Nothing clickable/mouse "hang" (software freeze)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
ghostgrrl
Level 2
Level 2

Nothing clickable/mouse "hang" (software freeze)

Post by ghostgrrl »

New issue just started for me in Linux Mint 7: After using the computer for a bit (time period varies), all of a sudden when I move the mouse, it starts highlighting everything on the screen, scrolling up and down, but nothing is clickable. The mouse pointer moves around the page, etc., but I cannot open or close any windows, cannot go back or forward in a browser, nothing. Only solution is to ctrl-alt-backspace and start again.

Running Linux Mint 7 on an Acer Aspire 5610z, 160GB HDD, 1GB DDR2, 802.11b/g wireless LAN (though this issue happens online and off), and use an external Logitech wireless mouse. When this issue has occurred, I also tried using the touchpad to see if it's just the wireless mouse having problems/low battery or signal, but the touchpad behaves in the same manner. Again, restart is the only solution.

FYI: Laptop came with Windows Vista Home Premium installed, so the hardware is built for Windows. Mostly seems to work okay (next laptop will be built for Linux). I had wanted dual-boot but Windows got wiped during install so I went with Linux-dedicated system instead.

This issue has occurred no less than three (3) times this morning in the last half hour. Getting pretty annoying! Would appreciate any help. Thanks!

Edit: Tonight I was viewing a webpage, not touching the mouse or any part of the computer, when all of a sudden a large portion of the text was selected and the page began scrolling. I have *no* idea why that happened, since I wasn't touching anything at the time (delayed reaction??). Again, the only solution was Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to restart.
Last edited by ghostgrrl on Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Nothing clickable/mouse "hang"

Post by Husse »

I recognize this behavior from Win XP long ago
I have to research to see if I can find an answer for you
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Nothing clickable/mouse "hang"

Post by Husse »

When I noticed this "long ago" it was not on a laptop but you have a laptop
I wonder if the touchpad is beginning to be worn out, but this is a fairly new laptop I believe
I can find lots about this but nothing that looks like a solution though
When the computer boots press e at the grub screen so you can edit
Highlight (with the arrows keys) the line that boots your system and add irqpoll and acpi=off at the end
Continue booting and see if it helps - it might help
ghostgrrl
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Nothing clickable/mouse "hang" (software freeze)

Post by ghostgrrl »

Husse wrote:When I noticed this "long ago" it was not on a laptop but you have a laptop
I wonder if the touchpad is beginning to be worn out, but this is a fairly new laptop I believe
I highly doubt the touchpad is wearing out, since I almost never use it (thus the reference to my external mouse). Also, the problem does not seem related to the mouse action, whether touchpad or external, since the pointer moves around the screen but the software (browser, etc.) are not responsive.
I can find lots about this but nothing that looks like a solution though
When the computer boots press e at the grub screen so you can edit
Highlight (with the arrows keys) the line that boots your system and add irqpoll and acpi=off at the end
Continue booting and see if it helps - it might help
So something in the boot might have to do with the hang/crash while using the computer?

I will try your suggestion, in case it helps.
Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Nothing clickable/mouse "hang" (software freeze)

Post by Husse »

So something in the boot might have to do with the hang/crash while using the computer?
Very much so :)
The suggestions I made are known to help in cases like this

Return to “Newbie Questions”