Alternative to Chromium?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Howard_P
Level 4
Level 4

Alternative to Chromium?

Post by Howard_P »

Hi- I just upgraded from 19.3 to 20.0 and discovered that I can no longer install Chromium through Software Manager or Synaptic. The included Firefox is fine, but I like to have a second browser that is not Firefox based. Can anyone suggest an alternative to Chromium? Thanks. -Howard
Kadaitcha Man
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Alternative to Chromium?

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

Howard_P wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:41 pm
Hi- I just upgraded from 19.3 to 20.0 and discovered that I can no longer install Chromium through Software Manager or Synaptic. The included Firefox is fine, but I like to have a second browser that is not Firefox based. Can anyone suggest an alternative to Chromium? Thanks. -Howard
https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_ulyana_cinnamon.php
Coming to a thread near you: Lots of bragging about my AMD 5950X. Currently delayed due to high demand.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.
zcot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by zcot »

Additionally, the latest blog post ( https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3969 ) mentions this news about it:
Chromium

We’re happy to confirm we will be packaging Chromium going forward and providing updates through the official repositories.

We noticed significant delays between official releases and the versions available in almost all Linux distributions. For this reason we set up our own packaging and we’re building directly from upstream.

Some of the patches from Debian and Ubuntu were also imported. If you want to test our build and provide feedback you can download Chromium from the links below:

Mint 20: https://linuxmint.com/tmp/blog/3969/chr ... _amd64.deb
LMDE 4: http://linuxmint.com/tmp/blog/3969/chro ... _amd64.deb

Remove any version of Chromium or ungoogled-chromium you might have prior to installing this one.
CtrlAltDel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by CtrlAltDel »

Howard_P wrote:
Search for Vivaldi. It is a great choice and is based on the same Blink engine that was developed by Chromium developers and which Chromium also currently uses.

You may also wish to try the Brave browser. It stresses security. It is a bit of a hassle to install, requiring a PPA, but it is a decent browser and is also based on Chromium.

I was going to also recommend Opera, which I've used for over 20 years but, they are having a small issue right now wherein the menu and right click option doesn't work if you don't have hardware acceleration enabled. Very uncharacteristic of them but, I couldn't recommend it to others at this point because of that.

None of the browsers listed above are based on Firefox.
Mint 20 Cinnamon / i7-4790 Processor
Nvidia GeForce GT 720 / 8 GB Memory
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

just about all of the recently released Web Browsers:
- are now based upon the Chromium project.

on my PCs there is Vivaldi,, Brave,, PaleMoon,, as well as that Firefox browser.
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Vladimir00
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Vladimir00 »

I installed Chromium with snap
https://snapcraft.io/docs/installing-snap-on-linux-mint
sudo snap install chromium

You can also use Chrome
CtrlAltDel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by CtrlAltDel »

Pierre wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:07 am

on my PCs there is Vivaldi,, Brave,, PaleMoon,, as well as that Firefox browser.
Two of the ones in your list, Pale Moon and Firefox, aren't.
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

I've been using Brave as my Chromium replacement and it is a pretty nice modern spin on a non-google-owned-chrome chromium based browser. You can ignore much of it's added complexity and use it like you used Chromium, for when Firefox is not co-operating with a website etc.
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

CtrlAltDel wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:28 am
Pierre wrote:

that Firefox is definitely, now based on the Chromium project . .
- has been, for most of this year, too.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

Firefox using Chromium code? Bazinga! :lol:
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
AndyMH
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AndyMH »

You don't have to switch from chromium, Clem describes several ways to install here:
https://linuxmint-user-guide.readthedoc ... omium.html
I installed from buster with no problems.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
CtrlAltDel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by CtrlAltDel »

Pierre wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:12 am
CtrlAltDel wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:28 am
Pierre wrote:

that Firefox is definitely, now based on the Chromium project . .
- has been, for most of this year, too.
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. Is "That Firefox" a browser or are you talking about regular, old Mozilla Firefox? I didn't know the regular Firefox was now using Chromium's Blink rendering engine.
Kadaitcha Man
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

