Remove "Favorites" from nemo tree view in LM20.1

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Remove "Favorites" from nemo tree view in LM20.1

Post by GS3 »

I just installed LM20.1 Cinnamon and I do not like the new tree view in the left panel in nemo. Probably just because I am used to the old one.

First and foremost I want to get rid of "Bookmarks" entry in "places view or in tree view get rid of "favorites".
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Remove "Favorites" from nemo tree view in LM20.1

Post by absque fenestris »

Could you post a screenshot, please?

For comparison, here is the Nemo Treeview in Mint 20.0

... by the way, it is precisely these "little things and improvements" that make me shy away from an internal version upgrade.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

Here you go.
Attachments
Favorites-01.png
Favorites-01.png (4.5 KiB) Viewed 1714 times
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Oh yeah! How I hate the bookmarks, favorites and whatever they are called in Windows ...
And now Mint starts this bullshit.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

I don't understand why they would at least not give the user the option to delete it.

If it were up to me I would also get rid of "Home" and leave only "File System". I mean, if you display the root file system then Home is right there.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

... or with "Home" the only practical "Favorite" is already there ... 8)
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

With MS-Windows, in the worst of cases, you could usually tinker with some key in the Registry and put things the way you wanted them.

I am sure there is some file somewhere in LM which contains the secret key to deleting the odious star. The question is where.

BTW, I just now realized the meaning of "absque fenestris". Cute. Interestingly, I found the phrase is used in some medieval religious code which says something to the effect that the good and just shall live in palaces while the bad and evil shall live in workhouses without windows. Is that where we are now? In a workhouse without windows? Linux? :shock:
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Not quite - at the time I became a member here, I simply did not own or use anything of the well-known window sales organization, and I had no intention of doing so ...

Rotten apple in Latin would have been an alternative too ... :mrgreen:
hpmc13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hpmc13 »

absque fenestris wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:25 pm Oh yeah! How I hate the bookmarks, favorites and whatever they are called in Windows ...
And now Mint starts this bullshit.
Wholeheartedly agree. If I wanted my OS to wipe my nose for me I would go back to Windows. Hopefully this will become an option in the next iteration.
Edit: I mean removing "Favorites" from the menu will become an option, not having having Mint wipe my nose.
Running LM 20 Cinnamon
newlyminted7
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newlyminted7 »

I think if you remove everything from your Favorites by right clicking on the file(s) in Nemo and selecting "Remove from Favorites", the Favorite item will disappear from Nemo in Places view (and from the Main Mint menu), since it is now empty. At least it did for me.
Last edited by newlyminted7 on Wed May 05, 2021 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

newlyminted7 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:39 pm I think if you remove everything from your Favorites by right clicking on the file(s) in Nemo and selecting "Remove from Favorites", the Favorite item will disappear from the Nemo tree (and from the Main Mint menu), since it is now empty. At least it did for me.
Not for me running LM 20.1. What are you running?
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Am in VirtualBox with Debbie right now - and no, the damn favorite star remains stubbornly in place.

Nemo Favorites.png
newlyminted7
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newlyminted7 »

It removes it from the "Places" view, at least (LM 20.1).
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

newlyminted7 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:53 pmIt removes it from the "Places" view, at least (LM 20.1).
I want to remove it from tree view. It makes more sense in "places" view than in "tree" view.

I don't know why they tinker with these stupid things and they don't fix other bugs which are carried from one version to the next.

If they feel they must put the stupid "Favorites" there then at least give me a way of removing it.

What's next? The ribbon?
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

What it does in the "Places" view is relatively indifferent to me.
It gets annoying in the sacrosanct "Tree View". I would like to forbid any changes and, above all, any favorite ...
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

GS3 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:00 pm ...
What's next? The ribbon?
My last refuge would still be OSX 10.5 Leopard --- and the Huawei would be sold...
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

absque fenestris wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:00 pmWhat it does in the "Places" view is relatively indifferent to me.
It gets annoying in the sacrosanct "Tree View". I would like to forbid any changes and, above all, any favorite ...
I totally agree with this. I mean the tree view is supposed to be an objective and faithful representation of the storage and directory structure. Favorites just has no place there. At all.

It seems to me Favorites, if it belongs anywhere, it would be in places and not in the tree view.
newlyminted7
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newlyminted7 »

I agree with both you guys.
And, to me, the funny thing is that something being a "Favorite" implies it being "elective", which is exactly what the Favorites tree view menu option distinctlly is not. :lol:
Maybe just an oversight by the devs.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Another thing I would like to be spared are so-called "smart folders" - also such a superfluous idea that has taken shape at some point in the other systems...
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

I also don’t desire having the Favorites folder in Treeview with it’s glaring icon, and think there should be an option to remove it.

What is strange is the favorites@cinnamon.org folder in /usr/share/cinnamon/applets, which was added to Mint 20.1, the same time the Favorites folder apppeared in Nemo. It appears to be related but editing the applet.js or metadata.jason files in that folder don’t have any effect.

Here is a method to change that folder without needing to edit and re-compile the Nemo source code. The program Poedit needs to be installed and the Nemo source code still needs to be downloaded. The icon can be changed by replacing the xapp-user-favorites.svg icon in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/places.

This picture shows shows the word Favorites and it’s icon removed but there will be an empty space and the arrow will remain:

favorites removal.png
favorites removal.png (36.94 KiB) Viewed 1345 times

Or replace Favorites with Downloads, or any other folder, and then remove the Downloads folder listed under Home.

favorites removal 2.png
favorites removal 2.png (34.06 KiB) Viewed 1345 times

This picture shows Favorites replaced with the Undesirables folder with it’s thumbs down icon:

favorites removal-3.png

Detailed instructions can be posted for anyone wanting to use this method.

Return to “Beginner Questions”