linux mint too slow

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
guythp
Level 2
Level 2

Re: linux mint too slow

Post by guythp »

For what it's worth I found Xplayer copes better with higher resolution films than vlc or celluloid - I run Mint MATE on a laptop with similar spec to OP (1.6ghz dual core with 4gb RAM) so if it's mainly videos you'll be using the system for then I'd suggest trying that. It can be found in the Software Manager.
JerryF
Level 14
Level 14

Post by JerryF »

CtrlAltDel wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:34 pm
motoryzen wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:15 pm
linuxmintmex wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:07 pm
I deleted Windows hoping linux would be a better option for a Dell Laptop Latitud D630
3 g ram , 2 partitions OS primary 40g , Data 40 g

Windows 7 runned great , linux mint is unbearable slow ,
I use this machine mainly to watch films , installed vcl which runs in slow motion

should I go back to Wind ?
-- I couldn't agree more with phd21. Select xfce desktop and turn off any windows effects and you should see a reasonable improvement. and 80GB storage drive? I'd venture to guess that isn't a ssd. And no ...not even windows 7 would run fast on spinning rust. xp? maybe..depending on what all is going on, but not win 7. In fact WIndows 8 or 8.1 would be slightly better experience than 7 in terms of overall performance.
You don't have to venture to guess if it is HDD or SSD this user requesting assistance to speed up the computer he is using has, he posted his specifications. And why would you tell him Windows 7 doesn't run fast on a HDD? What does that mean? Windows 7 can run very fast on a HDD and Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon can also run very fast on a HDD.

This overwhelming need by people here who have SSD's to constantly recommend SSD as an answer to every request for assistance needs to stop.

He doesn't have an SSD, he has a Samsung model: HM080HI HDD. Help him with what he has, not what someone thinks he needs to get. The advice you agreed with about Xfce was wonderful, why throw in the extra stuff about rust and a HDD?
+1
*** IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts. ***
JerryF
Level 14
Level 14

Post by JerryF »

I too would recommend trying out Mint Xfce. It's lighter on resources.
*** IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts. ***
JerryF
Level 14
Level 14

Post by JerryF »

Just my two cents but I think some of the members forget that this is an international forum and we don't know the OP's circumstances (access to hardware, financial situation, etc.)

:wink:

Return to “Newbie Questions”