Nemo. What is the expected behaviour of the umount-button

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MenthaSuaveolens
Level 3
Level 3

Nemo. What is the expected behaviour of the umount-button

Post by MenthaSuaveolens »

If one plugs an usb-drive in, then the drive is automatically listed up on the left in Nemo. Image
If I press this button, in all cases the usb-drive gets unmounted and a notification pops up that the drive can safely removed
I notice that in all the cases the power on the usb-drive isn't switched off
In other cases the drive is unmounted but still visible as a device that can be mounted (but there is notification that the drive can be safely removed). Then you have an option to safely remove the device. in that case a notification pops up and the power is switched off.
What is the difference between the 2 cases? I'll guess that if you get a notification that the device can be safely removed, that at that instance the power is switched off too.

Another remarkable issue is the fact that firewall blocks a message whenever an usb-device is plugged out

Code: Select all

[UFW BLOCK] IN=eno1 OUT= MAC=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx SRC=192.168.1.1 DST=224.0.0.1 LEN=32 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=1 ID=0 DF PROTO=2 
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Henry2000
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Nemo. What is the expected behaviour of the umount-button

Post by Henry2000 »

The first option where the drive still has power is probably just a umount. And the second option is probably something similar what I always do when removing a usb hdd/sdd

When I remove a usb drive (hdd/sdd), I use :
sudo eject /dev/sdx
and then
sudo udisksctl power-off -b /dev/sdx
( where obviously "/dev/sdx" is the devicename of your usb stick/drive, is my case it is mostly /dev/sdd)

This is perhaps a bit too cautious. But I had occurrences in the past, that made me follow this behaviour.
"Another remarkable issue is the fact that firewall blocks a message whenever an usb-device is plugged out"
That has nothing to do with you plugging out the disk. The traffic you see is multicast traffic from your router, that is being blocked by your firewall. It's probably some discovery service on your router, and you will see plenty of those records in your " /var/log/ufw.log " file.

Return to “Beginner Questions”