Fast file icon editing of all files within a folder in Nemo

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
motoryzen
Level 4
Level 4

Fast file icon editing of all files within a folder in Nemo

Post by motoryzen »

-- Good evening good peeps. Hopefully this is a new question here as I tried searching on here but came up empty

I have a massive movie, anime and tv series collection and I want to change all of the individual .mkv video files' icons to the same thing.

Is there a simpler way of doing this within Nemo that doesn't involve me right-clicking each and everyone of them, left clicking on the icon little box on the left, browsing for it, and applying it from there? We're talking well over 5000 files easily here.

LM 20.1 Cinnamon 4.8.6 on Kernel 5.10.17 ( via Ubuntu Mainline Kernel installer and everything is working correctly as it should so far :D ) --
Kadaitcha Man
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Fast file icon editing of all files within a folder in Nemo

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

motoryzen wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:59 pm
-- Good evening good peeps. Hopefully this is a new question here as I tried searching on here but came up empty

I have a massive movie, anime and tv series collection and I want to change all of the individual .mkv video files' icons to the same thing.

Is there a simpler way of doing this within Nemo ...
Not in nemo, no, and it isn't a simple thing to do because you must get at the guts of the desktop environment and change the icon for the appropriate mime type. Knowing that, I did a little research using linux mint mime type icons as the search terms and browsed a few of the resources. There are far too many instructions available for me to spend time working it all out for you. Some of the suggestions are old, some are for LM MATE, etc etc. So there's some research for you to do. While I can't give you the instructions, I can at least set you off in the right direction.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.
motoryzen
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Fast file icon editing of all files within a folder in Nemo

Post by motoryzen »

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:59 pm
motoryzen wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:59 pm

Is there a simpler way of doing this within Nemo ...
Not in nemo, no, and it isn't a simple thing to do because you must get at the guts of the desktop environment and change the icon for the appropriate mime type. Knowing that, I did a little research using linux mint mime type icons as the search terms and browsed a few of the resources. There are far too many instructions available for me to spend time working it all out for you. Some of the suggestions are old, some are for LM MATE, etc etc. So there's some research for you to do. While I can't give you the instructions, I can at least set you off in the right direction.
-- Very cool. Thanks much. I just made a timeshift backup as well as a full system image "clone" using Foxclone which I've had consistently good results from so far. Now I can experiment fairly safely.

Return to “Newbie Questions”