[SOLVED] How can I set up "High Performance" settings?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
TKO
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] How can I set up "High Performance" settings?

Post by TKO »

Linux Mint is incredibly slow when it comes to any sort of browser game. I'm trying to launch a browser game for a project I'm working on, but it's so pathetically slow that I just can't do anything (.io games, etc.).
I've heard that Windows has a "High Performance" settings to speed up their laptops. There has to be a way to set that up in LM, but I can't seem to find it.

Edit: I'm running on a Dell Inspiron 17 5765 if that matters.
Last edited by TKO on Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deepakdeshp
Level 19
Level 19

Re: How can I set up "High Performance" settings?

Post by deepakdeshp »

Post output of command

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
in code tags.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 20.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 / 8GB
Mint 20.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Hoser Rob
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Hoser Rob »

TKO wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:17 pm
... I've heard that Windows has a "High Performance" settings to speed up their laptops. There has to be a way to set that up in LM, but I can't seem to find it....
Never ever assume that you can replicate any WIndows feature in Linux, it's not just a free version of WIndows.

ANd do post inxi -Fxz output, need system details.
TKO
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TKO »

deepakdeshp wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:51 am
Post output of command

inxi -Fxz
in code tags.
Hoser Rob wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:45 am
TKO wrote:
... I've heard that Windows has a "High Performance" settings to speed up their laptops. There has to be a way to set that up in LM, but I can't seem to find it....
Never ever assume that you can replicate any WIndows feature in Linux, it's not just a free version of WIndows.

ANd do post inxi -Fxz output, need system details.

System:
  Host: Ang-LM Kernel: 5.3.0-59-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc 
  v: 7.5.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.4.8 Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia 
  base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic 
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: Dell product: Inspiron 5765 v: 1.1.1 serial: <filter> 
  Mobo: Dell model: 0KHJFT v: A00 serial: <filter> UEFI: Dell v: 1.1.1 
  date: 07/17/2017 
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT1 charge: 17.3 Wh condition: 17.4/42.0 Wh (42%) 
  model: SDI 0x4E,0x46,0x42,0x33,0x00,0x00,0x0013 status: Unknown 
CPU:
  Topology: Dual Core model: AMD A9-9400 RADEON R5 5 COMPUTE CORES 2C+3G 
  bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Excavator L2 cache: 1024 KiB 
  flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm 
  bogomips: 9582 
  Speed: 1397 MHz min/max: 1400/2400 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1397 2: 1397 
Graphics:
  Device-1: AMD Stoney [Radeon R2/R3/R4/R5 Graphics] vendor: Dell 
  driver: amdgpu v: kernel bus ID: 00:01.0 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: amdgpu,ati 
  unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,radeon,vesa resolution: 1600x900~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: AMD STONEY (DRM 3.33.0 5.3.0-59-generic LLVM 9.0.0) 
  v: 4.5 Mesa 19.2.8 direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: AMD vendor: Dell driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:01.1 
  Device-2: AMD Family 15h Audio vendor: Dell driver: snd_hda_intel 
  v: kernel bus ID: 00:09.2 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.3.0-59-generic 
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet vendor: Dell 
  driver: r8169 v: kernel port: 2000 bus ID: 02:00.0 
  IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: <filter> 
  Device-2: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter 
  vendor: Dell driver: ath10k_pci v: kernel port: 2000 bus ID: 03:00.0 
  IF: wlp3s0 state: up mac: <filter> 
  Device-3: Atheros type: USB driver: btusb bus ID: 2-1:2 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 946.10 GiB used: 68.22 GiB (7.2%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WD10JPVX-75JC3T0 
  size: 931.51 GiB 
  ID-2: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: SanDisk model: Cruzer Glide 
  size: 14.59 GiB 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 915.40 GiB used: 67.18 GiB (7.3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 40.5 C mobo: N/A 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 0 
Info:
  Processes: 211 Uptime: 16h 03m Memory: 7.24 GiB used: 3.35 GiB (46.2%) 
  Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 7.5.0 clang: 6.0.0-1ubuntu2 
  Shell: bash v: 4.4.20 inxi: 3.0.32
That would be my output.
Termy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Termy »

Did you install the proprietary AMD driver, or have you stuck with the opensource variant? I'm not familiar with AMD graphics in Linux, but in nVidia Land, you should get the best performance when handling 3D graphics, such as games, if you use the official, proprietary driver. I did this recently having used the opensource nouveau driver for all my years on Linux; the difference is night and day.

