Are there any known holes in Mint or Ubuntu that a skilled hacker can exploit?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
LindaV
Level 1
Level 1

Are there any known holes in Mint or Ubuntu that a skilled hacker can exploit?

Post by LindaV »

In these eight notebooks running Mint, I am running: LibreOffice, Abiword, Audacity, Gimp, QuodLibet, FocusWriter, Rhythmbox, Brasero, Cheese..
I uninstalled: Rsync, Adobe, Timeshift, Thunderbird..

A hacker bully is pestering me.. Can I do a setting that 100% blocks those nine programs from ever accessing the Internet, so hackers can't use those programs to infiltrate the OS..? A nasty black-hacker bully who seems desperate to stop and crush: truth, science, awareness, honesty, love, intellect, is getting into this internet-only notebook's Mint OS too often, causing little glitches and problems, so often that I must reinstall Mint in it every week.. This notebook never has any personal files in it, only a few background pix.. This notebook is exclusively for emails, Google, and YouTube..
It only takes an hour and a half to completely reinstall and customize Mint.. I don't know how that demon gets into Mint.. Last week that monster somehow got my Firefox passwords.. Gmail and Protonmail logs show that the monster logged into my two email accounts every hour for two days, so I reinstalled the OS, and changed all the passwords to long gibberish words with caps, lower case, and punctuation...

Is there, or can there be, a security program in Mint that detects and notifies the user in real time about every active internet connection happening, and what it's targeting in the OS..?

Are there any known hacker exploit-holes in Mint and Firefox..?
Larry78723
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Are there any known holes in Mint or Ubuntu that a skilled hacker can exploit?

Post by Larry78723 »

What are your firewall settings?
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Re: Are there any known holes in Mint or Ubuntu that a skilled hacker can exploit?

Post by AZgl1500 »

Larry78723 wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:38 am
What are your firewall settings?
along with this suggestion, use Steve Gibson's Shields Up to test to see if your PC/notebook is open to outside intrustions

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

I just ran this for myself with this result

steve.png
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
missmoondog
Level 5
Level 5

Post by missmoondog »

"Are there any known hacker exploit-holes in Mint and Firefox..?"

If there was, they would be patched rather rapidly!
LindaV
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LindaV »

I just clicked firewall Status On, and left it at that.. What should I be doing?
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
The standard expression for a malicious hacker is 'black-hat hacker'. I'm going to assume that's what was meant here. Let's give each other the benefit of the doubt.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Welcome
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Welcome »

Once upon a time, I used my firewall to deny all incoming and outgoing traffic, except for specific system and applications requirements. It's difficult to use because it usually breaks a lot of stuff. It took a lot of work to set up and maintain.

I gave up on blocking the outgoing traffic. Instead, I monitor it. Sometimes I use Wireshark, and sometime I use tcpdump. But, this method isn't for someone who doesn't know what tcp or udp means. Unless you are willing to learn, of course.

If you have the knowledge, or are willing to learn, here's a sample tcpdump command that I use. It only reports external traffic, so that helps to reduce the local network clutter.

This version is for 192.168.xxx.xxx local area networks:

Code: Select all

sudo tcpdump -v 'ip and not broadcast and not multicast and not net 224.0.0.0 mask 255.255.255.0 and not net 239.255.255.0 mask 255.255.255.0 and ((src net 192.168.0.0 mask 255.255.0.0 and not dst net 192.168.0.0 mask 255.255.0.0) or (not src net 192.168.0.0 mask 255.255.0.0 and dst net 192.168.0.0 mask 255.255.0.0))'
If you have a 10.xxx.xxx.xxx local area network and want that tcpdump version, please let me know. I need to find it...
Larry78723
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Larry78723 »

I'd follow the advice at https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... .html#ID12 and disable UPnP in your router. There's a good chance that's how they're getting in.
Welcome
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Welcome »

If you have a 10.xxx.xxx.xxx LAN, this link has the tcpdump version you could use:
viewtopic.php?p=1901420#p1901420

sudo tcpdump -v 'ip and not broadcast and not multicast and not net 224.0.0.0 mask 255.255.255.0 and not net 239.255.255.0 mask 255.255.255.0 and ((src net 10.0.0.0 mask 255.0.0.0 and not dst net 10.0.0.0 mask 255.0.0.0) or (not src net 10.0.0.0 mask 255.0.0.0 and dst net 10.0.0.0 mask 255.0.0.0))'
To stop tcpdump, select the terminal and press Ctrl-c.

