My Mint 20.1 Cinnamon keeps crashing

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

My Mint 20.1 Cinnamon keeps crashing

Post by pepperminty »

What's causing Cinnamon to crash? I'm on Cinnamon 20.1. I don't recall Cinnamon crashing when I was on Cinnamon 20.0. Now that I'm on Cinnamon 20.1, it seems to crash every half hour.

If it's an applet I installed, how can I tell which applet is the culprit? If it's Cinnamon itself, how can I fix Cinnamon 20.1?
Attachments
Cinnamon just crashed.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: My Cinnamon 20.1 keeps crashing

Post by SMG »

If the problem was actually Cinnamon, then everyone who installed it would have crashing issues. That does not seem to be the case.

If there is no information in the System Reports app about the crashes you are seeing then maybe there is information in /home/.xsession-errors as to what might be causing your crashes.

If there is nothing in that file which helps you, then I would suggest rolling back to the snapshot you took prior to the upgrade.

If you make a second attempt at upgrading, one part of the upgrade that seemed to cause a little confusion and did cause problems afterwards for people was the last line in section 3 of How to upgrade to Linux Mint 20.1 which states, "If asked whether to keep or replace configuration files, choose to replace them." There are several instances in the upgrade which require saying yes to replacing configuration files.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pepperminty »

There's nothing in the "System Reports" section. But there's a lot in the Crash Reports section. The crash report for /usr/bin/cinnamon/ is at https://termbin.com/m3bi.
The earlier cinnamon crash report is at https://termbin.com/g1u4
The crash report for the latest xreader-thumbnailer is at https://termbin.com/p818.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2021-01-23 12-38-07.png
Screenshot from 2021-01-23 12-35-15.png
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Two of the ones you posted reference:
-- Command Line: xreader-thumbnailer -s 256
-- Executable: /usr/bin/xreader-thumbnailer
and appear to be icons for two e-books I presume you are reading.

I am not that familiar with the xreader-thumbnailer program, but I see it is installed on my computer and dated for 12 Jan 2021 which is probably the first boot after I upgraded to LM20.1. Looking back at my updates in Update Manager, I see the Ulyssa version of xreader, xreader-dbg, and xreader-common were changed from 2.8.2 to 2.8.3 later that same day (as were some other files with xreader in their name).

So maybe check to see if you have Document Viewer/Xreader version 2.8.3 installed. I do recall there being updates after I upgraded to LM20.1, so maybe there are some updates your system still needs?

Cinnamon --replace is the command which happens during normal start-up to replace the gnome desktop with Cinnamon. I do not yet have the skills to be able to read much more than that in the crash info. The Cinnamon version I currently have is 4.8.6 and muffin is 4.8.1.
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pepperminty »

In the xreader crash report, the "command line" refers to Adobe Digital Editions. That is a program I'm familiar with; ADE is a program I run through Wine (through Lutris). I didn't realize that ADE somehow calls xreader-thumbnailer for help.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

xreader is "Document Viewer" in Mint. So maybe ADE is passing the text to Document Viewer which is creating the thumbnail icon on your desktop once you start reading so you can quickly access the e-book. Just a guess on my part.
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pepperminty »

Hmmm... I guess that's what the crash report is saying. But in my experience, when I use ADE, it doesn't seem to call on xreader (Document Viewer), at least not in my eyes. Anyway, if this is the culprit, I guess there's nothing I can do. If Cinnamon keeps crashing while ADE is running, I guess I'll just tolerate the crashes.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

LM20.0 is still supported, so if it was not crashing with it, you could roll back to LM20.0.

