Brand spanking new

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Brand spanking new

Post by DrHu »

AGNKim wrote: I seem to find stuff like, "Installing a printer (or sound card or a second HDD) is easy! Just -$ def /edd/ ! ^hak at the >mek< load screen and, voilà!
Just -$ def /edd/ ! ^hak at the >mek< load screen..
Sorry, I don't know what that has to do with adding a printer
--maybe if you showed the link that gave you that sequence, it would be more clear.
markcynt
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markcynt »

It's best to ask a real question.

Tell us exactly what you need and exactly what you don't understand.

Here's some good reading meanwhile.

http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/ ... nglish.pdf
P5N-E SLI, Core2Duo E6850 3GHZ X 2
2 GB DDR2 800MHZ
EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
2x320GB Hitachi
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
Katzedecimal
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Katzedecimal »

Welcome to Linux! And welcome to Mint, one of the best introductions to the world of Linux :mrgreen:

Mint being based on Ubuntu, many Ubuntu books are suitable candidates for the new learner (like me :lol: ) So, "The Official Ubuntu Book" is a good place to start, as is "Ubuntu for Non-Geeks" -- that one features a lot of projects that Mint already has covered (like installing codecs), but is still a good introduction to many concepts. When you're limbered up and ready to take on a little more, "The Linux Bible" is a step into the beginner-intermediate world (though it's by no means the 'bible' it claims to be.)

One of the most educational things I ever did was to attempt an installation of Gentoo Linux onto a spare computer. The Gentoo manual is VERY well-written, explaining every step - and what it does and why - in plain language that a moderately new person can understand and follow. While you may or may not get a useable system after you're done, you WILL have a much greater understanding of how Linux - and your computer - works.

And lastly, hanging around on the Mint forum is a great way to learn. Sit and 'listen' to the gurus here, read posts, look at common problems and don't be afraid to ask for clarification. I've asked for hand-holding and 'talk simple for the n00b' many times and gotten it. So welcome to Linux Mint and I hope you find it as enjoyable as I have :mrgreen:
"Dance without sleeping, I'll dance without fear
Dance without senses, no message I hear
Dance without feeling, I'll dance 'til I'm numb
Dance 'til I think I can overcome" -- Melissa Etheridge
vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak »

Welcome to LinuxMint!!

I understand about the Linux terminology seeming like another language. In a way it is.

I found many eBooks about Linux and Debian/Ubuntu online
This is a good one ---> http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/index_main.html
Many more tutorials at . . . http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index

I have learned a lot in the few months I have been using Linux.
I have even gone into my LinusMint-7 as 'root'
At the moment, I am building an OS off Debian Squeeze (testing) Xfce. Challenging, but fun. No, really.

Also, remember, Terminal is your friend! :mrgreen: Still intimidated me. :(
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page

Return to “Newbie Questions”