[SOLVED] Deleted files don't show up in Trash can as expected...

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
ThaCrip
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Deleted files don't show up in Trash can as expected...

Post by ThaCrip »

When I select a file(or folder etc) and press the 'delete' key on the keyboard normally that file goes to the trash can and I can simply right click the trash can and select 'empty trash' and that's that. this is normally expected behavior. but I am not seeing this currently on two out of the four of my total HDD's (which I am pretty sure was working on my last reboot but my current uptime is about 26 hours now)...

-SSD (boot drive) = works as expected.
-2TB HDD = deleted files do not show in the trash can and I have to right click and select 'show hidden files' at which point I can see the ".trash-1000" folder in root of hard drive and once I delete the stuff inside there, the files are truly deleted. but I should not have to do this as it should be in trash can like normal.
-4TB HDD = works as expected.
-5TB HDD = deleted files do not show in the trash can and I have to right click and select 'show hidden files' at which point I can see the ".trash-1000" folder in root of hard drive and once I delete the stuff inside there, the files are truly deleted. but I should not have to do this as it should be in trash can like normal.

NOTE: all of the above are EXT4 if that matters.

NOTE: I am running Mint v20.1-Cinnamon which I recently clean installed (as in everything on SSD was deleted first). I was running Mint v19.x series (Mint v19.3-Cinnamon) and it did not have this problem at all.

any suggestions on how to fix this? ; or have I found a possible bug in Mint v20.1?

for whatever it's worth I mounted the 2TB/4TB/5TB hard drives with fstab using UUID etc. but I had this exact setup on Mint v19.3-Cinnamon and that worked without any issues whatsoever. so I can't imagine this is a issue but I thought I would mention it just in case. here is basically what I added to bottom of the fstab file...

UUID=***** /media/2TB ext4 defaults,nofail,noatime 0 0
UUID=***** /media/4TB ext4 defaults,nofail,noatime 0 0
UUID=***** /media/5TB ext4 defaults,nofail,noatime 0 0

where the "*****" are where the actual long letters/numbers sequence goes.
Last edited by ThaCrip on Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
PrimaryPC: i5-3550 CPU (@ -0.130v (runs 13c cooler @ full load) with stock i3-2120 heatsink) | Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB GPU | 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Mint v20.1-Cinnamon.
ThaCrip
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Deleted files don't show up in Trash can as expected...

Post by ThaCrip »

UPDATE: I am pretty confident the issue described in the topic is SOLVED along with a some other issues I was having as I am currently 4 days and 5 hours+ of uptime and all still works (typically within a day or so issues would appear previously). but in short, switching to the 5.8 kernel (instead of using the default 5.4 LTS) fixed them, which I talk about below...

1)HDMI sound disappearing bug... I would say this one was the most annoying bug I had. typically when I boot up, everything is working as expected, but after sitting some odd hours after I am away from the computer and the come back to use it, when right clicking the sound icon > Output device, the HDMI option is completely gone from there (even though the other two remain (i.e. Speakers(my PC speaker sound output)/Digtal Output)) as I noticed when quickly running 'Display' and exiting it, the HDMI temporarily is shown again in the Sound icon but then some odd hours later it's gone again when using 5.4 kernel. but with 5.8 this issue seems to have totally disappeared, at least as of now at 4 days and 5 hours+ of system uptime.

2)Trash can bug (described in the topic)... I don't need to say much here since it's already described in the topic.

3)GPU accelerated video playback on SMPlayer paired with MPV... I got a two screen setup, a 1080p PC Monitor (DVI connection) and a 1080p TV (HDMI connection) and when playing back a x264 video file on the TV side when HDMI is active it's playing fine but say I pause the video temporarily and use mouse to go back to my main monitor side to do something fairly quick, then go back to the TV side (HDMI) and resume playback, there is about a 2-3 second lag before everything is back to perfect working order and it does this consistently on the 5.4 LTS kernel. but when using 5.8 kernel that issue is completely gone and everything works perfectly. NOTE: when using software only mode for video playback on those same x264 video files, so it's only using the CPU (so no GPU assist), 5.4 LTS and 5.8 kernels both work perfectly (also, I should note I am pretty sure when using the 'Speakers' output for sound when doing that same test, there is no 2-3 second lag on 5.4 LTS when using GPU accelerated video playback). NOTE: I am using the NVIDIA driver v460.32.03 on my 1050 Ti 4GB GPU.

p.s. on a side note... Xfburn (a simple CD/DVD burning application (i.e. 'sudo apt install xfburn')) works better in Mint v19.x series than with Mint v20.x as in Mint v19.x it just works as expected unlike Mint v20.x where one has to do something to get it to erase a disc or burn a disc. there is a simple work around to get it working on Mint v20.x as without getting into the details, the gist of things is one needs to click the 'refresh' icon (the small square one with the circle with a arrow on it) before proceeding to burn your ISO or data etc and it will work. because without doing that it will error and simply won't start your burning process (or even erasing a CD-RW or DVD+RW) as clicking that 'refresh' icon seems to activate the burner or something and at this point things will function/burn as expected. seems to do that when erasing CD-RW or DVD+RW to as if you get that popup asking to erase your CD-RW or DVD+RW, select 'no' (if you select 'yes' it will keep having popups asking that which we don't want) and manually erase it first before writing data to the drive by clicking 'Action > Blank CD-RW' (or the like) and from that menu that pops up you can click the 'refresh' and then erasing it will work without issue.
PrimaryPC: i5-3550 CPU (@ -0.130v (runs 13c cooler @ full load) with stock i3-2120 heatsink) | Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB GPU | 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Mint v20.1-Cinnamon.

Return to “Newbie Questions”