My desktop is temporarily freezing up... remote desktop?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
jhirsch123
Level 1
Level 1

My desktop is temporarily freezing up... remote desktop?

Post by jhirsch123 »

I installed Linux Mint 7 a few weeks ago onto a FoxConn R20-S4 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6856119013 bare bones PC with an Atom 330 processor and integrated Intel video (945GC I believe). With the exception of a few VNC packages I installed and un-installed, it is close to a stock install. I have applied all the updates, even a level 4, because I read that a driver upgrade could address the issue. I have researched this extensively too, so perhaps this is the wrong thread for me to post this. Please advise if so.

My Gnome desktop freezes up until I move the mouse or hit a key. So, when I'm using Remote Desktop (vino, which there doesn't seem to be much documentation on), my remote session will stop responding. When I go look at the actual monitor the time in the lower right of the screen will be frozen, the cursor will stop blinking, etc.. The screen is frozen. But when I move the mouse or press a key, it "comes back to life"... and whatever I've done with the mouse/keyboard in the remote session "catches up". (For instance, if I'm typing something in the VNC session, it doesn't show up, and then when move the mouse, it well, catches up and I see the letters get typed). I also get an error from the TightVNC client that says "readExact: Socket error while reading". I have researched this but found nothing that seems related (including trying some different MTU settings). The problem does not seem to occur unless I'm using Remote Desktop...

I can SSH into the box the whole time and have even tried killing/restarting Vino in an attempt to get back into the box via TightVNC, but no luck. At least then I could get back in my session and continue this post. Rebooting the whole PC from a remote SSH terminal is the only way to be able to get back in the box. And then it's only a matter of time before the next freeze.

Unfortunately this generates a lot of questions for me...

How do I troubleshoot this?
Should I remove vino or remote desktop and see if the monitor still freezes?
Should I use a different VNC server that can remote into my "Display 0"?
Should I install a "clean" installation of Linux Mint on the same partition to isolate wether it's something I could have installed or misconfigured?

Or some simpler questions:
How do I restart the X session or Vino from an SSH session? (I can't believe I have to reboot to fix this!). No luck on the web with this either.

Any help with the specific questions or general insight as to the nature of my problem would be a great help.

Thanks,
Jon
mcash454
Level 2
Level 2

Re: My desktop is temporarily freezing up... remote desktop?

Post by mcash454 »

Jon, you are many steps ahead of me, but I can verify similar behavior using VNC / remote desktop. I remotely logged into my Gloria x64 desktop via my PS3 (running Yellow Dog 4.1, using VNC), and the screen simply would not update. If I went back to my desktop and 'bumped' it (keyboard or mouse), the display was updated. I didn't care enough to do any trouble-shooting though; I just gave up because I had no legitimate reason to want to remotely log on through my PS3. :oops:
Helena Main Edition desktop user
former Gloria x64 desktop user
jhirsch123
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jhirsch123 »

haha, very nice. Well, it's good know that someone else is having similar issues. Did you install any other VNC packages or anything, or just stay strictly with Mint's Remote Desktop?

I'm tried using Krfb which kind of works, although the screen colors are all messed up. But if it doesn't freeze, at least I've helped pinpoint the problem.

I'll probably try another install of mint, or perhaps just move onto Debian :-)

I'll let you know how I make out.

Jon
mcash454
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mcash454 »

jhirsch123 wrote:Did you install any other VNC packages or anything, or just stay strictly with Mint's Remote Desktop?
As you probably would guess, I only used the Mint Remote Desktop. Please do let me know what you find out, whether you find a solution or determine that fixing this is a HUGE issue. Thanks!
Helena Main Edition desktop user
former Gloria x64 desktop user

Return to “Newbie Questions”