19.1 won't load past linux mint icon

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
grump12
Level 1
Level 1

Re: 19.1 won't load past linux mint icon

Post by grump12 »

SMG wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:57 am
grump12 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:04 am
I have found a way to access the files on the account in question but I still need suggestions on what to do.
Does this mean you now have your personal data backed up?
grump12 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:04 am
4. Adding nomodeset xforcevesa or nomodeset grub_gfxmode=1280x1024x24 causes the black screen to eventually spit out these types of errors
These errors are related to Nvidia. According to this Nvidia Developer Zone: Xid Messages, "id messages indicate that a general GPU error occurred, most often due to the driver programming the GPU incorrectly or to corruption of the commands sent to the GPU. The messages can be indicative of a hardware problem, an NVIDIA software problem, or a user application problem. "

According to the page, Error 13 could be caused by driver error, user app error, system memory corruption, bus error, thermal issues, and FB corruption. Basically, everything on the list except hardware.

Were you using the Nvidia gpu when the original problem happened? That might be why when you rebooted that the Intel driver did not display (it was not activated). Your system does not have the latest kernel or the latest Nvidia driver for your card, so we're probably going to have to take guesses as to what may have happened.

Did you use Driver Manager to install the Nvidia driver? It's possible removing the driver and then getting your system files updated may clear this issue. However, your system has Optimus-style graphics (Intel/Nvidia switchable) and we would want to make sure the support files for that are not changed when doing driver changes.
The data is about more than hundred GB so I am going to have to look into buying a new drive and somehow transfer it over all through the live usb. And due to the weird way in which I've accessed the files viewtopic.php?t=315207 I'm not sure if I got everything.

In the meantime I'd like to see if there is away I can repair the driver files first. And/or access log, config files that may help. I have an nvidia card. I was using either the nvidia drivers or nouveau I don't remember which one exactly. Probably whatever is default for 19.1. This computer was upgraded from 17.3

Another message I could get to pop up while doing ctrl alt combos although it too seems unresponsive
SMG
Level 11
Level 11

Post by SMG »

grump12 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:31 pm
The data is about more than hundred GB so I am going to have to look into buying a new drive and somehow transfer it over all through the live usb. And due to the weird way in which I've accessed the files viewtopic.php?t=315207 I'm not sure if I got everything.
Glad you were able to find that.
grump12 wrote:
In the meantime I'd like to see if there is away I can repair the driver files first. And/or access log, config files that may help. I have an nvidia card. I was using either the nvidia drivers or nouveau I don't remember which one exactly. Probably whatever is default for 19.1. This computer was upgraded from 17.3
The data you posted earlier indicates you had the Nvidia driver installed. I believe there is a way to remove the Nvidia driver while in recovery mode. I will need to check, however, on how to handle the support files which may be set up right now to look for the nvidia modules. Would probably want to either remove and reinstall the nvidia driver or get the system switched to using Intel. I'm not sure if switching to Intel can be done in recovery mode, but maybe it can.
grump12 wrote:
Another message I could get to pop up while doing ctrl alt combos although it too seems unresponsive
I am not familiar with what this might be.
LM20.1 Cinnamon
SMG
Level 11
Level 11

Post by SMG »

Do you recall if you did or were able to switch between Nvidia/nouveau and Intel on your computer with the install that you had before the problem happened?

Normally, one can switch from Nvidia to Intel using the command sudo prime-select intel and then rebooting. If we can get the system to switch off the Nvidia and onto the Intel, then we could try to get the Nvidia driver install repaired. However, the inxi info showed Intel driver as N/A even when an Nvidia driver showed 390.116 and I'm not sure why.

Do you know if you were using bumblebee to switch between Nvidia and Intel? If you can run dpkg -l | grep -i nvidia you would see it in the list if it is installed. Or you might see nvidia-prime in the list. I'm not sure what version of the "switcher" you may have installed when you went to LM19.1.
LM20.1 Cinnamon
grump12
Level 1
Level 1

Post by grump12 »

SMG wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:33 pm
Do you recall if you did or were able to switch between Nvidia/nouveau and Intel on your computer with the install that you had before the problem happened?

Normally, one can switch from Nvidia to Intel using the command sudo prime-select intel and then rebooting. If we can get the system to switch off the Nvidia and onto the Intel, then we could try to get the Nvidia driver install repaired. However, the inxi info showed Intel driver as N/A even when an Nvidia driver showed 390.116 and I'm not sure why.

Do you know if you were using bumblebee to switch between Nvidia and Intel? If you can run dpkg -l | grep -i nvidia you would see it in the list if it is installed. Or you might see nvidia-prime in the list. I'm not sure what version of the "switcher" you may have installed when you went to LM19.1.
I definitely was able to switch back and forth between different nvidia drivers and nouveau back when I was using 17.3 before I upgraded to 19.1 because I had extensive issues back then. But this was when I was actually logged in through a gui switcher. I would like to know if this is possible through usb.
SMG
Level 11
Level 11

Post by SMG »

grump12 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:33 pm
I definitely was able to switch back and forth between different nvidia drivers and nouveau back when I was using 17.3 before I upgraded to 19.1 because I had extensive issues back then. But this was when I was actually logged in through a gui switcher. I would like to know if this is possible through usb.
What I described is different than what you are describing.

What you are describing is the ability to switch which driver the Nvidia card is using.

What I am describing is the fact your computer has two different graphics cards, Nvidia and Intel. (Intel is built in with the cpu). Each of those cards would have their own graphics driver installed. The switching to which I refer is the ability to switch between using the Nvidia card and the Intel card. The technology used to be able to switch between Intel and Nvidia has changed over the Mint versions. What is used now was not available for LM17. That would have used a different software technology.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the Intel card should get its driver automatically from the kernel, but it was showing as N/A on the photo you posted. When you booted into the live session of Mint on the usb, you were actually using the Intel graphics to see the screen and not Nvidia. From the info you posted earlier:

Device-1: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics
vendor: CLEVO/KAPOK driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 4600 (HSW GT2)

Notice the i915 instead of N/A and the fact the renderer is listed as Intel. Your computer is not using the Nvidia card for graphics when you boot to the usb.
LM20.1 Cinnamon

Return to “Newbie Questions”