Before starting tcpdump, it'd be best to exit your browser and any other programs that may be accessing the internet. This will tell us if you have something in the background accessing the internet.
chowchow
Level 3
Level 3

Post by chowchow »

Moem wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:25 pm
Mod note:
The standard expression for a malicious hacker is 'black-hat hacker'. I'm going to assume that's what was meant here. Let's give each other the benefit of the doubt.
Ask her if thats what she meant? Dont assume anything i know what she meant its obvious. :wink:
DAMIEN1307
Level 10
Level 10

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

A nasty black-hacker bully who seems desperate to stop and crush: truth, science, awareness, honesty, love, intellect, is getting into this internet-only notebook's Mint OS too often, causing little glitches and problems, so often that I must reinstall Mint in it every week.. This notebook never has any personal files in it, only a few background pix.. This notebook is exclusively for emails, Google, and YouTube..
Im thinking that this is someone who actually knows you, Why else to just specifically pick you to harass so as to see your e-mails, look for your search records on Google or what you are viewing on youtube.
bully who seems desperate to stop and crush: truth, science, awareness, honesty, love, intellect
And i wont even pretend to know or understand what is meant by that statement, I only know that most "bully's" are usually already known by the "bullied".

Start looking for someone within your own household, or "EXs" you may have been in relationships with that tend not to want to let go etc.

You dont need to be a "skilled hacker" to do these things if they are, or have been, close enough to someone to know how they think as well as what they do, and how they do it...That only takes someone who knows you well.

DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO
"I refuse to be assimilated, I refuse to become one with the Borg Collective"
LindaV
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LindaV »

Moem..

I'll try some of your genius suggestions.. Thanks...
I think you're correct about the black hat hacker demon getting in through the router.. I had a feeling it might be the router, so a week ago I talked to the internet provider repair fellow about the hack-attacks.. I gave him the attacker's IP, which was their company's early issue.. He played it like he couldn't determine the owner of that IP, when his voice's tones and volumes said he was lying through his teeth.. He told me of a newer model of router that their company's has out now.. I'll try switch to that one..
When an experienced black-hatter hacker breaks into an OS via the router, does it leave or show any telltale stains in the OS..? I'm supposing WireShark would keep a record of that..? Is that so?.. But doesn't WireShark slow-down an OS..?

If I connected a series of routers, would that do anything of any value?.. Can we run three routers connected..? Is there, or can there be, a router attachment alarm... that tells if a router is being compromised..?
There have been a few times I suspected something might be into the router, so I shut off the computer instantly, and unplugged the router...
If I unplug the router for about half an hour, when I restart it the IP has been changed... Do demon hackers target the IP somehow..? I suppose it's how they have fun.. I suppose it's a libido release thing for them.. I suppose those bullies know they have had a productive good day when they know they've hurt someone... All they really do is force me to waste another hour and half reinstalling the OS every week.. They never get any files because there aren't ever any files in this crapper Internet computer... I wish I could find out who it is, so I could go over there, knock on the door, change their diapers for them, issue each with a nice rubber teething soother and a nippled bottle of warm milk, and maybe a little spankin', and maybe nice exorcisms...
Larry78723
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Larry78723 »

Linda, when you get the new router and set it up, make sure you disable UPnP in your router. That's the most likely route to hack you.
bendipa
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bendipa »

You have 8 Notebooks, and you deleted Rsync, Thunderbird etc. Why? Do you get hacked on all 8 machines?? You didn't mention details of these 'glitches'. The hacker got your Firefox passwords? How do you know that? And assuming they did, there is a safeguard by using a Primary password in FF.