CtrlAltDel wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:17 am
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. Is "That Firefox" a browser or are you talking about regular, old Mozilla Firefox? I didn't know the regular Firefox was now using Chromium's Blink rendering engine.
It isn't. Pierre is mistaken. He's a moderator so he's also only a demigod.
Coming to a thread near you: Lots of bragging about my AMD 5950X. Currently delayed due to high demand.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

They still use the Quantum builds of Gecko for both Desktop and Android versions of Firefox.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
ricardogroetaers
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ricardogroetaers »

Howard_P wrote:
Can anyone suggest an alternative to Chromium?
I like Srware Iron.
https://www.srware.net/iron/
https://www.srware.net/iron/#downloads

Iron maintains an official archive of archived versions:
http://download1.srware.net/old/iron/linux/
missmoondog
Level 5
Level 5

Post by missmoondog »

Vladimir00 wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:48 am
I installed Chromium with snap
https://snapcraft.io/docs/installing-snap-on-linux-mint
sudo snap install chromium

You can also use Chrome
CtrlAltDel wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:49 am
Howard_P wrote:
Search for Vivaldi. It is a great choice and is based on the same Blink engine that was developed by Chromium developers and which Chromium also currently uses.

You may also wish to try the Brave browser. It stresses security. It is a bit of a hassle to install, requiring a PPA, but it is a decent browser and is also based on Chromium.

I was going to also recommend Opera, which I've used for over 20 years but, they are having a small issue right now wherein the menu and right click option doesn't work if you don't have hardware acceleration enabled. Very uncharacteristic of them but, I couldn't recommend it to others at this point because of that.

None of the browsers listed above are based on Firefox.

not sure about chromium, as i don't have that installed, but as far as opera, you have to install that after installing snap and opera doesn't appear to be updating as it should in mint 20. i have a topic here asking how to remove snap and opera just because of that reason. can't even do that using synaptic.

as far as an easy to install chromium based browser that you can install, grab the vivaldi deb file from here, https://vivaldi.com/download/ and it will update through the update manager. very good browser.
CtrlAltDel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by CtrlAltDel »

missmoondog wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:19 am

not sure about chromium, as i don't have that installed, but as far as opera, you have to install that after installing snap and opera doesn't appear to be updating as it should in mint 20. i have a topic here asking how to remove snap and opera just because of that reason. can't even do that using synaptic.

as far as an easy to install chromium based browser that you can install, grab the vivaldi deb file from here, https://vivaldi.com/download/ and it will update through the update manager. very good browser.
Opera is not a snap package and it too, just as Vivaldi, installs using a .deb file downloaded directly from their website and is updated automatically once installed as it adds itself to the repository.

Opera, not being open-source, is neither included with Ubuntu as a Snap package or in Mint as a Flatpak. Same goes for Vivaldi.
Last edited by CtrlAltDel on Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
missmoondog
Level 5
Level 5

Post by missmoondog »

CtrlAltDel wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:26 am
missmoondog wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:19 am

Opera is not a snap package and it too, just as Vivaldi, installs using a .deb file downloaded directly from their website and is updated automatically once installed as it adds itself to the repository.
it doesn't, or at least didn't, install on my mint 20 using the deb file! had to install snap and then opera.
CtrlAltDel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by CtrlAltDel »

missmoondog wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:33 am

it doesn't, or at least didn't, install on my mint 20 using the deb file! had to install snap and then opera.
I'm disappointed to learn of that, missmoondog. Normally, one wouldn't have to enable snap on Mint and install snapd and pull Opera from the Ubuntu Snap Store. I'm not entirely sure why the Opera .deb file didn't work properly for you on Mint 20.
JerryF
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JerryF »

I think this thread is becoming unglued. We should try to stay with helping the OP instead of having a discussion. :wink:
*** IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts. ***

Return to “Newbie Questions”