Remote Permissions to Link as Root

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
bsmither
Level 2
Level 2

Remote Permissions to Link as Root

Post by bsmither »

I am wanting to be able to create/edit files in Nginx's '/etc/nginx/sites-available' and '/etc/nginx/sites-enabled' folders, from Windows 7 on a machine located on the LAN.

I have already established the means to access //Computer_Name/inetpub/* from Win7 (forgot the details how I did that).

I have also created links to the above folders and placed them in /inetpub/. I can see them in Win7's "Windows Explorer".

Win7 does not give me the ability to enter my sudo password, which I suppose would be necessary.

The nginx folders are root/root, and the inetpub folder is www-data/www-data.

What are the next steps to take to give me access to these folders from Win7?
Tricia - Cinnamon
bsmither
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Remote Permissions to Link as Root

Post by bsmither »

I have now installed onto Mint the OpenSSH-Server package. Among a few other pieces, the SFTP Server was installed alongside.

Using a programmer's text editor for Windows, one that has SFTP capabilities, I can now retrieve existing files from the mentioned folders.

However, I cannot then save the edited file using a new filename.

My guess is that the SFTP Server needs to recognize the login (using sudo credentials) as having r/w permissions.
Tricia - Cinnamon

Return to “Newbie Questions”