Kxdocker

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Enialis
Level 1
Level 1

Kxdocker

Post by Enialis »

Hey guys, first time posting on the forum, and also my first time ever using a linux distro so I'm, needless to say, a little 'green' on how everything works. I read through the linux mint user guide but its not helping me in this case.

I tried installing Kxdocker through the terminal, every time it tells me that it can't find the package (aptitute, apt, apt-get) ran a terminal search for all packages matching 'dock' and kxdocker didn't even come up so im stuck with downloading it from the web, unfortunately I'm very unfamiliar, almost clueless, on how to install things inside of a linux distro so if anyone good give me a walk-through or a link to a guide, it would be VERY appreciated, so far my own Google searches haven't helped at all. (Apologies if this was already discussed here on the forums and I missed it)

~Enialis~
Enialis
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Kxdocker

Post by Enialis »

daily bump lol
dequire
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dequire »

Hello and welcome to Mint.

After Googling "kxdocker", it seems the project was discontinued some time ago. It was available in the Ubuntu repos, but not for a while now (since the Hardy release I believe).

The link is here.

The new project, from the same author, is here.

I did not download it in order to see how you would install it - however it is listed as "Alpha" software so it might be buggy.

Good luck.
They'll all look at me and say,
Hey look at him! I'll never live that way.
But that's okay -
They're just afraid to change.
- Shannon Hoon

The Blue Mint
rippedcb
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rippedcb »

may i suggest using AWN (avant window navigator), Its also a dock like application.. very stable and easy to use. Thats what i use.
CB
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches.
~Alice Roosevelt Longworth ~

Return to “Newbie Questions”