How find out about all down & uploads

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Pepper-Mint-Patty
Level 4
Level 4

How find out about all down & uploads

Post by Pepper-Mint-Patty »

On a LM 20 system i just installed RawTherapee via the sw manager. According to system monitor after a while more then a whopping 10 GB! was downloaded and 800mb uploaded!
It looks like the syst monitor is not calibrated, looking in FF download speed it shows about 10 times slower measurements.

Ok +10mb d/l speed seems to be too unrealistic down here. Still really want to know what is happening there. Syst mon does mention +10GB d/l.
How to find out what is downloaded and how big the files are?
Language is a virus.
19.2 Cinn + latest kernel + Nemo 4.2.3
Termy
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How find out about all down & uploads

Post by Termy »

Were I in your shoes, I'd have different feet.

But seriously, I'd sudo apt-get install nethogs then run nethogs to see what's taking up so much bandwidth. Hope that helps. I can't offer a graphical solution because I don't know of one, but no doubt someone else here will.

Also, be sure you're not confusing the measurements, like Mb with MB; admittedly, it does get a bit convoluted.
I use Linux Mint 18.3 with Cinnamon in a VirtualBox VM for testing & sandboxing.

I'm LearnLinux (LL) on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfp-lN ... naEE6NtDSg
I'm also terminalforlife (TFL) on GitHub: https://github.com/terminalforlife

Return to “Newbie Questions”