Does anyone know why this happens ?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
scottjge
Level 4
Level 4

Does anyone know why this happens ?

Post by scottjge »

Every time I click on a URL in Thunderbird, this is what I get.
It happens with any email that I get. It has to be in the configuration of Thunderbird but I can not locate the problem. Any idea's or hints would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Glenn
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Does anyone know why this happens ?

Post by lagagnon »

Because you are trying to view a Windows-only DLL file (dynamic linked library), a binary file you cannot even view in Windows, let alone Linux.
Do you get the same effect with normal attachments such as .jpg, .doc .pdf etc? I hope not.
scottjge
Level 4
Level 4

Post by scottjge »

I haven't received any pictures as of yet so I can not answer that question. I don't know why this is started to happen. It just started a couple of days ago. I guess it doesn't really matter that much because I can just copy and past the URL instead of clicking on it. I will figure it out sooner or later I guess. The thing that counts right now is that I am totally free of windows as of today. I have made the complete switch over and am now reading all that I can about linux. Ya, I am an old DOS man so I have a lot of relearning to do.

Thanks for the input, and if and when I find what is causing the problem I will be sure to post so that if it happens to anyone else they will have a little extra information.

Thanks again,
Glenn
dequire
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dequire »

Welcome to the Mint community! And enjoy the journey to a Windows-free life. 8)
They'll all look at me and say,
Hey look at him! I'll never live that way.
But that's okay -
They're just afraid to change.
- Shannon Hoon

The Blue Mint
scottjge
Level 4
Level 4

Post by scottjge »

Thanks, I am already enjoying the trip ! No more crashes, no more viruses, no more pain and suffering, and my computer is set up the way that I like it. Freedom is divine ! Now if I could find a book like DOS used to put out with all the command lines and configuration examples, but for Linux, I would be right in seven heaven.
w8wca
Level 1
Level 1

Post by w8wca »

It seems like it may be a mouse behavior problem.
What happens if you right click the URL and select Open in new tab?
cheers charlie - w8wca
Toshiba Qosmio i4700 32G RAM 500G SSD & 500G HD
Windows 8.1 and Mint Mate 17
RedWagon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by RedWagon »

I'd bet good money that that attachment is a scam. There is no good reason for a website to send you a .dll; be glad you're running Linux, otherwise that thing would have ran and would probably be on your computer now.
scottjge
Level 4
Level 4

Post by scottjge »

I don't know what it was for sure, I had to re-install Fire fox today. It crashed and wouldn't connect to the Internet even though it showed a connection to the Internet. So I re-installed Fire fox and everything works fine now.
SxFlare
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SxFlare »

moral of the story is to never open/download attachments (or URLs) if you don't know what it is, even if you're in linux really.
scottjge
Level 4
Level 4

Post by scottjge »

I haven't downloaded anything. It was a URl the was in the email from ebay for a product that I had for sale. It wasn't a scam, nor a virus or trojan. I kept the email and tried it again after I re-installed firefox and it worked great so there had to be something wrong with the original firefox installation.

Return to “Newbie Questions”