Cut or Copy into Sidebar

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
darkrchaos
Level 1
Level 1

Cut or Copy into Sidebar

Post by darkrchaos »

This is probably a stupid question, but I'm not entirely sure what this place is called which makes it hard to search. When you open a folder you have a sidebar with some locations. I have a lot of folders bookmarked and use it to move files quickly around. For some reason sometimes it has a copy icon "+" and other times it has a cut icon "arrow". It seems to be completely random, since it will change if I click in and out of the folder. Is it random? Is there a way to make it cut only? I don't need to copy my files.

Larry78723
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Cut or Copy into Sidebar

Post by Larry78723 »

What release and desktop of LM?
absque fenestris
Level 9
Level 9

Post by absque fenestris »

As far as MATE and Cinnamon are concerned, moving an item to another folder in the sidebar is problematic.
It is much better to open the Extra Pane (F3) in Caja or Nemo and then move the selected files back and forth between these two panes.

Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (MATE) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook
Linux Mint 20.0 Ulyana (Cinnamon) - Huawei MateBook X Pro
darkrchaos
Level 1
Level 1

Post by darkrchaos »

I'm using Cinnamon 5.4.0

Also, I use extra panels a lot. One of those features I'm pretty sure windows doesn't have that I love about linux.

Return to “Newbie Questions”