UFW is a very good way of filtering what internet traffic can enter and/or leave your computer via certain port numbers, and it might be worth reading up about it. But in the end, as long as you logon to Linux using a strong password, (a different one for each machine), and you are sure no-one at any time has had physical possession of your notebooks (as they can then change your password to get access), or you haven't at any time given someone permission for remote access it's difficult to see how they could otherwise hack you...or why they would want to.
Computer: Dell Vostro 470
Systems: Linux Mint 19.3, Ubuntu 18.04, Windows 10 (1909), Windows 7 Pro
gittiest personITW
Level 8
Level 8

Post by gittiest personITW »

Gmail and Protonmail logs show that the monster logged into my two email accounts every hour for two days
I have to butt in here.
Yes, it is possible you are being watched, hacked and stalked and we are not able to say how likely that is as we don't know your situation, however, it is also possible you aren't being watched, hacked and stalked. If you think it is someone local who you know, then why do you think that? That would also be a police matter wouldn't it?
Is it a certain person you suspect?

Apart from the above, what proof is there that someone is trying to access your email.
For instance, Thunderbird regularly accesses my email accounts. I've set it up to do that. You've got 8 computers and it is possible that one of them is accessing your email every hour.
Is it also possible that all your 8 computers aren't fully updated, or one of them is insecure or using compromised software?

Is anything actually happening on any of your computers - mouse movements, weird screens flashing up, typing etc?
Have you got any screen sharing or computer sharing - Remote Assistance software etc?

Can you run the following command in Terminal, then press 'q', then copy/paste the text in your reply, although that might be a bit of a waste of time as all of your computers are entry points.

What router do you use?
Is there an option to limit the amount of times you can type in a password, then change the password.
Do you use wireless security, WEP (insecure), or WPA2 or are your computers connected to the router using cables and switches?
Do you use your notebooks in coffee shops or any free wifi hotspot?
Also, unless the ISP provides internet for the alleged hacker, they wouldn't be able to find the details for the IP address. They'd have as much chance as you would without a damned good reason and a court order.
LindaV
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LindaV »

@Bendipa..

The hacker’ s IP was in Gmail’s and ProtonMail’s login logs.. plus those providers sent me warnings about someone who had broken into those email accounts with a strange IP...
I deleted Thunderbird because I don’t have that kind of private email address, and Thunderbird is a huge pain when it always pops-up a request requesting new connections every time I click on an email address on the internet.. I don’t trust Thunderbird, not in the slightest.. Using a freebie Gmail and ProtonMail email address, this way I can’t lose any data from the hacker kooks messing with me, nor get viruses, and I have a crapper latrine notebook set up exclusively to open untrusted emails, and to link to nefarious websites such as governments and the media... The notebooks with all my very private data, I've pulled the Internet cards from.. Only way to get that data is to physically steal the notebooks... I have one Mint notebook with Google Chrome and Netflix.. It’s used exclusively only for viewing Netflix.. I don’t care who knows what movies I’ve watched...

I have 50 notebooks, but only 8 setup with Mint.. I set up other good notebooks with Mint, and give them free to needy people and to MS kids.. A relative's son who works at a major big city computer shop saves them for me.. The ones that don't work I give to my brother to recycle the precious metals out of...

Why erase Rsync and Adobe you asked.. I’ll tell you, but I doubt you can handle it without becoming upset... Please try to not get upset dear one...
Rsync and Adobe are owned and operated by NSA.. They are dangerous spyware trojans.. Every time you run Timeshift, NSA can get a copy of your files if they wish, if you are one of their targets to try to steal new science data from, like most pioneering scientists probably are.. Plus we got a few prank telephone calls at 4:AM from a Maine exchange wile NSA people were pestering me on the internet...
Way back in Windows-98 days someone was attacking my computers a lot too.. I deleted Adobe, and the attacks stopped.. They even left trace of their crazy attacks in the OS.. A few times there were several weird icons on the boot-up screen.. I still have a camera screenshot of it..
(I can't find how to insert this image into this post)..

https://www.google.com/search?ei=cceZX- ... ent=psy-ab

https://www.google.com/search?ei=n8eZX8 ... DIQ4dUDCAw

NSA might be what’s hounding and ghosting me, because I gave my mum some new future sciences I was working on.. I gave her some critical new data on some science from about 5000 years in the future, to keep her mind active and her brain thinking in her old age.. She talked to a lot of new-age people on the internet about her new futuristic power supply and engine.. NSA under disguise of a friendly upstanding new age peoples science project invited her to Portland, gave her a temporary apartment townhouse with staff, and tried their all to pump her for the data on the new power supply and engine... I was amazed that she returned alive, from the weird stories she told me..
After she died, I offered to send her ashes to NSA in a pie for them to eat... Three NSA creeps on different occasions tried communicating with me with emails, to steal new science.. They were belligerent, bullish, demanding, insulting, coarse, and too darn obvious... I think it’s NSA messing with my router and computer.. Not a good way to make friends and acquire new sciences...

