Alternative to Chromium?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
CtrlAltDel
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Alternative to Chromium?

Post by CtrlAltDel »

CtrlAltDel wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:26 am
missmoondog wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:19 am

not sure about chromium, as i don't have that installed, but as far as opera, you have to install that after installing snap and opera doesn't appear to be updating as it should in mint 20. i have a topic here asking how to remove snap and opera just because of that reason. can't even do that using synaptic.

as far as an easy to install chromium based browser that you can install, grab the vivaldi deb file from here, https://vivaldi.com/download/ and it will update through the update manager. very good browser.
Opera is not a snap package and it too, just as Vivaldi, installs using a .deb file downloaded directly from their website and is updated automatically once installed as it adds itself to the repository.

Opera, not being open-source, is neither included with Ubuntu as a Snap package or in Mint as a Flatpak. Same goes for Vivaldi.

[EDIT] I should clarify that Opera and Vivaldi are available as snaps but are not in the OFFICIAL repositories.
Mint 20 Cinnamon / i7-4790 Processor
Nvidia GeForce GT 720 / 8 GB Memory
CtrlAltDel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by CtrlAltDel »

JerryF wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:57 am
I think this thread is becoming unglued. We should try to stay with helping the OP instead of having a discussion. :wink:
Not really. The OP wanted help finding alternatives to Chromium and the thread is still on-topic in the regard that it is discussing how to install those alternatives that were suggested.
JerryF
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JerryF »

I should have specified. It looked like is was starting to become a chat.
I'm disappointed to learn of that, missmoondog. Normally, one wouldn't have to enable snap on Mint and install snapd and pull Opera from the Ubuntu Snap Store. I'm not entirely sure why the Opera .deb file didn't work properly for you on Mint 20.
*** IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts. ***
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

Howard_P wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:41 pm
Hi- I just upgraded from 19.3 to 20.0 and discovered that I can no longer install Chromium through Software Manager or Synaptic. The included Firefox is fine, but I like to have a second browser that is not Firefox based. Can anyone suggest an alternative to Chromium? Thanks. -Howard
There's plenty of Browsers to choose from and I have five...apart from Firefox...Google Chrome...Slimjet...Vivaldi and Opera...so take your pick. :lol: Opera isn't as good as it once was...it now sucks with a few problems that never get fixed...so it's my last choice. Image
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
CtrlAltDel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by CtrlAltDel »

JerryF wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:07 am
I should have specified. It looked like is was starting to become a chat.
Okay, fine, we are chatting about the topic that was originally asked by the original poster. What you and I are now doing, due to your unnecessary moderation of the thread, is the only thing that is off-topic and divergent.
Howard_P
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Howard_P »

Hi to everyone, And thanks for all of the information, a bit confusing though it may be. Reading through this made me realize that what I want is a browser that works well and is free from Google's prying eyes (does Mozilla also pry?). So, I'd appreciate suggestions that meet these criteria. Again, thanks to everyone.
Larry78723
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Larry78723 »

I've had very good results with Opera browser.
Fizz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fizz »

Howard_P wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:41 pm
Hi- I just upgraded from 19.3 to 20.0 and discovered that I can no longer install Chromium through Software Manager or Synaptic. The included Firefox is fine, but I like to have a second browser that is not Firefox based. Can anyone suggest an alternative to Chromium? Thanks. -Howard
You could check out Iridium. It's built off of the Chrome base, but has much improved privacy. Basically they take Chrome and de-Google it.

iridiumbrowser.de

-Fizz
unavailableartist
Level 1
Level 1

Post by unavailableartist »

I tried Vivaldi recently on my tablet as well as my pc and I heard that their sync is really good for apps, bookmarks etc. I really like the layout options and search engine options. You can off of google and use "duckduckgo" if you want.

I tried brave too, it's a little barren for my taste, but if you want that OG google chrome feel this one is good too.
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

Had the same problem after using Chromium for years. Using Firefox as default for "real me" interaction, I silo Google Account services under a nonsense Gmail address, and related tech site logins, in a secondary browser. My basic criteria are full featured and reliable site rendering, and cross platform Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 7 and Android. After some experimenting on Mint 20 I simply converted to Chrome stable, no problem since I use that on Android devices, too. Everything synchronizes seamlessly and Mint updater is timely.

If I were willing to bother with a new browser on several PCs and Androids, I was very favorably impressed with the new Vivaldi. I also tried this Ubuntu Handbook workaround PPA for Chromium by the very reliable Ji M, pointed to in another thread here. It worked right last summer, but it was not updating in the Mint repo - don't know its current status:

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/202 ... ntu-20-04/
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual booting LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook).
Mint Lounger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mint Lounger »

CtrlAltDel wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:26 am
Opera is not a snap package and it too, just as Vivaldi, installs using a .deb file downloaded directly from their website and is updated automatically once installed as it adds itself to the repository.
I use Opera as my backup browser in Mint 20. It just updated via the Synaptic PM.
Refurbished Thinkpad X230 dual boot Windoze 10/Linux Mint
Resistor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Resistor »

I have installed this one, but have not used it, yet, and can not vouch for its integrity.

Ungoogled Chromium : privacy tools - Reddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/privacytoolsIO ... _chromium/
Dell Inspiron 15-7567 Gaming Laptop i5, 8GB Ram, 256GB SSD. - Win 10 Inhibited. Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti. LM 19.3 Cinnamon x2
Asus VivoBook F512FA-AB34, 8 GB Ram, Kernel 5.3.0-45-generic, i3-8145U. No Win10.

Return to “Newbie Questions”