Looking for best LM on a laptop forum/discussion...

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
lakester
Level 1
Level 1

Looking for best LM on a laptop forum/discussion...

Post by lakester »

tl;dr: I'm looking for a forum or source of information that focuses SPECIFICALLY on Linux Mint, on a laptop.

It's nearing time to retire my MBP, and since I'm not happy with the direction Apple has taken MacOS, I think the time has come to consider the Linux and laptop option.

I'm a long time user of Linux on the desktop and an LM user for a good part of that time.

To this day, it often seems that Linux on a laptop can become a bit of a science experiment. Sometimes everything "just works", but often there are significant glitches, and after 40+ years in the biz..., I'm just sick of that you-know-what.

This is why I was actually looking for a turnkey solution. I seriously considered System76, but a close friend's experience with it (and the time I spent debugging it) really called into question, for me, the actual value-add of going that route, or a similar route. (..., and..., I hated Pop_OS).

So..., if I'm stuck experimenting, it might as well as be with the distro I like best, LM in this case. I just want to minimize the pain wrt laptop selection, hence my question regarding specifically LM on a laptop.

Thx!
vimes666
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Looking for best LM on a laptop forum/discussion...

Post by vimes666 »

There is a topic about it in this forum: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=266659
Or maybe you should go for a MBP (mintbookpro :) ): https://www.ubuntushop.be/index.php/en/ ... books.html
If you think the issue is solved, edit your original post and add the word solved to the title.
Larry78723
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Larry78723 »

I have several Lenovo Thinkpads that I bought as refurbished units. All worked OOTB with Mint.
AndyMH
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AndyMH »

If you want to buy new, I think both dell and lenovo ship laptops with ubuntu. Check their websites. If it runs ubuntu it will run mint.

Other than that, it is difficult to beat a second hand thinkpad, but I'm biased.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
lakester
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lakester »

Thx All!
I would like to buy new. It looks like it's getting easier to go to Dell's or Lenovo's sites and get a clear statement of, at least, Linux viability.
My only restriction I guess is I need a 15" display (something close to retina), and pricing somewhat less than Apple would be nice.
Cheers!
Finston Pickle
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Finston Pickle »

If you are in the UK, Entroware do a good range of Laptops at a selectable spec and screen sizes and competative price.

They run Ubuntu out of the box. I bought one and they disabled both safe start and UEFI for me, allowing me to install Zorin 12 very easily.

I am now a Linux Mint Cinnamon convert and the Entroware laptop was easy to clone from my old Windows XP machine, now dual booted with Linux Mint Cinnamon. Feren is very similar.
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi lakester,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

I needed a better computer for all my computing needs that was reasonably priced and worked with Linux Mint. I already knew that most Dell computers worked with Linux. So, I got a Dell Inspiron i5 7000 2-in-1 convertible laptop (15.6 " touch screen) which came with MS Windows 10 Home pre-installed. I was able to install Linux Mint 19.x and then 20.x and everything just works perfectly including the touch screen, the internal WiFi dual-band, and Bluetooth, etc... If you can afford it, their Dell XPS laptops have better performance hardware.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 and 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.

Return to “Newbie Questions”