[SOLVED] Wireless adapters for desktop on LM 19.3 and beyond: What are guaranteed brands and what to look for?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Webtest
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Wireless adapters for desktop on LM 19.3 and beyond: What are guaranteed brands and what to look for? PC specs in te

Post by Webtest »

Blessings Pjotr!
Boy, you must not have much experience with Amazon!
Pjotr wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:40 am
When you've received it ...
! It's not a question of 'when', it is IF I receive it ... did I really snag the LAST ONE IN STOCK in China???

I'm pretty confident because StarTech (they build quality stuff I have used in the past) uses the same chip in one of their parts which is also specified to run in Ubuntu Linux ... USB 2.0 300 Mbps Mini Wireless-N Network Adapter - 802.11n 2T2R WiFi Adapter, and the drivers are online. They also have a 150 Mbps model for Linux. We'll just have to wait and see what kind of Porcupine I may have jumped on!

Blessings, Art
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Wireless adapters for desktop on LM 19.3 and beyond: What are guaranteed brands and what to look for? PC specs in te

Post by Pjotr »

Been ordering all kinds of stuff from Amazon for a year or so.... So far, they've never let me down in the end. They did try my patience, though. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
FamCompKid
Level 3
Level 3

Post by FamCompKid »

Hello again!

So I came up with a shortlist :mrgreen: I'd appreciate some feedback, TIA!

Main qualifications are that they're dual band and have an external antenna. I excluded those without brand names but if I should consider them too please tell me.

In my book USD 15 and below is cheap, $30 is "Yeah maybe I can do that," and I won't go past $50. Considering it may not work.

The first two below are the ones locally available. Generally prefer local for in case something goes wrong.
  • EDUP, Realtek EDIT: RTL8821CU-CG
Below are not available locally:
Last edited by FamCompKid on Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Two PC's on Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon. Thank you.
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

The Realtek RTL8811AU chipset might be problematic.
Webtest
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Webtest »

Esteemed Forum Participants & Lurkers:
Here is a detailed and very informative article about WiFi adapters that is very pertinent to this discussion. It will "pug your nose and curl your toes". It is incredible that this problem has been around for at least 5 years!

Stack Exchange: Unix & Linux: Wi-Fi problems using ASUS USB-N13 adapter (realtek)

Blessings in abundance, all the best,
Art in Carlisle PA USA
Larry78723
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Larry78723 »

Art, that discussion is almost 5 years old which is like a quarter century in human terms. I have Realtek cards in multiple computers and have never had a problem with them.
FamCompKid
Level 3
Level 3

Post by FamCompKid »

Hi and thanks once again!

The vendor sent me the specs for TP-Link Archer T2U Plus. It has additional chips, Richwave RTC5633C, looks like it's for the 5GHz band?

It seems I would need to do some compiling with 8811, but I wouldn't mind if I can do it just once and automate it upon kernel (or other) updates--can this be done? I think I saw someone mention that once but no one's followed through. Also, I don't have any experience in compiling.

I would choose TP-Link over EDUP because of the brand (and they're available locally).
Pjotr wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:39 am
I take "problematic" means taking a while to get it to work but ultimately it will work, right? :D I will order maybe within 48 hours.

Edit: Added TP-Link. It's on Realtek 8811 only, vendor sent me the specs.
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

FamCompKid wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:30 am
Pjotr wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:39 am
I take "problematic" means taking a while to get it to work but ultimately it will work, right? :D
No. I'm not sure about that particular chipset.... Personally, I wouldn't buy it.
GS3
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GS3 »

Unless you have good reasons to get an adapter which requires installing drivers I would just get something which is plug 'n play.

You can have a look at one experience I had. viewtopic.php?f=90&t=322917

Not worth the trouble. In theory installing drivers should be straightforward and things should work but in practice you can run into many hurdles.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
FamCompKid
Level 3
Level 3

Post by FamCompKid »

Hi again and sorry if my reply's late.
Pjotr wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:24 am
No. I'm not sure about that particular chipset.... Personally, I wouldn't buy it.
Bummer. I remember seeing a couple of reviews on Amazon that indeed it didn't work on Linux.

Looks like I should go with EDUP EP-AC1661, then (RTL8821CU-CG). Driver download page here for those interested.
GS3 wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:35 am
Unless you have good reasons to get an adapter which requires installing drivers I would just get something which is plug 'n play.

You can have a look at one experience I had. viewtopic.php?f=90&t=322917

Not worth the trouble. In theory installing drivers should be straightforward and things should work but in practice you can run into many hurdles.
How's that adapter of yours so far?

I'm now assuming all wifi adapters are troublesome to set up on Linux (to me), but I can accept that as long as I don't have to do it upon each kernel update unless I don't really have a choice and I'd still be willing to put up with it.

Thanks so much again for your replies.
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

the issue over here, is the same:
- you can get those WiFi adapters, in some big box store,
but, typically, it's from some eBay store.

the last WiFi adapter, was an TP-Link TL-WN721N
& the seller, kindly supplied an CD with some Windows Drivers, for it.
8)
when looking around, I'm mainly looking to see if the seller has specify Linux compatible,
& that does have an bearing, on what I've bought . .
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
FamCompKid
Level 3
Level 3

Post by FamCompKid »

Pierre wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:37 am
but, typically, it's from some eBay store.
That's what I've been feeling about this so far: it may not matter where the adapters came from, or whether or not they're from a known brand. It also helps that vendors mention their product works on Linux, although I wish they also explicitly mentioned they wouldn't if that's the case. Thanks.
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

FamCompKid wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:57 am
Looks like I should go with EDUP EP-AC1661, then (RTL8821CU-CG). Driver download page here for those interested.
Certainly looks promising. Cool that the vendor mentions the chipset and even provides the build kit for the Linux driver.

When you have it, I'd try this approach:
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php ... st13879826

So:

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
sudo apt install build-essential git dkms
git clone https://github.com/brektrou/rtl8821CU.git
cd rtl8821CU
chmod +x dkms-install.sh
sudo ./dkms-install.sh
sudo modprobe 8821cu
FamCompKid
Level 3
Level 3

Post by FamCompKid »

Pjotr wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:10 am
FamCompKid wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:57 am
Certainly looks promising.
Thank you :) I'll post an update.
FamCompKid
Level 3
Level 3

Post by FamCompKid »

I'll also be getting a USB extension "base" for the wifi adapter but I'm not sure whether a USB 3.0 base would be fine. Wifi adapter is on 2.0 and has Bluetooth but I have 3.0 ports.

Seems like 3.0 ports interfere with BT although I don't see myself using it soon, I'm fine with wired peripherals.

Return to “Newbie Questions”