SCUMMVM installation problem

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
dona13
Level 1
Level 1

SCUMMVM installation problem

Post by dona13 »

Hello, I have installed SCUMMVM 2.1.1 under Mint 20 but there is a new version of SCUMMVM. I have tried to install the new version but I can not do it. I have downloaded .deb package but it gives me eror message to the end of install process. i have also tried other ways to install but I always get messages, like unsatsfied lib ; I look for the lib, eventually find and install it, but then it wants another lib and so on - I got tired. The only thing I did not try is to use snap or flatpack, but these seem to be unrecommended by knowers and flatpack uses too much space.
Is there a way to properly install this ? Shoud I just try snap ? Thank you
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: SCUMMVM installation problem

Post by MrEen »

Hi dona13,

From the looks of it here, Ubuntu 20.04 (which Mint 20 is based on) is the only version there isn't a .deb for.

I imagine the devs themselves haven't been able to find a way to make it work yet.

The snap/flatpak stuff is totally up to you. Be aware that if you go with with flatpak, it's only going to be huge because it's the first flatpak you install. Adding more flatpaks later will get smaller and smaller as there will already be plenty of shared libraries installed.
guythp
Level 2
Level 2

Re: SCUMMVM installation problem

Post by guythp »

This probably isn't going to help but I installed scummvm when I had mint 19, then upgraded to mint 20 and it still works. I've noticed it's in the software manager (which was how I installed in on 19 now I think about it) - is this one of the methods you've tried? I've tried it and it still works under mint 20 (I use MATE btw)
I'll admit I purged the flatpak program I had installed a while back (it was gradio which was 2mb in size but needed a 2gb download and install; I now understand why but that was enough to stop me using flatpaks, although as has been said once you make the initial install subsequent flatpaks won't be as big)

Would it be worth installing dosbox to run them that way, or maybe via Wine and windows scummvm?

Return to “Newbie Questions”