That being said, the result of my using the proprietary driver is so far not perfect, as I'm back to getting screen tearing and have noticed one or two other oddities, but nothing too major. Hopefully you'll have a good experience if you switch to the proprietary driver.
I use Linux Mint 18.3 with Cinnamon in a VirtualBox VM for testing & sandboxing.

I'm LearnLinux (LL) on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/learnlinux
I'm also terminalforlife (TFL) on GitHub: https://github.com/terminalforlife
TKO
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TKO »

Termy wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:36 pm
Did you install the proprietary AMD driver, or have you stuck with the opensource variant? I'm not familiar with AMD graphics in Linux, but in nVidia Land, you should get the best performance when handling 3D graphics, such as games, if you use the official, proprietary driver. I did this recently having used the opensource nouveau driver for all my years on Linux; the difference is night and day.

That being said, the result of my using the proprietary driver is so far not perfect, as I'm back to getting screen tearing and have noticed one or two other oddities, but nothing too major. Hopefully you'll have a good experience if you switch to the proprietary driver.
I haven't installed any drivers since switching from Windows to Linux. I'm guessing that may be the problem? Would you recommend installing the "AMD driver"? I'll have to look into that.

Aren't AMD graphic drivers included in the Linux kernel?

EDIT: I just checked and my Driver Manager says:
driver.png
Apparently, I'm using the default open-source free drivers.
Could this be the cause of my slowness?
SMG
Level 11
Level 11

Post by SMG »

TKO wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:04 pm
Apparently, I'm using the default open-source free drivers.
Could this be the cause of my slowness?
The open source drivers are included in the kernel, but you are not using a currently supported kernel. I suggest updating to the 5.4 LTS kernel. You should be able to do that in Update Manager. Select View > Linux Kernels and click Continue. Click 5.4 in the left pane and then click the topmost option in the right pane to make the "Install" button visible. Install it and reboot to put it in use.

System:
Host: Ang-LM Kernel: 5.3.0-59-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc
v: 7.5.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.4.8 Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic
LM20.1 Cinnamon
TKO
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TKO »

So is my out-of-date kernel the cause for my low performance? I've installed the 5.4 kernel and have rebooted it. Should I be installing a proprietary driver to speed up my laptop?
SMG
Level 11
Level 11

Post by SMG »

TKO wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:00 pm
So is my out-of-date kernel the cause for my low performance? I've installed the 5.4 kernel and have rebooted it. Should I be installing a proprietary driver to speed up my laptop?
I do not know. I've honestly never heard anyone discuss "low performance" issues, so I do not really understand what that means. I just know you are more likely to get better performance running up-to-date software.

What criteria are you using to measure the "speed" of your laptop?
LM20.1 Cinnamon
TKO
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TKO »

SMG wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:10 pm
TKO wrote:
I do not know. I've honestly never heard anyone discuss "low performance" issues, so I do not really understand what that means. I just know you are more likely to get better performance running up-to-date software.

What criteria are you using to measure the "speed" of your laptop?
Really the only point of reference I have is the fps I get on browser games. These games are working better now since the update, but I'm curious if installing a proprietary driver would help run these games better or just help the laptop in terms of performance? Sorry for being vague, but all I keep hearing about is performance and I'm drawing a parallel with that and the speed at which my laptop runs.

Some forums claim that proprietary drivers are better than open source drivers and vice versa. Would there be any downside to installing a proprietary driver?
ThrashZone2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ThrashZone2 »

TKO wrote:
Linux Mint is incredibly slow when it comes to any sort of browser game. I'm trying to launch a browser game for a project I'm working on, but it's so pathetically slow that I just can't do anything (.io games, etc.).
I've heard that Windows has a "High Performance" settings to speed up their laptops. There has to be a way to set that up in LM, but I can't seem to find it.

