How To Increase "Grabability" of Window Borders for Certain Apps in Mate LM 19?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Ow That Hurts
Level 2
Level 2

How To Increase "Grabability" of Window Borders for Certain Apps in Mate LM 19?

Post by Ow That Hurts »

So in Opera browser (and maybe some other apps) I find it hard to grab the window border with the mouse if I want to resize the windows. There is a very narrow area of window border where the mouse pointer changes to a hand and I can grab the border and resize the window.

I don't have this problem with Firefox, for example, or the default file manager in Mate, which I guess is Caja.

It is really only in Opera and it might (potentially) occur in other programs.

I have gone through the settings inside opera and can't seem to find any setting that affects the border width around the windows or allows one to be less precise with the location of the mouse pointer when resizing windows.

Is there some way to do this within Linux Mint 19 Mate???

Thanks in advance.
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Re: How To Increase "Grabability" of Window Borders for Certain Apps in Mate LM 19?

Post by antikythera »

It may be related to client side decorations being enabled or not (aka system title bars being turned off). Turn the system title bar on in Opera and see if it makes any difference. In Cinnamon System Settings>Windows Behaviour tab it's possible to increase the threshold above the normal 24 pixels but I'm not sure about XFCE.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
Ow That Hurts
Level 2
Level 2

Re: How To Increase "Grabability" of Window Borders for Certain Apps in Mate LM 19?

Post by Ow That Hurts »

antikythera wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:05 pm
It may be related to client side decorations being enabled or not (aka system title bars being turned off). Turn the system title bar on in Opera and see if it makes any difference. In Cinnamon System Settings>Windows Behaviour tab it's possible to increase the threshold above the normal 24 pixels but I'm not sure about XFCE.
Thank you for the reply.

1) I checked the Opera settings and unfortunately I could not find a way to "Turn the system title bar on in Opera"

2) In Mate there is a Window Preferences but I don't see anything at all about increasing the threshold.

Don't particularly want to use Cinnamon but I might have to.

EDIT: Just tried with using Cinamon desktop and it doesn't seem like the System Settings>Windows[/b] Behaviour tab has NAY effect whatsoever on either the Opera windows nor on the system windows in Linux Mint at all. I changed the pixel tolerance from 24 to 100 and the area where I can grab the window border in opera is still very small (like one pixel wide) and the area that I can grab the borer in the file manager or in the system windows is still just as wide as it is when it was set to 24 pixels.

Do I have to log out and log back in to take effect?

Could it be a problem with the graphics card driver I am using???
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

Probably log out and back in but if you are running cinnamon from a live session, the change will not stick anyway. It will get reset when you log out and back in.
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
Ow That Hurts
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ow That Hurts »

antikythera wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:47 pm
Probably log out and back in but if you are running cinnamon from a live session, the change will not stick anyway. It will get reset when you log out and back in.
Thanks again for helping me with this.

Unfortunately logging out and logging back in didn't help.

Also, I switched the driver for my GTX 750 TI from the recommended Nvidia driver to the xorg driver and that didn't help, either. (the Nvidia driver was causing screen tearing anyway and I haven't really found any prolblems with the xorg driver so will probably stick with it for now).
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

Then the grab width setting may be getting bypassed by the theme in use, some do override it.
Ow That Hurts
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ow That Hurts »

antikythera wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:43 pm
Then the grab width setting may be getting bypassed by the theme in use, some do override it.
OK, thanks. I will try different themes. I am not at that machine but I think I am using dark Mint with spidey window borders???
Ow That Hurts
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ow That Hurts »

Well... i tried some different themes and unfortunately no luck in increasing the area where i can grab a window border and resize.

I noticed that even in Windows 10 that area around the border windows is very narrow as well :(

Return to “Newbie Questions”