19.1 won't load past linux mint icon

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
grump12
Level 1
Level 1

19.1 won't load past linux mint icon

Post by grump12 »

I have 19.1 cinnamon. My computer froze up during websurfing and now I can't get linux to boot anymore. The thing goes past the mint logo and then sticks on a black screen with a blinking cursor at the top. Occassionally it will spew out messages if I pound the keyboard in just the right way but otherwise it stays on the blinking cursor and the hd seems like its trying to load something.

Its a dual machineand windows 10 boots just fine. recovery mode linux (EDIT goes to recovery menu fine EDIT) and linux usb boots fine. I've tried to run fsck on the linux partition and it just immediately finishes and gives a message about the partition being clean. I ran boot repair and it didn't seem to do anything. I switch kernels and it does not help. What can I do next?
Last edited by grump12 on Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mikaelrask
Level 4
Level 4

Re: 19.1 won't load past linux mint icon

Post by mikaelrask »

hey and welcome to the forum disable secure boot in bios and fast boot in windows https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articl ... Windows-10. second linux can't read the file system in windows 10 so you have to log into windows use the disk manger shrink the disk so linux can use the free space for it to install.
CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz
Graphic Card: nvidia 2070 super
Ram 16 GB
Kernel: 5.4.0.65-generic
kubuntu 20.04

Laptop:
CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-245m
cinnamon 20.1
Kernel 5,4.0.65-generic
Ram 4 gb
SMG
Level 11
Level 11

Post by SMG »

mikaelrask wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:56 am
hey and welcome to the forum disable secure boot in bios and fast boot in windows https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articl ... Windows-10. second linux can't read the file system in windows 10 so you have to log into windows use the disk manger shrink the disk so linux can use the free space for it to install.
You gave instructions for installing Mint. Mint is already installed on the computer. :?
grump12 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:37 am
recovery mode linux and linux usb boots fine.
Please boot into one of these and give us information about your install by entering this command in a terminal: inxi -Fxxxrz
Click </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply and then place your cursor between the code markers and paste the results of the command between the code markers [code]Results[/code]. This will let us know how Mint sees your hardware. This sounds like it might be related to a graphics driver issue.
LM20.1 Cinnamon
grump12
Level 1
Level 1

Post by grump12 »

SMG wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:01 pm
mikaelrask wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:56 am
You gave instructions for installing Mint. Mint is already installed on the computer. :?
grump12 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:37 am
recovery mode linux and linux usb boots fine.
Please boot into one of these and give us information about your install by entering this command in a terminal: inxi -Fxxxrz
Click </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply and then place your cursor between the code markers and paste the results of the command between the code markers [code]Results[/code]. This will let us know how Mint sees your hardware. This sounds like it might be related to a graphics driver issue.
Sorry I when I said recovery linux works fine. I meant I could make it to the recovery menu but continuing 'normal boot' afterward stalls it out as usual. USB linux boots fine but it gives me information for itself. So since I can't get past the recovery menu to highlight all the info with a mouse here is an image of the requested information.

SMG
Level 11
Level 11

Post by SMG »

If you look at the line which starts Graphics, you notice there is an N/A after the word driver. For some reason something happened to the Intel display driver. That driver normally comes from the kernel.

Please boot to a usb, run inxi -Gx and see if there is a driver. I'm not sure if this is a bad update or something else happened.

You mention the computer froze and then the problem happened after you rebooted. Had you downloaded updates that may have gone into effect when you rebooted?

If you press the Escape key while the system is booting, you will see the messages on the screen and hopefully they will give an idea of what the issue might be. This sounds like a graphics driver issue. If you have any Timeshift snapshots, you can use your usb to boot to a live session of Mint to use Timeshift and restore to a snapshot.

By the way, your system does not have the latest kernel. It appears you never updated the kernel since you installed LM19.1. The 4.15.0-136 is the most recent kernel.
LM20.1 Cinnamon
grump12
Level 1
Level 1

Post by grump12 »

Here is the info from the USB boot. If I ran this from recovery on the HD it might say some different things.

Code: Select all

Device-1: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics 
  vendor: CLEVO/KAPOK driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
  Device-2: NVIDIA GK104M [GeForce GTX 870M] vendor: CLEVO/KAPOK 
  driver: nouveau v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa 
  resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 4600 (HSW GT2) 
  v: 4.5 Mesa 20.0.8 direct render: Yes 
You mention the computer froze and then the problem happened after you rebooted. Had you downloaded updates that may have gone into effect when you rebooted?

