[SOLVED] Driver Manager Offerings / What to Do

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
JTemple
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [SOLVED] Driver Manager Offerings / What to Do

Post by JTemple »

MartyMint wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:00 pm
Wanna bet that secure boot is enabled?
:shock:
ODDLY, when I went to DELL support, DELL wanted secure boot ENABLED to install a new OS, and they do have a page with instructions for installing Linux systems. THEY WERE INCORRECT about their own system. :roll: I tried to load LM2 4 times! twice with secure boot on and twice off. It refused to work either way! How I finally got LM to load is a complete mystery to me. It happened while I was hitting buttons to try hold onto error messages that were really zipping past. I wanted to write hard copy that text. I hit something and to my shock, LM started loading. I sure wish I knew what I had done right!! :lol: In any case, the install happened with secure boot disabled.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell (I suspect I'm often of the stupid variety!)
SMG
Level 7
Level 7

Post by SMG »

JTemple wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:09 pm
The situation in my setup is now as clear as mud, to me. :lol: So, would things be made more clear if I went in and photographed relevant areas of my BIOS tree.
Yes. There is variation on how hardware manufacturers handle this type of situation, so knowing exactly what you have will help us be able to help you.
LM20.0 Cinnamon
JTemple
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JTemple »

SMG wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:52 am
JTemple wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:09 pm
The situation in my setup is now as clear as mud, to me. :lol: So, would things be made more clear if I went in and photographed relevant areas of my BIOS tree.
Yes. There is variation on how hardware manufacturers handle this type of situation, so knowing exactly what you have will help us be able to help you.
I don't need to tell you that photos of the entirety of the BIOS could not be posted here so I loaded them into drop box. There are 43 pics showing every bios option / setting.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/728xmulzkof4 ... bC-Ca?dl=0
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell (I suspect I'm often of the stupid variety!)
SMG
Level 7
Level 7

Post by SMG »

JTemple wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:37 pm
I don't need to tell you that photos of the entirety of the BIOS could not be posted here so I loaded them into drop box. There are 43 pics showing every bios option / setting.
That is dedication to post all those. Do you have any photos of the "Video" section? I didn't notice them. #14 was the last of System Configuration and #15 was the Secure Boot section.

One thing I did notice is the front USB ports are 3.0. I presume the rear USB ports are 2.0. That might have been a factor in your most recent install if you used the front ports, but I do not know that for sure. Just a variable to keep in mind if you ever have to reinstall.
LM20.0 Cinnamon
JTemple
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JTemple »

SMG wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:15 pm
That is dedication to post all those. Do you have any photos of the "Video" section? I didn't notice them. #14 was the last of System Configuration and #15 was the Secure Boot section.

One thing I did notice is the front USB ports are 3.0. I presume the rear USB ports are 2.0. That might have been a factor in your most recent install if you used the front ports, but I do not know that for sure. Just a variable to keep in mind if you ever have to reinstall.
I thought I had gone through every branch of the tree but maybe I missed video, anyway here is that branch:
JTemple
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JTemple »

SMG wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:15 pm
JTemple wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:37 pm

Linux prefers 2.0 USB? You are correct fronts are 3.0 rear are all 2.0 USBs
SMG
Level 7
Level 7

Post by SMG »

JTemple wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:11 pm
I thought I had gone through every branch of the tree but maybe I missed video, anyway here is that branch:
That is the same link as you posted earlier and it does not look like more photos were added? Was it supposed to be a different link?
JTemple wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:28 pm
I recall seeing people posting with issues on USB 3.0 ports, but I do not recall if those were install issues or just general usb connection issues. That's why I said I was not sure. It is easier to plug into a different usb port than burn a new usb when running into issues, so I figured I'd mention it.
LM20.0 Cinnamon
JTemple
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JTemple »

SMG wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:43 pm
JTemple wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:11 pm
That is the same link as you posted earlier and it does not look like more photos were added? Was it supposed to be a different link?
JTemple wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:28 pm
I recall seeing people posting with issues on USB 3.0 ports, but I do not recall if those were install issues or just general usb connection issues. That's why I said I was not sure. It is easier to plug into a different usb port than burn a new usb when running into issues, so I figured I'd mention it.
Sirry Dropbox glitch, it would not allow a new link without deleting every thing to do with the old on!
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nk0v45iugae4 ... z8Kfa?dl=0
This one is working but all the other is now gone (I STILL HATE MS!!!)
SMG
Level 7
Level 7

Post by SMG »

From the BIOS/UEFI:
Video Options
Primary Display

Auto---------------------->Currently Selected
Intel HD Graphics
Nvidia HD Graphics

This field determines which video controller will become the primary display when multiple controllers are available in the system.

If you select a device other than what you are currently using you will have to reconnect your video cable to your selected device.

Note: When Auto is not selected the onboard graphics device will be present and enabled.
Now that I see this, I understand why things have been as clear as mud.

Based on this description if you would select "Intel HD Graphics" then you must have your cable connected where you had it originally connected (position 1 in zcot's graphic) and only Intel would be used because the "Note" indicates onboard graphics is present and enabled when Auto is not selected.

So if you would select "Nvidia HD Graphics" then you must have your cable connected where it is right now (position 2 in zcot's graphic) and both it and Intel would be enabled because of what the "Note" says. I would guess this is the setting which is similar to the "hybrid" setting seen in Optimus laptops.

If "Auto" is selected then I'm not sure where the cable goes (maybe it can be either?) and I would presume the "present and enabled" graphics would be one or the other. I have no idea what might decide which one is used. However, the output of inxi that you've posted indicates Mint may be seeing this option as the "hybrid" setting seen in Optimus laptops.

