Installing Linux Mint 20

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
sevenmpd
Level 2
Level 2

Installing Linux Mint 20

Post by sevenmpd »

Good Afternoon
I have been running mint 19.3 on this machine (Sony Vaio SVE1512M1EW) for some time and decided to upgrade to mint 20 as I had not been offered the option via software updates I followed instructions given on this website https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2020/07/upg ... ux-mint-20 .
After installing mint 20 I find weird this happening when using the laptop or starting up and I have lost control of screen brightness when I adjust the slider it's either black or full brightness nothing in-between so I think i would like to start from fresh and install a fresh copy of mint 20 but I'm unsure how to go about it and would appreciate advice.

Cheers
H
missmoondog
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Installing Linux Mint 20

Post by missmoondog »

it's always recommended to do a clean install when upgrading to a new major release. those in place upgrades are just about guaranteed to break things.

simply go here, https://linuxmint.com/download.php and download the version you want. burn it to dvd or create a bootable usb drive and follow instructions. totally simple to follow instructions it gives while installing.

seeing as how you already have linux installed, there is a usb creator tool in the menu to create that bootable drive.

sorry this isn't the most detailed way of telling you how too install mint, but it really is very simple, especially seeing as you'll be wiping the entire drive and installing a new copy. just select erase drive at beginning of installation and do what it says to install.

remember to back up anything on your current install first!
dorsetUK
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dorsetUK »

sevenmpd wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:06 am
Good Afternoon
I have been running mint 19.3 on this machine (Sony Vaio SVE1512M1EW) for some time and decided to upgrade to mint 20 as I had not been offered the option via software updates I followed instructions given on this website https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2020/07/upg ... ux-mint-20 .
After installing mint 20 I find weird this happening when using the laptop or starting up and I have lost control of screen brightness when I adjust the slider it's either black or full brightness nothing in-between so I think i would like to start from fresh and install a fresh copy of mint 20 but I'm unsure how to go about it and would appreciate advice.

Cheers
H
Hi H

Sorry to hear about your problem, but if you compare the guide you followed to the official one then you may note a few differences.
https://linuxmint-user-guide.readthedoc ... nt-20.html

Following missmoondog, I think it's fair enough to say that, having read the Release Notes https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_ulyana_cinnamon.php many of us have done a clean install, following the official guide.https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... en/latest/

HTH
1NEWLINUXUSER
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 1NEWLINUXUSER »

Hi. I never saw the link you posted below but it looks pretty thorough. Anyway, when I was considering going from 19 to 20 a good number things I ran across at the time suggested that upgrading from 19 to 20 could be very tricky, could require some higher level of expertise and terminal work to resolve potential upgrade issues. Most things suggested doing a clean install which is what I did and haven't regretted it.

Sorry I can't offer any helpful advise on the upgrade problem but you do have the option of a clean install. Good luck!
sevenmpd
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sevenmpd »

Hi I,m still trying to reload mint 20 and I,m now thinking of making a bootable dvd but even struggling with this Ive read several web pages but for one reason or another get stuck right clicked on the iso and do not get the option to 'burn to disc', opened xburn again cannot see option to burn bootable dvd and suggestion was to use 'etcha' download etcha appimage but can't install the app even thought Ive set the permission to make file executable so just seem to be going round in circles so again would appreciate any advice
H
1NEWLINUXUSER
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 1NEWLINUXUSER »

sevenmpd wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:45 pm
Hi I,m still trying to reload mint 20 and I,m now thinking of making a bootable dvd but even struggling with this Ive read several web pages but for one reason or another get stuck right clicked on the iso and do not get the option to 'burn to disc', opened xburn again cannot see option to burn bootable dvd and suggestion was to use 'etcha' download etcha appimage but can't install the app even thought Ive set the permission to make file executable so just seem to be going round in circles so again would appreciate any advice
H
Good idea to try a live boot drive. Have you considered burning to a external usb drive instead? I tried both and found burning too and booting from a dvd far slower, clunky & noisy. Burning to and booting from a usb drive seems to be a far better all round solution and I could be wrong but it seems most people use eternal usb drives, anything about 4gb or larger should be fine. If you decide to try a usb drive I'd suggest you google Balena Etcher, and try it. Very simple to use and I've never had a problem with any iso burned with it.
sevenmpd
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sevenmpd »

Hi and thanks for your reply I have tried to boot from a live usb without success thats why I wanted to try aa live dvd, as for etcha I did down load it but my laptop will not open the app :-(
H
1NEWLINUXUSER
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 1NEWLINUXUSER »

sevenmpd wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:11 pm
Hi and thanks for your reply I have tried to boot from a live usb without success thats why I wanted to try aa live dvd, as for etcha I did down load it but my laptop will not open the app :-(
H
Sorry, forgot your system was running linux mint 19.3 or so and I don't think Etcher will work but not sure, never tried. Have you tried the linux mint USB Image Writer as suggested by missmoondog? It comes with linux mint on most distros I think, I've used it a number of times with no problems. Another image writer you might want to google and try is MKUSB, works great in linux mint.
sevenmpd
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Installing Linux Mint 20 solved

Post by sevenmpd »

Thanks for all replies I have finally sorted the problem maybe long winded when live USB or DVD would not work I tried the following I removed the hard drive and plugged it into my windows laptop then loaded mint 20 via USB on the windows machine then when installing choose the drive drive in the caddy overwriting the previous version of mint :D
H

Return to “Newbie Questions”