Avant Window Navigator and AWN Manager

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Video Guy
Level 1
Level 1

Avant Window Navigator and AWN Manager

Post by Video Guy »

I'm trying to install the Avant Window Navigator and I have a problem. I install AVN and AVN Manager from Synaptic and both apps were install in applications. The Manager runs but the Navigator gives this Warning: Screen isn't composited. Please run compiz (-fusion) or another compositing manager. Now, what do I change in Compiz to make AWN run? (Dual monitors being used 19 inch)
Video Guy

'Box Specs'
Mint 7 (Gloria)
ASUS P4 2.8 Processor
3 gig ram
Graphics Card: Pro AGP Radeon HD 3650
pluraldave
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Avant Window Navigator and AWN Manager

Post by pluraldave »

Probably nothing. Compiz usually runs by default once you have installed graphics drivers capable of running it.

Have you installed any graphics drivers since you installed mint?

Open a terminal and type

Code: Select all

lspci
post the result here so we can see what graphics card you have.
Video Guy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Video Guy »

No, I have not installed any new graphic drivers. AWN did run after 2 reboots but the system ran very slow. I turned Gnome composting off and reverted back to the standard with panels at the top and bottom. Upon reboot the bottom panel moves to the top and when I try to move to the bottom it keeps moving back to the top. Strange.. It's at the bottom now because I set orientation to the left and then dragged it to the bottom. When I reboot it moves back to the top. Any way here the Graphics Card info: ATI Technologies Inc RV635 PRO AGP [Radeon HD 3650]
Video Guy

'Box Specs'
Mint 7 (Gloria)
ASUS P4 2.8 Processor
3 gig ram
Graphics Card: Pro AGP Radeon HD 3650
pluraldave
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pluraldave »

Find "hardware drivers" in your menu and see if there are any available updates for your graphics card. I'm not sure which side of the supported/unsupported line yours falls.

As for the panel misbehaving I don't know what's happening there.

Return to “Newbie Questions”