[Solved] Remote desktop

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
jbyte
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Remote desktop

Post by jbyte »

Hi,
I need to access a Mint desktop via a windows machine and wondering if anyone has any suggestions or links to tutorials? The ones I have found are for linux to linux or ssh access.
I've tried tightvnc without any luck.

Thanks
Last edited by jbyte on Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikaelrask
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Remote desktop

Post by mikaelrask »

hey and welcome to the forum and linux mint jbyte you could try with putty i have use it in the past when i needed acces another computer https://www.putty.org/ or teamviewer is another good client.
CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz
Graphic Card: nvidia 2070 super
Ram 16 GB
Kernel: 5.4.0.62-generic
kubuntu 20.04

Laptop:
CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-245m
cinnamon 20.1
Kernel 5,4.0.62-generic
Ram 4 gb
jbyte
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jbyte »

I need to view the desktop so putty won't work.

I'll try teamviewer, but I thought that was paid, thanks.
yellowfinch
Level 3
Level 3

Post by yellowfinch »

Since last spring (near the beginning of the pandemic) TeamViewer have considerably tightened their conditions for free use, to the point that, for many people (maybe most?), it is now unusable. Their algorithm constantly decides that your usage constitutes a violation of their policy and that you should buy a subscription, even when you do very little and for only a few minutes.

AnyDesk, on the other hand, doesn’t seem to have a similar issue, so far.

And it is also available for all platforms. I don’t currently have a Windows machine on which I could try it but I’m using it in many different combination to access Linux machines from other Linux machines or from Android devices and vice versa, so I would expect it to work from Windows to Linux. Interoperability is the point.
Pecu1iar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Pecu1iar »

If you're on the same network, I've found that NoMachine works well. I also have teamviewer installed and it works well if your're wanting to connect over the internet.
GS3
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GS3 »

I used Teamviewer in the past but they became a pain when they started cutting you off without warning.

I have been using Anydesk for quite some time now and it works well for me both in Linux and Windows. I would recommend it.

It is extremely easy to install. I have done several remote installations of LM by telling the user to create and run the LIVE session and then download and run Anydesk and I can take over from there.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
hayden
Level 2
Level 2

Post by hayden »

If you are the same local network, then I recommend running x11vnc server a systemd service on the linux machine, and on the Windows machine you can you any client vnc viewer like: https://www.tightvnc.com/download.php. tightvnc and x11vnc are both stable and reliable.

I have a youtube video on how to setup x11vnc as a service:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeC7ebaOB_8

But the simple steps are below. I run as root, but you can use sudo before the commands if you use sudo. Also I use vim editor, but you can use xed or nano or whatever editor you're comfortable with.

Code: Select all

# apt-get install x11vnc vim
# x11vnc -storepasswd yourVNCpasswordHERE /etc/x11vnc.pass
# vi /etc/systemd/system/x11vnc.service

[Unit]
Description="x11vnc"
Requires=display-manager.service
After=display-manager.service

[Service]
ExecStart=/usr/bin/x11vnc -xkb -noxrecord -noxfixes -noxdamage -display :0 -auth guess -rfbauth /etc/x11vnc.pass
ExecStop=/usr/bin/killall x11vnc
Restart=on-failure
Restart-sec=2

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

# systemctl daemon-reload
# systemctl start x11vnc
# systemctl enable x11vnc
If you are accessing the machine over the internet, then I recommend VNC Connect for both linux and windows.https://www.realvnc.com/en/connect/. It's free for up to 5 computers.
JerryF
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JerryF »

Remmina has VNC and RDP.
*** IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts. ***
AndyMH
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AndyMH »

Pecu1iar wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:51 pm
If you're on the same network, I've found that NoMachine works well.
+1
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
jbyte
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jbyte »

Thanks for all the responses, I ended up using Anydesk and so far it works very well for what I need.

Return to “Newbie Questions”