Chrome

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
andyz
Level 1
Level 1

Chrome

Post by andyz »

I have Sylvia. Chrome in full screen mode freezes, other browsers OK. Any Ideas?
Larry78723
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Chrome

Post by Larry78723 »

Seeing as Sylvia has less than 6 months left before it reaches End of Life and will no longer receive bug fixes and updates, why not do a clean install of LM 19.3 or LM 20?
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

I have Google Chrome running in Cinnamon 19.1 and it works just fine...as larry says might be time to move to 19.3. :D
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
1NEWLINUXUSER
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 1NEWLINUXUSER »

andyz wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:26 pm
I have Sylvia. Chrome in full screen mode freezes, other browsers OK. Any Ideas?
How much ram do you have? I have Chromium (suspect it might use about as much resources as Chrome would) on an old 3gb Mate 19.3 hp laptop and it works fine unless I have too many sites or other apps open. Then it'll slow or stall until I close a few things. And as noted above you might want to think about upgrading to 19.xx or 20.
andyz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by andyz »

4gb RAM, all worked OK 2 weeks ago. Something wrong with the latest Chrome update? Chromium and Firefox run without a hitch.
1NEWLINUXUSER
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 1NEWLINUXUSER »

andyz wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:44 pm
4gb RAM, all worked OK 2 weeks ago. Something wrong with the latest Chrome update? Chromium and Firefox run without a hitch.
I'd think that 4gb would be enough. What are you running, Cinnamon, Mate, Xfce? Are you taking Timeshift/Snapshots? If so maybe you should consider going back a few weeks when things worked (I'd tell you how but I've never had the pleasure myself!) Or, may consider remove/reinstall Chrome?

Just FYI, l also have Chrome running on an hp laptop in Vbox/Cinnamon, Mate & Xfce, all Linux Mint 20, all upgraded and all seem to work fine. Maybe Chrome has a problem Sylvia, it is rather dated, maybe time to consider an upgrade!

Sorry I can't offer more.
andyz
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Chrome (SOLVED)

Post by andyz »

It was something with the latest update, Chromium too. But PROBLEM SOLVED - in advanced settings I switched off "hardware acceleration" and full screen mode is OK again. :)
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

Out of interest, did you at any point enable Vulkan in chrome://flags?

That can cause freezing with some hardware when acceleration is enabled.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
1NEWLINUXUSER
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 1NEWLINUXUSER »

Great, congratulations! 👍
andyz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by andyz »

antikythera wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:39 pm
Out of interest, did you at any point enable Vulkan in chrome://flags?

That can cause freezing with some hardware when acceleration is enabled.
Vulkan? Never heard of it, sorry
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

Vulkan is a more efficient interface (direct) between software that supports it and the GPU than OpenGL (indirect, it still relies on a little CPU overhead). It's an option in Chrome which is why I asked as it can lead to some freezing or core dumps on certain hardware. For instance, both my Intel and AMD GPU work fine with Vulkan enabled in Chrome. If I try the same with an NVIDIA GTX960 running the current 450.xx driver for LMDE4 Chrome core dumps randomly with Vulkan enabled. NVIDIA's Vulkan implementation is a bit left field though.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor

Return to “Newbie Questions”