Zip, all offer a bunch of options, which have an impact on how they create an archive and which also have an impact on the speed at which they work.
It seems as if Archive Manager does not offer any obvious way of making use of these packer specific options, but that it invokes them with some intransparent default options.
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

13mh13 wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:46 pm
BOTTOM LINE: Very few steps to get the compressed file you are after. So no way on Linux terminal command-line tools.
WinRAR makes a linux CLI "trial" version
https://www.rarlab.com/download.htm.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

karlchen wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:10 am
No idea how well WinRAR runs on Wine and what the performance penalty will be when running WinRAR under Wine.
Here's some interesting comparisons between Ubuntu, Ubuntu+wine, and Win10:
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... 1804-win10
"In the case of 7-Zip compression, Windows 10 again was the slowest while the Windows version on Wine under Ubuntu 18.04 was a little bit faster and then the native Linux performance was running the best."

To make that clearer: they were all close, and speed was linux > linux+wine > windows, which wasn't typical; - check the jpeg, flac, and ffmpeg results, which I would've guess would be similar since they're all forms of compression, but they were quite different, with performance hits for wine.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
13mh13
Level 2
Level 2

Post by 13mh13 »

Well, some of y'all dyed-in-da-wool Linux fanboyz seem pretty upset at my allegations and complaints.
But EVOLUTION is the school of hard knocks. It helps to improve Linux. It really does.

To that end, me gonna 'plain 'gain .... and this time it's about the Linux's native "Archive" (right-click option) .
I do finally see .rar as an option (had to install "rar" and re-boot). But the problems I'm having (since day one) concerns most compressing formats (7z, zip, etc).

PROBLEM 1: Say I'm compressing a 300MB folder (full of jpegs and FLAC and mp3 music files). Compressing to 7z, zip, rar, etc gets stuck (or becomes real slow -- I don't have patience to wait so I cancel out) on the larger files.
tar.gz works, but still takes quite a while (2 min for 300mb)

PROBLEM 2: There is no "Store" option in Archive. I think I 'splained this in a prev. post. Here I'll repeat it again, 'cause none y'all seem to be gettin' it. In WinRAR (what I REALLLLLLLLLY miss from Windows), there are multiple compression options including no compression or "Store" . This is VERY useful option because many modern files are compressed to begin with (FLAC, ALAC). So, Store VERY, VERY quickly -- less than 10 secs -- creates an RAR or ZIP or 7z file. It never goes thru the messy, CPU intensive , take-forevermore compression algo.
So, where is Store in Linux Archive? I don't see it. Is there way to install it?
MartyMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MartyMint »

There are dozens of viable solutions to the question you're asking.
You're triggered by the fact that these solutions don't act and look exactly like they do in Windows?

Do you also want that Windows notification sound when the compression process completes?

Pure pedantry.
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

13mh13 wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:22 pm
Well, some of y'all dyed-in-da-wool Linux fanboyz seem pretty upset at my allegations and complaints.
But EVOLUTION is the school of hard knocks. It helps to improve Linux. It really does.
If you feel like dealing out hard knocks, kick your car.

Tone down, bro. A lot. Ask your questions in a normal civilized way; only then you'll get helpful answers. Is that clear?
Last edited by Pjotr on Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
13mh13
Level 2
Level 2

Post by 13mh13 »

Pjotr wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:24 pm
13mh13 wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:22 pm
Get human or get lost. If you feel like dealing out hard knocks, kick your car.

Tone down, bro. A lot. Ask your questions in a normal civilized way; only then you'll get helpful answers. Is that clear?
Spitfire or sour-grapes comments, like the one above, are counterproductive and a complete waste o' bandwidth.
Please don't get upset or be OFFENDED by my query.
Is that clear?
Sigh ..... for the umpteenth time . Again .... lemme 'peat it fer y'all .... I needz a 'loution to da prob. WHICH is ...not gonna spel out 'gain .... See PROBLEM 1 and PROBLEM 2 in prev. post.
13mh13
Level 2
Level 2

Post by 13mh13 »

MartyMint wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:02 pm
There are dozens of viable solutions to the question you're asking.
You're triggered by the fact that these solutions don't act and look exactly like they do in Windows?

Do you also want that Windows notification sound when the compression process completes?

Pure pedantry.
FOCUS, MartyMint , puh-lease .... on the issue.
Your EMOTIONAL response is DISTORTING your COMMON SENSE.
I'm a Linux noob comin' in from Win ... HINT: look at my post count .... I don't know jack-poop 'bout the highly WIDGETY oper syst that Linux REALLY is. I.e., all the button and knobs.

Return to “Newbie Questions”