Standard-PW?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Gehirnschatten

Standard-PW?

Post by Gehirnschatten »

Hi,

I am really new to Linux so this might probably be a stupid question...
I downloaded a Mint 20 ISO and put it bootable on a stick. I need a secure system to store some data (Text mainly).
I wanted to set a password to login and therefore typed "password" which brought me to the "account details". I tried to change the password, but seemingly there is a password already, which I didn't set (as explained I just put the ISO on a stick). Still I can just use the stick on any PC and I am not asked for any password anyway.
I tried the consoel "passwd" and was asked to put in a new passwort, which was accepted, but that didnt change anything either. So the question is, how do I get this to be penetratetable?

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Standard-PW?

Post by Larry78723 »

You can't make changes to the install USB, it is designed to install Mint. There are directions for how to make a USB that can store data and can be password protected here: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=287353. Hope that helps.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Gehirnschatten

Post by Gehirnschatten »

Thank you! I'll check and get back to you 👍
Gehirnschatten

Post by Gehirnschatten »

Okay I tried, installation did not word due to "Source ID xxxx not found when attempting to remove it"
After that I googled if there is a possibility to set a password on a persistent Linux system, due to this guy (https://askubuntu.com/questions/869874/ ... t-possible) it is quite possible an easy. I created the user an changed to that account, but did not have admin-rights and the user "live-user" could not be found. When I restart, everything goes back to start. Is there any way to make the instruction work?
THANX!
Gehirnschatten

Post by Gehirnschatten »

Alright, got it working, I read this post: viewtopic.php?t=265615, updated the BIOS and for some reason the installation went through...

Return to “Beginner Questions”