What & Where is the CPU Governor?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
RedBeard VII
Level 1
Level 1

What & Where is the CPU Governor?

Post by RedBeard VII »

Hey all. I have a brand new install of Mint 7 Xfce. There is a panel widget which intrigues me, this CPU Governor. I've tried to put it in the panel, but it is invisible apparently. I run the CPU Monitor and a couple others, but this Governor is either broken or some kind of background process??? I'd like to see it, play around with it, maybe keep it, but I just can't figure this out...

-RedBeard VII

particulars: HP OmniBook, 14.1", 700 mhz, 384 mb, 6 Gb HD, Dual Win XP / Mint 7 Xfce,
lspci:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX Host bridge (rev 03)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX AGP bridge (rev 03)
00:07.0 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ISA (rev 02)
00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)
00:07.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB (rev 01)
00:07.3 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 03)
00:0a.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1420 PC card Cardbus Controller
00:0a.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1420 PC card Cardbus Controller
00:0b.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c556 Hurricane CardBus [Cyclone] (rev 10)
00:0b.1 Communication controller: 3Com Corporation Mini PCI 56k Winmodem (rev 10)
00:0d.0 Multimedia audio controller: ESS Technology ES1983S Maestro-3i PCI Audio Accelerator
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage Mobility P/M AGP 2x (rev 64)
My boss is a jewish carpenter.
richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Re: What & Where is the CPU Governor?

Post by richyrich »

Hi, I think you are out of luck . . :( . . as the cpu governor requires cpu's with AMD's PowerNow! or Intel's Pentium M series technology. You can check your BIOS to see if it is available . . but I don't think it showed up until the Pentium 4 (M)'s
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Re: What & Where is the CPU Governor?

Post by DrHu »

RedBeard VII wrote:Hey all. I have a brand new install of Mint 7 Xfce. There is a panel widget which intrigues me, this CPU Governor.
http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Document ... ernors.txt
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_ma ... cy_Scaling

Code: Select all

Using Frequency Scaling Governors
You can get a list of available governors with (as root):
    # cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors 
    conservative ondemand powersave userspace performance 

Note: If the governors are compiled as modules, load them first:
    # modprobe cpufreq_performance cpufreq_ondemand cpufreq_conservative cpufreq_powersave cpufreq_userspace 

Now we set our governor: What is our current governor?
    # cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor 
    userspace 
The CPU governor is part of the system of applications/utilities or files that enable CPU control: as in govern it via its frequency setting (which relates to the power, higher speed/frequency = higher power consumed)

Ubuntu freq scaling (governor)..
http://embraceubuntu.com/2005/11/04/ena ... y-scaling/
Of course using the GUI applications obviates (usually) the need to mess around with frequency governor set-ups or settings..

Return to “Newbie Questions”