Movie editing software, what to use?!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Movie editing software, what to use?!

Post by richyrich »

Try openmovieeditor ,it's available for install through Synaptic Package Manager . . . :)
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

cheers for the openmovieeditor advise, will try out also tonight
:wink:
Sony i3 - VPCEB13FG SSD 4GB laptop ~ MX-Linux & Plasma - LMDE4 - Kubuntu 20.04 - Win 10 LTSC De-bloated
Image Image
richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

Another one that I just stumbled across . . you have to download 2 deb files (for your version), then right-click the smile-data first, choose Open with GDebi, login, let it download/install any dependencies, close when finished. Do the same for the smile file . . . enjoy ! :)

removed/app/Smile
dudester
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dudester »

i've heard of folks raving about kdenlive. i've tried to use it and had mixed results. the biggest problem i've had is getting it to play nice with my 1.3 megapixel webcam. but i have used it to mix/edit existing avi's. give it a shot and let us know your opinion. hope this helps.
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

Ok, downloaded openmovieeditor installed it and basically had to call NASA to use it, couldnt work out how to play the imported files let alone even get it to play the movies, uninstalled it today, will try other suggestions, but cheers to the OP for advising openmovieeditor.
Sony i3 - VPCEB13FG SSD 4GB laptop ~ MX-Linux & Plasma - LMDE4 - Kubuntu 20.04 - Win 10 LTSC De-bloated
Image Image
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

dudester wrote:i've heard of folks raving about kdenlive. i've tried to use it and had mixed results. the biggest problem i've had is getting it to play nice with my 1.3 megapixel webcam. but i have used it to mix/edit existing avi's. give it a shot and let us know your opinion. hope this helps.

cheers for the reply regarding kdenlive, installed it, actually played the movie clips, but constantly crashed on me, uninstalled it.

cheers for the post.

looks like i have to rely on the MS version of movie editors. oh well thank Christ for VM :)

cheers all
Image Image
rich_roast
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rich_roast »

For ease of use PiTiVi is pretty much drag and drop and has pretty good support for a variety of formats, including mp4. Not the most mature editor in the world, though.
dudester
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dudester »

well, lets hope that kdenlive matures into a more usable program. its one to watch.
optimize me
Level 5
Level 5

Post by optimize me »

avidemux is a fairly mature staple in the video editing world. it does what it says it does and it does it fairly well.

openshot is the name of a fairly new kid on the block, and looks pretty promising. they have a ppa and repos you can add. it looks like they put a lot of effort into it, and it will probably one day go from new kid on the block to king of the hill.
AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.8GHz 8GB DDR3 RAM ATI Radeon HD6970

Return to “Newbie Questions”