Request that a message be stickied...

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Candle

Request that a message be stickied...

Post by Candle »

Hi all it would be super great/convenient if somewhere (the fewer the clicks the better) there was a list of basic linux commands. Either on the forums or on the website. installing software, removing software, updating software, help, creating directories, removing directories, shutdown, etc.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Request that a message be stickied...

Post by all41 »

Hi. Welcome to the Mint forums.
See the documentation links in your Welcome Screen for basics. They lead you here:

https://www.linuxmint.com/documentation.php
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

You can also look in the tutorials section, most of those topics are in there.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Candle

Post by Candle »

all41 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:00 pm See the documentation links in your Welcome Screen for basics. They lead you here:

https://www.linuxmint.com/documentation.php
I don't see what I'm looking for. Where am I even supposed to look? It's so much easier, and makes a lot more sense, just to have this as one of the "Important Notices" on this forums main page. Or on the linuxmint.com webpage see the "Home" tab, "Download" tab, and then next to that should be a "Linux Commands" tab. I've tried like four distros and this one I have the highest hopes for so if I run into ANY issues or if I think something should be more efficient then I feel like I should speak up and mention it. This would definitely make things more user friendly and more linux beginner friendly as well.
Candle

Post by Candle »

Larry78723 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:03 pm You can also look in the tutorials section, most of those topics are in there.
Where is this?
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

The "Welcome" app pops up when you run Mint. You don't even need to be connected to the internet.

-it covers what you mention, except for "basic linux commands". The reason why basic linux commands aren't pushed onto users is because almost all of us are using the full desktop version and we just use the file manager to work with directories, we use all the other GUI tools mentioned in the Welcome app to do other stuff. And any more advanced "commands" don't have a context enough to throw at new users. ;)

It's not a bad suggestion. Maybe you can hone-in on a good basic set of instructions you think would be important.

For reboot or shut down we just click the buttons and do it. If you want to do it from terminal there's reboot, shutdown, and shutdown now.

If you want to learn "commands", actually most users don't, we want to simply click an obvious thing that does a specific solution, -but there are certainly 1000's of documentations of that more complex stuff available.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

Candle wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:14 pm It's so much easier, and makes a lot more sense, just to have this as one of the "Important Notices" on this forums main page.
Well, no. Use bookmarks.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Bookmark these:

Linux Command Line Cheat Sheet - https://cheatography.com/davechild/chea ... mand-line/

Apt Cheat Sheet (most still work, some may be deprecated) - https://blog.packagecloud.io/eng/2015/0 ... eat-sheet/

If you are using Cinnamon then for the desktop environment if you are coming from Windows, most of the same shortcut keys work the same way. Open Keyboard from the Menu and click on shortcuts for more details.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Candle wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:17 pm
Larry78723 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:03 pm You can also look in the tutorials section, most of those topics are in there.
Where is this?
In the Main Edition Support area of the forum, where you also found Newbie Questions.
viewforum.php?f=42

Anyway, a message can't be made sticky if there is no message to make sticky. :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Candle

Post by Candle »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:05 am
Candle wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:14 pm It's so much easier, and makes a lot more sense, just to have this as one of the "Important Notices" on this forums main page.
Well, no. Use bookmarks.
I don't know why I would agree to not make things easier for the next guy/gal...
Candle

Post by Candle »

Moem wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:59 am
Candle wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:17 pm
Where is this?
In the Main Edition Support area of the forum, where you also found Newbie Questions.
viewforum.php?f=42

Anyway, a message can't be made sticky if there is no message to make sticky. :wink:
Yeah sorry, but from there I'm still not even seeing where I'm supposed to look. EDIT: These answers are just further strengthening my point though.
Last edited by Candle on Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Candle wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:20 pm Yeah sorry, but from there I'm still not even seeing where I'm supposed to look.
Scroll down on that page, and look in the section called Topics. There are tutorials there. Maybe not the exact ones you'd want to see, but there are tutorials.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Candle

Post by Candle »

Moem wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:23 pm
Candle wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:20 pm Yeah sorry, but from there I'm still not even seeing where I'm supposed to look.
Scroll down on that page, and look in the section called Topics. There are tutorials there. Maybe not the exact ones you'd want to see, but there are tutorials.
I know. I do see the tutorials, but should commands really not be more easily accessible? I know it's a pretty extreme request since I just got here last night, but in Important Notices a command list commands list would be great I think. If there was some kind of side bar then I'd say put it over there but everything is basically in that one list going down the screen. Maybe you could have "'Quick links' '? FAQ' 'Linux Commands'" at the top of the screen?
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

This is basically a feature request for the forum then rather than a support request.

Anyhow found something else you might like - https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/search
https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/244
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

So instead of requesting that someone else do it, how about writing the content that you would want to see? This forum is a community effort after all. You may very well not be the only one looking for it.

zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

Candle wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:31 pm should commands really not be more easily accessible? I know it's a pretty extreme request since I just got here last night, but in Important Notices a command list commands list would be great I think.
Like what commands?

What solutions are you looking for the commands for? please make a list here. ;)
Candle

Post by Candle »

antikythera wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:37 pm This is basically a feature request for the forum then rather than a support request.

Anyhow found something else you might like - https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/search
https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/244
Oh is there a better spot to be asking for this?
Candle

Post by Candle »

Moem wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:46 pm So instead of requesting that someone else do it, how about writing the content that you would want to see? This forum is a community effort after all. You may very well not be the only one looking for it.
Oh yeah sure I don't mind doing it myself. Just wanted to make sure y'all were on board with making a change to the website first.
Candle

Post by Candle »

zcot wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:52 pm
Candle wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:31 pm should commands really not be more easily accessible? I know it's a pretty extreme request since I just got here last night, but in Important Notices a command list commands list would be great I think.
Like what commands?

What solutions are you looking for the commands for? please make a list here. ;)
installing software, removing software, updating software, help, creating directories, removing directories, shutdown, etc
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Personally I think the description of the Tutorial section contains exactly the right information already. It's how I found the cheat sheet (244 link) I linked to above:

Return to “Beginner Questions”