I did the boot repair and package repair which installed some new stuff but this was after the error.
SMG
Level 11
Level 11

Post by SMG »

grump12 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:30 pm
If I ran this from recovery on the HD it might say some different things.
I do not understand this comment. You already posted what you got when you ran inxi from recovery and it does show different information. That is why I asked you to run it from the usb--I wanted to make sure it is not a hardware issue. This confirms it is not a hardware issue. There is something in the install which is causing the issue.
grump12 wrote:

I did the boot repair and package repair which installed some new stuff but this was after the error.
Some updates require rebooting the computer before they take effect. You can download and install them, but that does not activate the update. That is why I asked the question.
LM20.1 Cinnamon
grump12
Level 1
Level 1

Post by grump12 »

SMG wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:37 pm
grump12 wrote:
If I ran this from recovery on the HD it might say some different things.
I do not understand this comment. You already posted what you got when you ran inxi from recovery and it does show different information. That is why I asked you to run it from the usb--I wanted to make sure it is not a hardware issue. This confirms it is not a hardware issue. There is something in the install which is causing the issue.
grump12 wrote:

Some updates require rebooting the computer before they take effect. You can download and install them, but that does not activate the update. That is why I asked the question.
Okay so how should I proceed? I don't appear to have any timeshift points. Nothing happens when I hit escape at the blinking cursor. The main account on the linux partition I'm trying to access appears to be encrypted but when I try to decrypt it the message says its not setup properly.
SMG
Level 11
Level 11

Post by SMG »

grump12 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:08 pm
The main account on the linux partition I'm trying to access appears to be encrypted but when I try to decrypt it the message says its not setup properly.
I do not understand how an account can be encrypted. I am only aware of drives, directories, or individual files being encrypted. If the account is actually encrypted, you will have to wait for someone who understands that to be able to help.

At this point, the only advice I have is to make sure your data is backed up and do a reinstall. However, someone else may know more about the situation and might be able to help.
LM20.1 Cinnamon
grump12
Level 1
Level 1

Post by grump12 »

SMG wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:26 pm
grump12 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:08 pm
The main account on the linux partition I'm trying to access appears to be encrypted but when I try to decrypt it the message says its not setup properly.
I do not understand how an account can be encrypted. I am only aware of drives, directories, or individual files being encrypted. If the account is actually encrypted, you will have to wait for someone who understands that to be able to help.

At this point, the only advice I have is to make sure your data is backed up and do a reinstall. However, someone else may know more about the situation and might be able to help.
Here is the encryption message.

Can you point me to a link that will allow me to update/reinstall linux in this situation? IE when I can't use the update manager in the broken install itself. Will my files be erased?
Last edited by grump12 on Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SMG
Level 11
Level 11

Post by SMG »

grump12 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:31 pm
Can you point me to a link that will allow me to update/reinstall linux in this situation? Will my files be erased?
When one does a reinstall, usually all files are erased. The only way they may not be erased is if you have separate /home and root partitions and do a "something else" install. I can not tell from what you posted what type of install you have. The information only indicates you having one partition and that is a swap partition. It is possible that is because of the way you accessed the drive. Or maybe it is because the entire install is encrypted? I know very little about encryption.

If you use your usb to boot into a live session of Mint, normally you can access the files on the hard drive using the File Manager on the live session. In that way, you can back up any personal data you may have. I do not know how that works if you have the installation encrypted.

There are people on this forum who have experience with encryption and may be able to help you.
LM20.1 Cinnamon
grump12
Level 1
Level 1

Post by grump12 »

SMG wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:43 pm
grump12 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:31 pm
Can you point me to a link that will allow me to update/reinstall linux in this situation? Will my files be erased?
When one does a reinstall, usually all files are erased. The only way they may not be erased is if you have separate /home and root partitions and do a "something else" install. I can not tell from what you posted what type of install you have. The information only indicates you having one partition and that is a swap partition. It is possible that is because of the way you accessed the drive. Or maybe it is because the entire install is encrypted? I know very little about encryption.

If you use your usb to boot into a live session of Mint, normally you can access the files on the hard drive using the File Manager on the live session. In that way, you can back up any personal data you may have. I do not know how that works if you have the installation encrypted.

There are people on this forum who have experience with encryption and may be able to help you.
I'm hoping to avoid this drastic step if possible since among other things it would be a massive pain to move all my files. Is there another way to somehow repair the damaged files without doing a full reinstall? Here is a screenshot where I'm attempting to run fsck but it doesn't work for some reason.

