Problem changing to SSD

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
PhilAshby
Level 1
Level 1

Problem changing to SSD

Post by PhilAshby »

I am planning to switch my primary drive to an SSD but have run into difficulty.

My current main drive is a Seagate ST4000DM004-2CV104 (4TB). When I installed to that drive I booted from a USB, using UEFI Secure Boot, and everything installed correctly.

With the Western Digital WDS200T2B0A-00SM50 the USB would not boot unless I disabled Secure Boot. When I went to install to hard drive the install was aborted as files could not be copied. Partitions have been created. GParted tells me that there are a few files in these but the disk cannot be mounted.

I have re-booted into my Seagate with Secure Boot turned back on so it's not a problem with the OS. Is there something about using SSDs that is different?

I am using Mint 20 Mate.
Pepper-Mint-Patty
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Problem changing to SSD

Post by Pepper-Mint-Patty »

What exactly do you want to achieve?
Clean install LM 20 on ssd???
Language is a virus.
19.2 Cinn + latest kernel + Nemo 4.2.3
PhilAshby
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PhilAshby »

Yes.

I need to get past the BIOS message "Verification failed: (0x1A) security violation." Followed by an OK box. I did not have this when installing to the Seagate HDD.

I don't know if the installation was aborted because I turned Secure Boot off.

I have deleted the few files that were copied to the SSD using GParted so it is clean again.

Any ideas?
Termy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Termy »

Looking elsewhere online suggests Secure Boot being on is the reason for this message, for some reason. Then again, some users are reporting the error despite disabling Secure Boot. :?

Check the last post here, by hakuna-m: https://github.com/hakuna-m/wubiuefi/issues/175
I use Linux Mint 18.3 with Cinnamon in a VirtualBox VM for testing & sandboxing.

I'm LearnLinux (LL) on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfp-lN ... naEE6NtDSg
I'm also terminalforlife (TFL) on GitHub: https://github.com/terminalforlife
PhilAshby
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PhilAshby »

When I disabled Secure Boot I was able to boot from the USB drive but the installation to the SSD failed.

So there are two issues - the need to disable Secure Boot which was not necessary before when booting from USB, and the refusal of the SSD to accept files written to it once the USB has booted.

Is there any issue with 2TB WD SSDs?
AndyMH
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AndyMH »

Slightly off at a tangent but...

My desktop refuses to boot from usb in UEFI mode (secure boot off). The only way I was able to install mint (and win10) was to burn the iso to DVD and boot from that. Might be worth a shot.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
PhilAshby
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PhilAshby »

Thanks I'll give it a spin (sorry!!!) and let you know.
Termy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Termy »

Thanks, that made me laugh (the "spin" bit). :lol:
I use Linux Mint 18.3 with Cinnamon in a VirtualBox VM for testing & sandboxing.

I'm LearnLinux (LL) on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfp-lN ... naEE6NtDSg
I'm also terminalforlife (TFL) on GitHub: https://github.com/terminalforlife
PhilAshby
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PhilAshby »

I have done more experimenting and reading but am no closer to a solution.

Trying to boot from both CD and USB produces teh same error in both Mate and Cinnamon.

The EFI folder contains both grubx64.efi and mmx.64.efi.

I will have another go at installing to the SSD with Secure Boot turned off but I am close to giving up.
AndyMH
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AndyMH »

If all else fails you could try cloning the HDD to the SSD. Assume the SSD is smaller than the HDD so you would need to shrink the partitions on the HDD first so they will fit.

You could use foxclone or clonezilla, foxclone is more user friendly (I developed it). You need to download the iso and burn to a usb stick to boot. You will need to turn off secure boot to boot in UEFI or switch to legacy boot. Once booted and cloned, swap the drives over and set your BIOS back to where it was before.

I can't, offhand, think of any reason why you should be able to boot from HDD but not SSD.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi PhilAshby,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

You did not mention or I did not see which application you used to create the bootable USB stick and from what operating system. I found that not all bootable USB stick creator applications work properly with uEFI. Earlier this year with my first uEFI computer with MS Windows 10 pre-installed, I ran into all kinds of issues trying to install Linux. The most recommended "Rufus" USB Stick creator program in MS Windows 10 did not work properly with my Linux Mint or Linux KDE Neon with this computer's uEFI. If the USB stick creator application works properly, and the operating system's installation iso file was created properly, when you boot to the USB stick, you should see an option in the uEFI boot menu and the legacy boot menu. If it only shows in the legacy boot menu or not at all, it did not work properly. Of course, you must have a working good USB stick of at least 4gb and a properly downloaded Linux Mint iso file (verify the checksum value).

FYI: With my Dell Inspiron uEFI computer, I first had to disable the Bios secure boot feature, boot into MS Windows 10 and remove the Bitlocker encryption (disable this which took some time) and turn off any Windows fast start boot options. Then because Rufus did not work, I installed Rosa Image Writer USB stick creator in my MS Windows 10 (works in Linux too) and created a bootable USB Stick which did work and showed up in both my uEFI and Legacy boot menus. In order for it to update the uEFI boot menu properly, I had to choose the option under the uEFI boot menu which I think showed "Ubuntu".

There are a fair amount of bootable USB Stick creator applications for Ms Windows, Linux, and Mac systems, but not all of them work properly with uEFI and certain operating systems, so you would have to try them and see. (Unetbootin, Etcher, Multiboot USB, Linux Mint Image writer, etc...)

Downloads – en.rosalinux.com n- recommended by Linux KDE Neon's website.
http://en.rosalinux.com/downloads/

As has been suggested, If you want to get the stuff you have on the current drive to the SSDrive, you can use a disk cloning application like Clonezilla Live as long as the SSD is large enough to hold the amount of used data space from the original drive's partition(s). For example, You can clone a 2tb drive to a 512 gb drive if the space used on the 2 tb drive partition(s) that you want use less than 512 gb.

Hope this helps ...

Phil
Last edited by phd21 on Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 and 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
Finston Pickle
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Finston Pickle »

How about using one of those SSDs, which connect to the PC through a usb C connector. SanDisc do several in a range of sizes and were rated as best buys in Computer Active in the UK this month. Their SSDs are really fast, if fairly expensive.

I guess you may need a USB C to USB 3 cable or adaptor as well, but the SSD should be recognised easily.

I would use Foxclone to clone the PC directly to the SSD and use the internal HDD as storage from now on.
ralplpcr
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ralplpcr »

Hi PhilAshby, & welcome to the forum!

I'm going to go out on a limb here and ask what may seem like an off-the-wall suggestion.... but it's a mistake that could be easy to make if you're not paying attention. What exactly do you have mounted when you're trying to install?

The reason I ask is because I had a similar issue when I was relatively new to Mint. There is a function in the Mint (Ubuntu) installer that will pop up a message along the lines of "disk /dev/sdx is mounted, do you wish to unmount?" If you're not paying attention, it is possible to unmount the USB drive from which you're trying to install. If you do this, your installation will fail.

This "bug" drove me crazy for a good while! Couldn't figure out for the life of me why the installer *seemed* to be working fine, only to fail at the end. Or worse, it would occasionally say that it finished, only to then *not* actually install to my target disk.

Long story short : pay careful attention to what is mounted, and to where you're selecting to install Mint. Only the USB disk should remain mounted during the installation, in most cases. You certainly DON'T want to mount the target disk (the installer handles that), nor do you want to unmount the installation media.

Return to “Newbie Questions”