I found this thread Wine 6.0 update availability where kc1di mentions in this post a problem with a particular program after moving to LM20.1 which was remedied by upgrading to the newer version of Wine. Maybe that is an option to consider. (As with any change of this type, I recommend taking a Timeshift snapshot prior to making changes to facilitate an undo if you do not like the change.)
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pepperminty »

I just booted up my computer and Cinnamon crashed a minute after logging in, without running any Wine/Windows programs.

https://termbin.com/4dmb
(No mention of xreader or ADE in this latest crash report.)
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

pepperminty wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:26 pm I just booted up my computer and Cinnamon crashed a minute after logging in, without running any Wine/Windows programs.

https://termbin.com/4dmb
(No mention of xreader or ADE in this latest crash report.)
That is the same one you had earlier.
SMG wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:18 pmCinnamon --replace is the command which happens during normal start-up to replace the gnome desktop with Cinnamon. I do not yet have the skills to be able to read much more than that in the crash info. The Cinnamon version I currently have is 4.8.6 and muffin is 4.8.1.
What is the output of inxi -Sxxx?
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Re: My Mint 20.1 Cinnamon keeps crashing

Post by pepperminty »

~$ inxi -Sxxx
System:
Host: lap Kernel: 5.4.0-64-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0
Desktop: Cinnamon 4.8.6 wm: muffin 4.8.1 dm: LightDM 1.30.0
Distro: Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Maybe cat .xsession-errors | grep -i "Cinnamon" might give us some messages which would help.
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pepperminty »

SMG wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:52 pm Maybe cat .xsession-errors | grep -i "Cinnamon" might give us some messages which would help.
https://pastebin.com/cNJNFqtJ
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Cinnamon started at 25 seconds before the crash you listed in the prior post. There is one error message in the file contents on pastebin and it was just before the crash. Then Cinnamon restarted.

The error is:

Code: Select all

(cinnamon:1358): Cjs-ERROR **: 12:19:14.416: toggling down object GInotifyFileMonitor that's already queued to toggle up
I do not know what GInotifyFileMonitor is, so hopefully you or someone else reading this might know.

There were a number of warnings which happened prior to it and then repeated after Cinnamon restarted. I do not know if sometimes the crash is caused by something specific or a cumulation of items which just overwhelm Cinnamon, but since I sifted through all of it, I figured I'd mention what I found.

I only saw this message once and I do not have this message in my file. Although I have the Redshift app on my install, I do not have it activated, so given the later warning messages, perhaps you swapped out the standard Redshift which comes in Cinnamon for a different Redshift app.

Code: Select all

cinnamon-session[1054]: WARNING: t+4.11731s: Failed to start app: Unable to start application: Failed to execute child process “redshift-gtk” (No such file or directory)
There were quite a few chunks of Warning message code that seem to indicate you have versions of apps which may not be following the latest, most up-to-date Cinnamon code. Two chunks reference QRedshift. Then four chunks reference something called MyApplet. Then two more chunks of something which might be related to the QRedshift or MyApplet. (I'm not sure.) Then two chunks about something which indicates network monitor status.

Then a warning about Could not load a pixbuf from icon theme. and then the error message I mentioned above which I presume precipitated the crash.

After Cinnamon restarts, all the warning messages I listed above (except for the one about Redshift) repeat. The error message does not.

Then there are a lot of warning messages about Error creating thumbnail for file and the specific name of the ADE epub book. I did not notice any repeat names, so it probably just one message for each book you have. The warnings list Unrecognized image file format as the issue. :? And apparently when you are done reading and put the book in trash there is an warning about Error creating the thumbnail in trash. :shock:

The ADE ones were all warning messages even though some list "error" in the description. I do not know what might have been different about the ADE ones which resulted in crashes you posted earlier in the thread.
vitiasr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vitiasr »

My Cinnamon keeps crashing pretty often too, due to the same issue. Seems like it stems from upstream GNOME (see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1882410 and https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gjs/-/issues/297).
Alas, no solution has been found yet.
Herr R aus B
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Herr R aus B »

I can confirm the same intermittant behaviour after running a freshly installed Mint 20 Cinnamon.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Herr R aus B wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:50 pm I can confirm the same intermittant behaviour after running a freshly installed Mint 20 Cinnamon.
If you are using Mint 20, then you are not using the same version as the original poster in this thread. Additionally, this thread is nearly six months old so other files may have been updated since then. Please create a new topic for your issue and make sure to include the data described in Section 5 of READ: How To Get Help! in your first post in that topic.

Return to “Beginner Questions”