SMG
Level 11
Level 11

Post by SMG »

grump12 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:55 pm
Here is a screenshot where I'm attempting to run fsck but it doesn't work for some reason.
It is not working for the reason printed on the screen. You can not run and fix the file system while the drive is mounted.

Boot from your usb and then your hard drive will not be mounted because you will be running Mint from the usb. You can then run fsck on the unmounted hard drive partition using Mint which is running on the usb.

Based on that graphic, it appears your Mint drive is very, very full. :shock: Were you getting warnings about your drive being full before this happened?
LM20.1 Cinnamon
grump12
Level 1
Level 1

Post by grump12 »

I did umount and run it as you can see on the terminal but it ended so quickly I'm not sure if it did anything. I also tried the Boot Repair Utility. Do you know if the 'Repair File Systems' option erases files?
SMG
Level 11
Level 11

Post by SMG »

Is your system encrypted or not? I thought one had to unencrypt to be able to run fsck.

I believe the "Repair File Systems" is the same as fsck, but I'm confused as to where you are running it from. You have posted both a screen shot of GParted and of a terminal.
LM20.1 Cinnamon
grump12
Level 1
Level 1

Post by grump12 »

SMG wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:38 pm
Is your system encrypted or not? I thought one had to unencrypt to be able to run fsck.

I believe the "Repair File Systems" is the same as fsck, but I'm confused as to where you are running it from. You have posted both a screen shot of GParted and of a terminal.
These are all screenshots while I'm running the usb linux. My main account/directory that I typically use when I'm on linux appears to be encrypted but I can still run fsck on the partition and have it finish like within 1 second.
SMG
Level 11
Level 11

Post by SMG »

You'll have to wait for someone else to help. I have no more ideas.
LM20.1 Cinnamon
grump12
Level 1
Level 1

Post by grump12 »

Hello I am still unable to get my computer to boot. I have found a way to access the files on the account in question but I still need suggestions on what to do.

Updates on behavior:

1. Hitting ctrl alt f1 at the black screen sometimes brings up the console login dialog for a split second but it immediately flashes off.

2. Hitting escape at the LM icon splash screen brings you to a black screen that can be changed back to the splash that changes to the typical black screen with white cursor after the splash screen is finished.

3. Loading another older kernel doesn't fix it.

4. Adding nomodeset xforcevesa or nomodeset grub_gfxmode=1280x1024x24 causes the black screen to eventually spit out these types of errors

mikaelrask
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mikaelrask »

hey smg opps i missed that, grump12 ignore the last part of my post, disable secure boot in bios just a precaution secure boot does not like chances to he hardware/software sometimes and it has vulnerabilities in it.
CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz
Graphic Card: nvidia 2070 super
Ram 16 GB
Kernel: 5.4.0.65-generic
kubuntu 20.04

Laptop:
CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-245m
cinnamon 20.1
Kernel 5,4.0.65-generic
Ram 4 gb
SMG
Level 11
Level 11

Post by SMG »

grump12 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:04 am
I have found a way to access the files on the account in question but I still need suggestions on what to do.
Does this mean you now have your personal data backed up?
grump12 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:04 am
4. Adding nomodeset xforcevesa or nomodeset grub_gfxmode=1280x1024x24 causes the black screen to eventually spit out these types of errors
These errors are related to Nvidia. According to this Nvidia Developer Zone: Xid Messages, "id messages indicate that a general GPU error occurred, most often due to the driver programming the GPU incorrectly or to corruption of the commands sent to the GPU. The messages can be indicative of a hardware problem, an NVIDIA software problem, or a user application problem. "

According to the page, Error 13 could be caused by driver error, user app error, system memory corruption, bus error, thermal issues, and FB corruption. Basically, everything on the list except hardware.

Were you using the Nvidia gpu when the original problem happened? That might be why when you rebooted that the Intel driver did not display (it was not activated). Your system does not have the latest kernel or the latest Nvidia driver for your card, so we're probably going to have to take guesses as to what may have happened.

Did you use Driver Manager to install the Nvidia driver? It's possible removing the driver and then getting your system files updated may clear this issue. However, your system has Optimus-style graphics (Intel/Nvidia switchable) and we would want to make sure the support files for that are not changed when doing driver changes.
LM20.1 Cinnamon

Return to “Newbie Questions”