Recommendations for external disk ?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Barrel69
Level 1
Level 1

Recommendations for external disk ?

Post by Barrel69 »

My external disk is almost full and i'm considering a new one with more capaciry.
Right now I use WD Elements 2 GB
Should I use 6,4 inch or 8,9 inch ? (which need a adaptor)

Some will come with a software programme that will auto back-up, but is it any good for Linux ?
I am using Free File Sync but it's not working properly
Kester
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Recommendations for external disk ?

Post by Kester »

Hi Barrel69,

I'm a little confused by what you are asking. If you are asking about usb external storage devices then usually these would be in the form of one of the following: memory sticks (also known as pen drives or thumb drives), portable external hard drives which are 2.5" hdd drives within a case and which are powered from the computer usb port to which it is connected, 3.5" external hard drives which are 3.5" hdd drives within in a case and powered by an external power supply unit and external SDD drives which are powered from the computer usb port to which they are connected.

It is the dimensions of 6.4 inch and 8.9 inch you mention which confuse me unless you are referring to case size. Also, your mention of 2GB would seem very small capacity for an external disk drive - do you really mean that and is the 'adaptor' you refer to actually the power supply unit?

I think that probably you are talking about external hard disk drives (hdds) and, indeed, some manufacturers supply devices with backup software included. You don't really need such software with Linux Mint, though, and and ayway such included software is almost certainly to be Windows based. GRsync (the gui version of Rsync which is included with Mint) is a great program for copying your data files to other locations including connected external devices and may suit you better than Free file Sync.

When it comes to choosing an external storage device, hdd types are likely the cheapest per gigabyte but these will vary from model to model with higher capacity having the lowest cost per gigabyte. The sdd external drives will be more expensive per gigabyte but generally will be much quicker - they are also much lighter, easier to carry around and having no moving parts are less likely to be damaged by the odd knock. When it comes to capacity, that's up to you but it makes sense to choose the highest you can afford.
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

I'd stick with WD Elements Desktop but get a larger capacity one. The backup utilities won't work with Linux, there are opensource and proprietary alternatives though. Mint has it's own file backup program called Mint Backup. If you want to image an entire drive, look up Foxclone on this forum. It's a utility created by an active forum member (AndyMH). They release as a bootable ISO and for installation as a package too.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

I have several External HDDs 3TB and 4TB...all are plug in and play. :D Just copy and paste or cut and paste to backup files. Image
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
Barrel69
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Barrel69 »

Kester, many thanks for your extensive reply. Sorry for the confusing post I made. I was indeed talking about a external and portable SDD USB drive.
I will choose a external drive without power supply that will work just with USB connection to the PC. Just like I have at this moment.
The one I have is 2 TB and not 2 GB (my mistake sorry about that !)

So I tried GRsync and it is great,, very fast and smooth. I made a try out folder to see how it works. I hope that it will work also with large amounts of date. I really like it. Of course I need to fully get to know this programme so I downloaded a video from youtube that explains all the details.
In freefilesync I used the mirror option to, and hope GRsync has it at well.
I tried it before but found it difficult, but now I have no problems, but with every new programme you'll have to dig into it to get used......

Antikythera, yes I will stick with WD Elements Desktop, Foxclone looks very interesting, so I made a bookmark of it. Many thanks for the tip !
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

You may want to consider recertified drives from WD's own online store (they sell out fast because you can grab some real bargains). However, check the other online retailers first for any special offers. The recertified ones come with a 1 year warranty. They can have a little cosmetic damage but the ones I have received to date still look brand new and have new drives inside, plus new serial numbers unique to them of course.

I use them solely for backups once a month so the wear and tear is minimal, that's why I'm happy to buy them recertified and have a couple for redundancy. If you want them for something more intense a new drive may be the better choice.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
Barrel69
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Barrel69 »

Okay, thanks for the tip. I only use them as back-up, and whenever I have some new files like music I will update the external , but only once or twice a month
Kester
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kester »

Hi Barrel69,

Thanks for your clarification. Glad things are going well for your file backup strategy.

I use Grsync regularly having set up a series copy routines for regular tasks such as backing up folders which contain files that are frequently updated (e.g. personal accounts etc.) - just click on the required routine and hey presto (but ensure the backup location is connected and mounted). The copy and paste or cut and paste methods, as suggested by Bob, are useful too for those occasional jobs such as when you realise you have hundreds of jpeg images on your digital camera that are not safely backed up elsewhere.

antikythera's money saving tips are interesting too - I'd not thought of that but obtaining recertified drives from a well respected manufacturers like WD sounds a good idea. I've salvaged internal drives from old computers that have become redundant - they have been 3.5" hdds which I have put into enclosures which include a psu. I've also salvaged internal DVD drives which I can connect via a powered usb conversion cable (useful if you have CDs and DVDs when so few recent computers have a DVD drive installed).

Cheers.
Barrel69
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Barrel69 »

I'll suppose I will have to buy a HDD because SSD are only up to 2 TB....
Kester
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kester »

Hi barrel69,

No doubt external SDDs of greater than 2TB capacity will become available but probably at very high cost per gigabyte. HDDs will are slower although if you have the latest usb format ports and get a compatible external hdd, you should still get reasonable copy speeds. If you are careful handling the portable device, even though it is mechanical with moving parts, unless you give it a serious whack or drop it, it should last you well. Good luck.
opjose
Level 1
Level 1

Post by opjose »

4TB SSD going for $443.00 on Amazon.

Not bad.
Barrel69
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Barrel69 »

Kester, yes At this moment my external wd elements is just laying on my bureau. It always worked well, so I might as well upgrade it to 4 or 5 TB...

Return to “Newbie Questions”