fingerprint login for lightdm

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pailaka
Level 1
Level 1

fingerprint login for lightdm

Post by pailaka »

I have a thinkpad x1 carbon with a fingerprint sensor. I have successfully enrolled a fingerprint, and it works great for sudo (terminal) and for unlocking after screen lock, and pretty much everything except initial login at the lightdm screen.

It appears to work on the lightdm screen, it says "place fingerprint" and appears to accept it with a "login" prompt, but then when I press the login prompt it restarts the entire process. Eventually I am able to let it timeout and I can use my password to login.

Code: Select all

$ cat /var/log/auth.log

complains about

lightdm: PAM unable to dlopen(pam_kwallet.so): /lib/security/pam_kwallet.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

lightdm: gkr-pam: no password is available for user

lightdm: pam_succeed_if(lightdm:auth): requirement "user ingroup nopasswdlogin" not met by user "
Re: that last one, I added myself to the "nopasswdlogin" group but then I couldn't login at all. I had to drop to a single user mode to remove myself from that group to even login.
Is it a pam login permissions problem? Any help is appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pailaka
Level 1
Level 1

Re: fingerprint login for lightdm

Post by pailaka »

I ended up disabling it for the login screen using these instructions:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/210815/how-can-i-login-to-lightdm-with-password-for-fingerprint-enabled-user-after-12-1
Looks like a temporary fix, since pam updates will not affect lightdm, so still looking for a proper fix
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
faravena
Level 1
Level 1

Post by faravena »

Hello, have you found any solution?

Exactly the same thing happens to me when I log in with my fingerprints, it returns to ask me to log in, and I must wait for the time out to be able to log in with a password.
Once inside, the fingerprint reader works without problems.

Thank you,

regards

Return to “Beginner Questions”