linux 5 to linux 7

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
rich_roast
Level 6
Level 6

Re: linux 5 to linux 7

Post by rich_roast »

The easiest way to achieve this is to download the gloria ISO and install this over the linux 5 partition. If that partition has /home on it then a backup of personal data will be necessary, of course, for this purpose mintBackup. I know of no "easy" way to distupgrade from 5 straight to 7, so this method might be least problematic IMO.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

Wouldn't it be better to wait until Linux Mint 8 is out?
Linux Mint 19.0 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

shady101 wrote:yes but wont it be easier to upgrade from 7 to 8 rather than 5 to 8?
It would be but even upgrading from 7 to 8 isn't 100% perfect.

It's up to you though but I think I'd wait another month or so and use version 8.
Linux Mint 19.0 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Clean install - best way.
Core i7 Asus Strix GTX 960 Linux Mint 19.3

STAY SAFE
pluraldave
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pluraldave »

rich_roast wrote:The easiest way to achieve this is to download the gloria ISO and install this over the linux 5 partition. If that partition has /home on it then a backup of personal data will be necessary, of course, for this purpose mintBackup. I know of no "easy" way to distupgrade from 5 straight to 7, so this method might be least problematic IMO.
The same as this ^^ except you'll use Mint 8 (when it's out) instead of Mint 7.

The easiest way to upgrade is to prepare for it properly the first time you install the OS and separate your OS and your data into separate partitions. If you haven't already done that you should make sure you do it on the next install.

Return to “Newbie Questions”