ARM based mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PRO59J

ARM based mint

Post by PRO59J »

Will mint be doing an arm based version of mint anytime in the coming years.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Re: ARM based mint

Post by antikythera »

Probably around the time folk start searching the forum before asking a question that's been posted a number of times already :D

There's clearly an interest though but it it's not quite that cut and dried. ARM devices come in different sub-architectures, it's not like they can all be supported by a single boot image. Take a look at manjaro's download page and you will see there's quite a long list of different ARM device community maintained images to choose from. So whoever maintained the ARM variant would need to be able to test it at least.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Only likely if ARM takes over a significant share of the market. I don't see it happening any time soon.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I doubt Mint has the resources if they can't even manage to support KDE. Many users seem to assume that Mint is big like Debian or Ubuntu based on Distrowatch hit numbers but it itsn't.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Rootbeer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rootbeer »

Lenovo takes on M1-powered MacBooks with its own ARM-based IdeaPad 5G :
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing ... -ces-2021/
Hanro50
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Hanro50 »

Arm is non standard and the Linux based drivers that exist for some chips are often not even open-source or updated to work with newer versions of the Linux kernel then what they supported at release.

I believe this is mostly due to the fragmentation caused by the amount of companies that manufacture ARM based chips. A standard set of universal drivers would likely need to be developed and adopted for there to be the same one iso solution we get with x86.

A solution we only get because there's only two companies that arguably manufacture x86 CPUs.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

jimallyn wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:45 am Only likely if ARM takes over a significant share of the market. I don't see it happening any time soon.
Actually I think it's if Mint gets bigger, not ARM. ARM is plenty big now. But it's not going to happen in the foreseeable future as far as I can tell.

If you really want ARM support go for Ubuntu or a Debian based distro..MX has a rather nice looking v ersion for RasbPi if that's what you're looking for.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

Cinnamon 21.3 Thinkcentre M920q + 2 Thinkpad T440p (modded) + Lenovo Y50-70 (all have VBs) + 2 PC NAS drives w XFCE21.2 + Q4OS-32bit on ASUS Atom (2011) + Asus UX305F-64bit+ 10yo Lenovo NAS for backup

Return to “Beginner Questions”