“Why did I uninstall Rsync and Adobe..?”
Because those programs are NSA spyware trojans.. NSA is still operating in WW2.. lol, They still wear those orange Arabic alpaca wool sport-jackets.. They are still living in the 1930's... I bets many of them own and drive 1930's antique vehicles.. They are probably heavily into Jane Mansfield, Marilyn Monroe, Perry Como, Dean Martin, and maybe even Howdy Doody and Friendly Giant...
Larry78723
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Larry78723 »

I'm out of here..... :shock:
gittiest personITW
Level 8
Level 8

Post by gittiest personITW »

Oh!
Well if it's the NSA, prob best just to save them the hassle and give them your computers as one day you'll go shopping and when you come back you'll find that the insides of your computers have been sprayed with whipped cream. I've heard its their way of warning all who don't conform.
You won't find that on the internet as the last people who complained about it disappeared along with all their forum posts.
If you search on this forum you won't find those complaints any longer. So be careful.
LindaV
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LindaV »

lol.. 49 attempted murder attempts and counting...
The last two were a piece of work.. A blond skank with her Mongoloid pet, both wearing 1960's trench-coats in summer.. I got a good audio video recording of them on the front-porch.. I watched them from the corner of the window.. The blond leaned over her pet, and asked "Are you ready?".. The Mongoloid female snapped her hand in her 1960's trench-coat pocket, showing the tight bulge of a small pistol with a stubby suppressor attached.. The lawyer says just the video is enough to convict them of attempted murder.. I toy with my would-be assassins.. I scanned them at the front porch.. Their MO was, the Mongoloid does does a stomach shot, the blond shoves the victim backwards, the Mongoloid does a headshot, then they do the happy dance, steal a few things, then leave..

The one before them was a fellow who called himself ‘the old king’.. While he followed me in his old red pickup, which he uses for his kills, I made a crazy-ivan u-turn, and got a good video of him.. I told my relatives about that assassin on the phone.. I knew the guy.. I had met him twice before.. Two months later they killed him and his family to silence him just in case it got to court, and he got pumped for the many murders he did for them.. They killed their own mechanic just in case.. The news report didn’t show any pix of that family, and didn’t even name them...

I don’t care if my body dies.. I solved spirit time-travel, and the universe, and the afterlife.. I Can’t die... I would like to teach it to humanity, but humanity tells me it doesn’t want it...

I invented the flash drive.. I gave it to Microsoft.. I despise money.. I don’t have any money, and I don ‘t want any money.. I have computer operating systems for the next 5500 years, and plastics that grow their own transistors and softwares on demand...
Why would the kooks want to kill the scientist who has: liquid electricity emitter to crack the bonds of the inert elements to the tune of 200-million new chemicals, liquid light engine to have humans populate this whole universe, warp drive, nano particle extraction chemistry to erase all disease on this planet and to regrow damaged brains, magma electric battery, planetary defences, weather controls, and thousands more sciences that humanity knows nothing about... Why would anyone want to kill that..? Maybe they have seriously itchy bums or rashes..? Seem it’s not worth anything to them unless they can steal it.. and if they can’t steal it, then they must break it... That’s insane...

Your precious Linux is built the ways I suggested from the time it was a university project trying to go public.. Linux is built the ways I suggested... Mint is the best of the best of all Linux computer operating systems.. It’s an honor to run Mint in my computers.. You honorable people did a super job building Mint...
chowchow
Level 3
Level 3

Post by chowchow »

Moderator please shut down this post this is nonsense. :wink:

Return to “Newbie Questions”