[solved] Creating different user profiles? Any advice?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
ozzy24
Level 2
Level 2

[solved] Creating different user profiles? Any advice?

Post by ozzy24 »

So, I need to be able to create different user profiles something along the lines of a limited user account & an administrator account. You know, kinda like windows? Essentially it's a login screen with 2 users one limited and the other not.
Last edited by ozzy24 on Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Creating different user profiles? Any advice?

Post by richyrich »

You haven't told us what version of Mint you are using, but n Mint 7 Xfce, when I open the Users & Groups Manager, unlock, and click Add new user, I have the choice of profiles :
  • Administrator
    Unprivileged
    Desktop User
Wouldn't that work for you ?
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Creating different user profiles? Any advice?

Post by DrHu »

ozzy24 wrote:So, I need to be able to create different user profiles something along the lines of a limited user account & an administrator account.
Unprivileged user (Linux, Ubuntu) and limited account/user (windows) are similar: no access to administrator (admin) functions

The first user created is an admin member, having access to sudo or administrator functions within the OS
The second user is not a member of the admin group, and will not have access to administrator functions, including sudo (get root privilege)

Simplest method, as you are the administrator (admin group member)
mint menu>control center>System>User and Groups
--take out the user membership in the admin group
  • [x]Unlock
    Manage groups
    --check Admin group, [ ]unmark, if marked the user you don't want included as a member
You can also as a quick check
In the terminal
  • groups
--check that users group membership, if admin appears, they have administrator functions available to them, and could execute sudo commands
ozzy24
Level 2
Level 2

Creating different user profiles? Any advice?

Post by ozzy24 »

Thanks......

Return to “Newbie Questions”