Edit: I'm running on a Dell Inspiron 17 5765 if that matters.
Hi,
Install this app open and switch to Performance
I agree linux is lame without this.
Indicator-cpufreq
Cinnamon 20-x64----Win-7 & 10 pro's
SMG
Level 11
Level 11

Post by SMG »

TKO wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:27 pm
Really the only point of reference I have is the fps I get on browser games. These games are working better now since the update, but I'm curious if installing a proprietary driver would help run these games better or just help the laptop in terms of performance? Sorry for being vague, but all I keep hearing about is performance and I'm drawing a parallel with that and the speed at which my laptop runs.
I do not game and have no idea what games you are using. It is possible if the game is browser-based that there might be browser changes which would help. I am not able to help you with game-performance-improvement advice.
TKO wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:27 pm
Some forums claim that proprietary drivers are better than open source drivers and vice versa. Would there be any downside to installing a proprietary driver?
I do not know if there are proprietary drivers available for your graphics card. If there are and you want to try them, I recommend making a Timeshift snapshot before making any graphics drivers changes. That way if it does not work out the way you like, you can easily revert back to what you had.
LM20.1 Cinnamon
Termy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Termy »

TKO wrote:
It could be an issue with AMD cards using that specific kernel, but I'd say it's far more likely to be down to you being on the opensource driver. Strange that no alternative drivers were listed in that screenshot you showed us. :?
SMG wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:47 pm
I do not know if there are proprietary drivers available for your graphics card.
Ah, nailed it. It hadn't occurred to me that there simply may not be one available for that card/unit. :(
TKO wrote:
The proprietary drivers are the officials ones straight from the horse's mouth, as it were. Whereas the opensource ones, while amazing, are very limited when dealing with graphic-heavy stuff like games. So yeah, the proprietary drivers do typically offer the best performance.

Are there downsides? Depends. For me, using the nVidia proprietary driver, there are a couple, such as screen-tearing outside of games. Proprietary drivers are typically closedsource, meaning you have no idea what they're doing, because they hide the code in a veil of secrecy; where you stand on that determines more than anything whether that's a game-changer or not. As with any driver in any operating system though, something might not work as intended.
Last edited by Termy on Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I use Linux Mint 18.3 with Cinnamon in a VirtualBox VM for testing & sandboxing.

SMG
Level 11
Level 11

Post by SMG »

Termy wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:19 pm
It could be an issue with AMD cards using that specific kernel, but I'd say it's far more likely to be down to you being on the opensource driver. Strange that no alternative drivers were listed in that screenshot you showed us. :?
Most AMD drivers are opensource (created by AMD) and they are provided in the kernel (which is not the case for Nvidia).

AMD drivers are not available through Driver Manager. Some versions of AMD cards do have proprietary drivers available, but they must be downloaded from AMD's support website.
LM20.1 Cinnamon
Termy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Termy »

SMG wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:25 pm
Most AMD drivers are opensource (created by AMD) and they are provided in the kernel (which is not the case for Nvidia).

AMD drivers are not available through Driver Manager. Some versions of AMD cards do have proprietary drivers available, but they must be downloaded from AMD's support website.
Neoveau (the opensource nVidia GPU driver) is included in the kernel, actually. I know this because I recently tore it out when I recompiled it. :lol: Naturally, with the kernel being so modular, it depends on which kernel you're using and how it was compiled. For example, 'generic' kernels offer drivers for every device under the sun -- literally thousands of drivers and features for devices you'll never use.

Unless I mis-read your post and you were actually saying that nVidia don't write opensource drivers for use in the kernel. I actually had no idea AMD were writing opensource drivers; way to go, AMD! Hats off to them.
SMG wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:25 pm
That's a real shame, but at least it means the OP can go to the AMD site and install it that way.

SMG
Level 11
Level 11

Post by SMG »

Termy wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:30 pm
Unless I mis-read your post and you were actually saying that nVidia don't write opensource drivers for use in the kernel. I actually had no idea AMD were writing opensource drivers; way to go, AMD! Hats off to them.
Nvidia is not at all involved in creating or maintaining the nouveau driver. Nvidia does create and Ubuntu repackages (for use through Driver Manager) the Nvidia drivers you see in Driver Manager.

AMD does create the amdgpu opensource driver which is in the kernel. AMD also creates the amdgpu-pro driver which is not in the kernel and only available from the AMD website. There is not a pro driver available for all AMD cards; it only applies to some cards.

AMD also periodically updates the amdgpu opensource driver and makes it available on the website for those who may need something newer than what it is in the kernel. But just like the pro drivers, that is not available for all cards. AMD does not support all cards with updates forever.
LM20.1 Cinnamon
TKO
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TKO »

Thank you all for your help. The game performance has improved and I do think it's sufficient enough for testing purposes. If there's any other issues, I'll go ahead and make a new topic after researching more about drivers (open source/proprietary). Solved.

Return to “Newbie Questions”