[SOLVED] Timeshift being slow

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fizz
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Timeshift being slow

Post by Fizz »

pbear wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:18 pm Do you happen to recall the full path to the folder? Would be helpful for troubleshooting in future. Thanks.
Thanks.

It was directly under the root directory: /.Trash-0. And note that it is a hidden folder. (That is, don't miss the leading . dot.)

It doesn't exist by default. I think it's created if you have an external device connected, and you delete something from it.

-Fizz
Last edited by Fizz on Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Timeshift being slow

Post by pbear »

Fizz wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:02 pm It was directly under the root directory: /.Trash-01.
Checking my notes, I found an explanation by forum guru smurphos of how this is supposed to work. He says, "In external mounts if you delete files on that mount to trash, gvfs will try and create a .Trash-100x folder on the external mount (the 100x being your UserID) to hold trash files from that mount." In that thread, the user had a problem with ownership of the mount point, but the symptoms were different. The hypothesis that your problem may have been due to removing the drive prematurely sounds plausible, but of course there's no way to be certain.

Anyhoo, thanks for following up. Have added this thread to the same notes from which I quoted smurphos.
mrtabaa
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] Timeshift being slow

Post by mrtabaa »

My Solution:
Connected the hard drive directly to a laptop's USB port instead of a hub fixed my issue.

PopOS Debian

Return to “Beginner Questions”