Let's see how others interpret these options.
LM20.0 Cinnamon
zcot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by zcot »

"Multi-Display" means both gpu's are active.
JTemple
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JTemple »

zcot wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:02 am
And Now, back to the original question in the post, Which, if any of the driver updates would I want to install?
zcot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by zcot »

I don't do dual gpu stuff on non Optimus setups, on a single monitor setup, or I don't even know if it is or not, but even with the hardware in front of me it would take testing it twice to find out, and that might potentially involve breaking the thing and having to use tty to change the driver setup back around, but trying to walk someone through that diagnostic isn't very motivating, only to figure out what the dual gpu design is going to be, for a single monitor setup. That's a waste for everybody.

I know this for sure though, with one monitor, there will absolutely be no extra benefit of trying to use a dual gpu setup.

As far as I'm concerned, for how you are choosing to set it, it's fine like it is. You have the nouveau open source nvidia driver and that works fine enough for basic stuff, and you get the benefit of offboard memory and processing, think of it like another computer within the computer. So, like it is, you have good benefit. It's a good system.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

JTemple wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:04 pm
zcot wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:02 am
And Now, back to the original question in the post, Which, if any of the driver updates would I want to install?

Intel updates will arrive with kernel updates.

In other words, if the NVIDIA GPU is functioning to your satisfaction, leave it alone.
JTemple
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JTemple »

:D @zcot , @ MartyMint , @SMG , Thank you all VERY MUCH! You have invested a lot of thought and energy in helping me understand what my system is about and I am grateful. So, I can simply leave well enough alone and my regular updates will take care of everything. At least that is what I am understanding.
zcot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by zcot »

Great! good news. good job on that stuff.
SMG
Level 7
Level 7

Post by SMG »

JTemple wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:52 am
So, I can simply leave well enough alone and my regular updates will take care of everything. At least that is what I am understanding.
I went back to your reply to my initial question in this thread about your "troubles" and your system info and I think I have been able to back-figure what happened.
JTemple wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:15 am
Back some days ago my system suddenly got really, really slow & was freezing when it went to screen saver. viewtopic.php?f=90&t=334809 New driver was said to be required and I did what was suggested. THEN: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=334868 AND THEN, finally, in desperation I decided to start over with a fresh, clean install: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=334997

Code: Select all

Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 630 vendor: Dell driver: i915 v: kernel 
  bus ID: 00:02.0 
  Device-2: NVIDIA GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050] vendor: Dell driver: nouveau 
  v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa 
  resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 630 (KBL GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 20.0.8 
  direct render: Yes 
Your system is currently running only with the Intel display drivers, so you are back to where you started at the beginning that first thread except for the fact you now have Secure Boot turned off (and it has been off since before you installed Mint) and your display is plugged into the Nvidia gpu. Intel display drivers are in the kernel, so doing kernel updates will keep them up-to-date.

If your system is running well, I suggest taking a Timeshift snapshot. That way if you decide to install drivers for your Nvidia gpu (nvidia-driver-450 without the word server) you will have the option to revert to the snapshot instead of doing a reinstall if, for some reason, you do not like the performance.

The difference between a reinstall and using a snapshot is you can install Shutter and any other programs and set up your desktop the way you want and when you restore to the snapshot you are at the same place (everything installed at the time of the snapshot) instead of starting over.

An explainer about Nvidia drivers
Nvidia drivers, which are third-party drivers, work in tandem with the Linux kernel. The Nvidia modules are built during the boot process. During that boot process, if Secure Boot is turned on, then the Nvidia driver must be 'signed' so the kernel knows it is legit. They must have "matching keys". Any time you install a new kernel (such as when an update comes through) or a new Nvidia driver, you will need new keys made. The keying process takes time and reboots and can be inconvenient, so we recommend to leave Secure Boot turned off.

What happened in your threads
So in that first thread when you installed the Nvidia driver, it appears you did not do the entire process. You did not really have the Nvidia driver installed and I know that because of a screenshot you included in the second thread. The grey screen with the blue perimeter says "Configuring Secure Boot" at the top. That is the screen where you create the matching keys for your Nvidia driver and kernel. No matching keys means no driver installed. The driver was not installed completely until after you did the reboot in that thread. (That second thread also had a boot log at the top which made no mention of Nvidia driver modules.)

At the beginning of your third thread you have the Nvidia driver installed. This is what you want to see as output when the Nvidia driver is installed correctly.

Code: Select all

Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 630 vendor: Dell driver: i915 v: kernel 
  bus ID: 00:02.0 
  Device-2: NVIDIA GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050] vendor: Dell driver: nvidia 
  v: 450.80.02 bus ID: 01:00.0 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: modesetting,nvidia 
  unloaded: fbdev,nouveau,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 1050/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 450.80.02 
  direct render: Yes 
I am not sure what caused the slow, sticky to open files, but if it was because you didn't have the Nvidia driver installed (and given the settings in your BIOS/UEFI it is possible that was the case) then you will probably run into that problem again because your computer is back to that situation.

You probably ran into the 'Freezing PC requires hard boot, won't wake' issue because the Nvidia driver was, at best, only partially installed. By the time you got to the start of the third thread, you may have been all set to go and may not have needed to do anything. That is now water under the bridge since you did reinstall and all of us now know much more about the BIOS/UEFI of your computer :) (even if we are not completely sure we understand it).

Conclusion
It is possible you will again have your original problem.

Although the first screenshot in this thread indicates you have nouveau installed, your inxi -G data does not seem to indicate that is the case. One would need to check other files to verify if it is or not, but that should be in a separate thread under the Graphic cards and Monitors section of the forum if you would like to pursue that. If your computer is running with no issues, it's perfectly fine to leave it as is.

And now, per Paul Harvey's ghost, you know the rest of the story. :)
LM20.0 Cinnamon

Return to “Newbie Questions”